Froyo DK28 is out for EPIC

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
so when i check for this update do i go to Update firmware or update android nothing is showing up on either for an update :(

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
No public OTA update is expected at this time. You will have to update using one of the methods in post #2, or wait for the "real" official update and OTA updating ability (date unknown).

Reactions: gitit20

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
No public OTA update is expected at this time. You will have to update using one of the methods in post #2, or wait for the "real" official update and OTA updating ability (date unknown).

that stinks lol if i were to down load it and do the rename to update and put it on my memory card will it wipe out my phone like it was new or will it update the os and all will still be there... I am new to android but i still have my Sprint Pre Plus haha :p

jerbeck24

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
that stinks lol if i were to down load it and do the rename to update and put it on my memory card will it wipe out my phone like it was new or will it update the os and all will still be there... I am new to android but i still have my Sprint Pre Plus haha :p

I did this manual update too...no problems at all, everything was there including my LauncherPro Plus icons and screen setup.

Reactions: gitit20

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site

It shouldn't wipe your data. I've used this method quite a few times in the past because I was too impatient to wait for an OTA and everything stayed just the way it was prior to updating. I can't say you WON'T have any problems because you never truly know, but mine always went off without a hitch.

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Guys you have been a big help this really is a great community... I am sure i will have to re-root after the update with z4root I guess it will still work I hope so anyways :p Thanks again guys...

Royce

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Our pleasure Royce. Be sure to check back with us and let us know how everything went. As for z4root, you should be fine there as well. It works on other 2.2 devices so there shouldn't be any reason why it won't work here.

BBooDad

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
No data wipe. Worked well for me with the update.zip file. Just no difference in the Home Dock yet. Interestingly, I don't see that app in the Market, so hopefully Samsung is fixing it for Froyo now.

AdamBv1

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Well I was getting errors when i tried to update and found out that the old One Click Root 2.2.5 has conflicts with this update (modified system/bin/playlogo) so I removed it and the update worked fine.

That being said for some reason now everything is seriously laggy, the status bar takes about 5 seconds to show after I try to pull it down, haptic feedback is broken and root wont install. I'm going to try resetting it and see how it behaves once I get everything back up and running.

AdamBv1

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Yep, a hard reset took care of everything and the phone is running fast and smooth now.

Now to discover all the joys of foryo.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Guys you have been a big help this really is a great community... I am sure i will have to re-root after the update with z4root I guess it will still work I hope so anyways :p Thanks again guys...

Royce

There's a pre-rooted, zip-aligned stock version floating around from ACS on XDA

jmartinbsu

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Battery Charging?

Was running stock 2.1 on my epic before I updated to this last night. Just did reset holding down voldown+cam+power and the update.zip option. installed without issue.

After that I let my phone alone to recharge around 5:30 am this morning.
As of 9 am I've gone from 16% to 22%....which is definitely not normal.

Going to turn it off and let it charge without the phone being one to see if there's a significant improvement.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Question - I have used One Click Root 2.4.0, just to attain Wireless Tether (going on road trip and want to use laptop).

Do I need to unroot to update? I saw conflict listed above on different method. Or if I do update, will it stay rooted?

Would love to play, but really want the wireless tether to entertain kids on trip.

alex737

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I updated last night. No issues. Phone charges fine. No lag. Actually, everything seems a little crisper faster

I was not rooted before the upgrade and still am not. My root today and play since I am getting a replacement phone delivered on Monday. I dropped and put a crack, top to bottom on the screen. Sucks real bad.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Question - I have used One Click Root 2.4.0, just to attain Wireless Tether (going on road trip and want to use laptop).

Do I need to unroot to update? I saw conflict listed above on different method. Or if I do update, will it stay rooted?

Would love to play, but really want the wireless tether to entertain kids on trip.

I would just load the acs rom. Its stock but also rooted and has superuser cooked into the rom

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Well I was getting errors when i tried to update and found out that the old One Click Root 2.2.5 has conflicts with this update (modified system/bin/playlogo) so I removed it and the update worked fine.

You can try what this user did to install the update.zip.

There's a pre-rooted, zip-aligned stock version floating around from ACS on XDA

This is a good option, but be aware that you do need to have Clockwork installed.

After that I let my phone alone to recharge around 5:30 am this morning.
As of 9 am I've gone from 16% to 22%....which is definitely not normal.

Going to turn it off and let it charge without the phone being one to see if there's a significant improvement.

WiFi on Froyo seems to like eating battery while the screen is off. Try either turning WiFi off during times like this, or go to Settings>Wireless and network>Wi-Fi settings>tap menu button>Advanced>Wi-Fi sleep policy>After 15 minites

iirc ACS said Wireless Tether is not working on straight Froyo - you may need a custom ROM version of it.

If I do the manual update, will I still be able to get the OTA update later?

No OTA updates, but equivalent non-OTA updates will be posted here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci