Froyo DK28 is out for EPIC

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
So if they do make any minor, last minute changes, will they change it to a new build from DK28? If they do, will we all still receive the actual OTA update? I just don't want to do this if I'll be missing something when the actual OTA update is sent to my phone.

If there are any changes then the build number will change, yes. If you are rooted, then you will not receive the update OTA and you will have to apply it manually like this current build. Like I said this may very well end up being a final build, it looks pretty solid, but it might not be.

Reactions: jerbeck24

jerbeck24

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
If there are any changes then the build number will change, yes. If you are rooted, then you will not receive the update OTA and you will have to apply it manually like this current build. Like I said this may very well end up being a final build, it looks pretty solid, but it might not be.

Ok thanks a lot. I am stock, not rooted. If there are any changes to the build, I should get an OTA then.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Ok thanks a lot. I am stock, not rooted. If there are any changes to the build, I should get an OTA then.

Well, maybe. I'm not 100% positive on if the different build number would be recognized as an update. It SHOULD, but don't hold me to that as OTA updates seem to be very sensitive and picky, as such the case with removing bloatware.

jerbeck24

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Well, maybe. I'm not 100% positive on if the different build number would be recognized as an update. It SHOULD, but don't hold me to that as OTA updates seem to be very sensitive and picky, as such the case with removing bloatware.

Well, I haven't removed anything. I literally just took the update, downloaded it, changed the filename to "update.zip" and manually installed it. If I'm worried about it, how would I go back to DI18? Would you go back and wait for the OTA to be received if you were on stock this whole time waiting for Froyo?

bipoler#AC

Banned
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I LOVE how we can now turn 3G data off! Going to be GREAT!!!! For battery life ifyour not receiving mms or data!!!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Well, I haven't removed anything. I literally just took the update, downloaded it, changed the filename to "update.zip" and manually installed it. If I'm worried about it, how would I go back to DI18? Would you go back and wait for the OTA to be received if you were on stock this whole time waiting for Froyo?

I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you. If the current build is working for you with no major issues then I wouldn't stress about flashing back to stock or anything. You're now on FroYo and this baby is pretty darn close to, if it's not, a final build. I would be surprised if this didn't turn out to be a final build, to be completely honest. Any changes they do make to this build would more than likely be incredibly minor, I don't anticipate them adding anything significant as far as features and such goes. If the build changes, all you'll have to do is the same exact process you did with this build to update, or wait and see if an OTA comes along.

jerbeck24

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you. If the current build is working for you with no major issues then I wouldn't stress about flashing back to stock or anything. You're now on FroYo and this baby is pretty darn close to, if it's not, a final build. I would be surprised if this didn't turn out to be a final build, to be completely honest. Any changes they do make to this build would more than likely be incredibly minor, I don't anticipate them adding anything significant as far as features and such goes. If the build changes, all you'll have to do is the same exact process you did with this build to update, or wait and see if an OTA comes along.

Ok, the only issue I'm having right now is NO GPS lock at all. I was getting a pretty quick lock with the cold start workaround on DI18. Any clue how to get the cold start workaround going on DK28? I tried the *#1472365# from the dialer and it did nothing...

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
If I'm worried about it, how would I go back to DI18? Would you go back and wait for the OTA to be received if you were on stock this whole time waiting for Froyo?

http://forum.androidcentral.com/epic-4g-roms-hacks/35212-how-factory-restore.html

And no, I'm very happy with this Froyo version. You couldn't bribe me to go back to Eclair :p

I LOVE how we can now turn 3G data off! Going to be GREAT!!!! For battery life ifyour not receiving mms or data!!!

I would be careful with this. Before Froyo was leaked, I requested that a ROM on XDA add a feature to turn off 3G to improve battery life. The developer explained that this only works for GSM phones. On CDMA phones like the Epic, it takes more battery to keep a 1X signal than a 3G signal. But by means try it out and let us know.

Ok, the only issue I'm having right now is NO GPS lock at all. I was getting a pretty quick lock with the cold start workaround on DI18. Any clue how to get the cold start workaround going on DK28? I tried the *#1472365# from the dialer and it did nothing...

GPS still seems to be hit and miss for people. If you're really desperate, some folks on XDA have said that flashing back to DI18 Eclair, getting a GPS lock, and then flashing Froyo fixes this problem. There is a detailed procedure on how to do it, and I could try and find it if you like.

sushi

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

Was your GPS on when you flashed (mine wasn't)? I'm currently going back to DI18 to enable the GPS (and get a lock), then reflashing DK28.

jerbeck24

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
My GPS was not on when I flashed DK28. Are you going through odin to go back to DI18 to turn on your GPS? I only have a Mac computer and cannot download odin. Are there any other options?

jerbeck24

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
http://forum.androidcentral.com/epic-4g-roms-hacks/35212-how-factory-restore.html

And no, I'm very happy with this Froyo version. You couldn't bribe me to go back to Eclair :p

I would be careful with this. Before Froyo was leaked, I requested that a ROM on XDA add a feature to turn off 3G to improve battery life. The developer explained that this only works for GSM phones. On CDMA phones like the Epic, it takes more battery to keep a 1X signal than a 3G signal. But by means try it out and let us know.

GPS still seems to be hit and miss for people. If you're really desperate, some folks on XDA have said that flashing back to DI18 Eclair, getting a GPS lock, and then flashing Froyo fixes this problem. There is a detailed procedure on how to do it, and I could try and find it if you like.

If you could find that, it would be great. I'm using a Mac though, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it...

ejohnnyk

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm not rooted and just updated to 2.2.

***WARNING***

The Alarm app is gone, replaced by an app called Clock. My previous alarms are gone. Anyone who relies on the phone's alarm to wake-up will need to reprogram alarms.

Otherwise, this build feels great. Just starting to check out new features now.

There are a number of new apps:

Voice Recorder
Video Player
Task Manager (same as 2.1, but now in App List)
News & Weather
Free HD Game
Clock (Alarm app is gone)

The Calendar app has a new icon, which I like a lot better considering the old icon displayed 25, which was not the actual date. Wish the actual date would display like iOS and webOS.

The messaging app now color-codes sent and received messages.

Touchwiz 3.0 allows more customization of home screens. The four "quick launch" icons remain the same and can't be customized. (Wrong: they can be customized)

Skype finally works!!!

I've moved some larger apps to the SD Card, which is great.

I'd definitely be interested in updating to the official version of 2.2 that moves OTA, but I'm not sure if that's even necessary at this point.

I'd love to know if the "Airplane Mode Trick" is still required to stop the phone from searching for a GSM signal.

GPS seems to be more responsive, but I wasn't really having problems getting a lock with 2.1.

Last edited:
Reactions: dragonol2

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
If you could find that, it would be great. I'm using a Mac though, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it...

It looks like the long and involved GPS fix was for older Froyo leaks. For this one, you need to flash back to stock (Windows only, sorry!), get a GPS lock, leave GPS on, and then flash Froyo.

But be warned - some users are reporting even this does not work, so it may not be worth your trouble.

I'd love to know if the "Airplane Mode Trick" is still required to stop the phone from searching for a GSM signal.

Yup, it is - if I don't do it after every reboot I get time without signal = 50%

jerbeck24

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not rooted and just updated to 2.2.

***WARNING***

The Alarm app is gone, replaced by an app called Clock. My previous alarms are gone. Anyone who relys on the phone's alarm to wake-up will need to reprogram alarms.

Otherwise, this build feels great. Just starting to check out new features now.

There are a number of new apps:

Voice Recorder
Video Player
Task Manager (same as 2.1, but now in App List)
News & Weather
Free HD Game
Clock (Alarm app is gone)

The Calendar app has a new icon, which I like a lot better considering the old icon displayed 25, which was not the actual date. Wish the actual date would display like iOS and webOS.

The messaging app now color-codes sent and received messages.

Touchwiz 3.0 allows more customization of home screens. The four "quick launch" icons remain the same and can't be customized.

Skype finally works!!!

I've moved some larger apps to the SD Card, which is great.

I'd definitely be interested in updating to the official version of 2.2 that moves OTA, but I'm not sure if that's even necessary at this point.

GPS seems to be more responsive, but I wasn't really having problems getting a lock with 2.1.

You actually can customize the four main icons on touchwiz 3.0. You hit "applications" and then hold the menu button. It is somewhat like iOS and you can reorganize your apps in the list and you can drag them down to the dock and change the icons that are down there. Unfortunately, you cannot shorten the names or change the actual icon of the app you are placing there.

Reactions: ejohnnyk

ejohnnyk

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
You actually can customize the four main icons on touchwiz 3.0. You hit "applications" and then hold the menu button. It is somewhat like iOS and you can reorganize your apps in the list and you can drag them down to the dock and change the icons that are down there. Unfortunately, you cannot shorten the names or change the actual icon of the app you are placing there.

My bad. Thanks for the tip.

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else try the camera?? I find the quality is worse..

Also, the Gallery takes longer to load due to the unneeded animation...

FSchmitthammer

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
How To Upgrade To Final Froyo From Leaked Build

I have upgraded to the leaked Froyo build for my Epic. When the official OTA build is released, how will I goto that build?