My wife's Epic is only about 1 month old. We noticed over the last week her battery is losing charge very quickly.. I've been monitoring it with a battery app and if we charge it too full charge, leave it off the charger sitting overnight with all apps off except for the occasional email checking it will go from full down to about 20 % in less than 6 hours sitting idle... No calls, maybe a text or two received and thats it... My Epic on the other hand will maybe go from full down to 80 percent overnight doing the same things sitting idle.
Has anyone been threw this before and if so is Sprint honoring a battery replacement for this type of issue without a fight over being considered warranty or not.. ?
- 12-06-2010, 01:48 PM #2
- 509 Posts
if you are not getting a weak signal, it's probably a bad battery. If the 3G signal is very weak, you can either put it in airplane mode or get Power Control Plus ($1.99) so that you can put a button on your homescreen called "Cellular Data Connection" which you can use to turn off the 3G, making it just do calls and text (until you turn it back on). Alternatively, you can get the free Juice Defender and Enable it with the following settings: Schedule: Keep Data disabled, Traffic: Leave Data enabled while>50kb/15s, Screen: Leave Data enabled while screen is on. This allows 3G data to sleep while your screen is off and will come back on when you unlock it. If none of these battery tweaks fix the problem, it's probably a weak battery.