1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Epic and Battery Meter Readings

Hey guys,

I have discovered a way to squeeze a little bit more life out of the Epic.

I always charge the phone overnight with the standard 700 ma wall charger. Usually I turn it off before charging, but sometimes I leave it on. When I wake up, the LED is blue, but my Battery Gauge Widget indicates that I only have a 97 or 98% charge.

Next, I drive 30 minutes to work while streaming Slacker Radio over 3G. My Epic is plugged into my 950 ma Motorola car charger.

When I get to work, the LED is blue again. Except, my battery gauge is now at 100%. This indication seems legitimate -- the battery level counts down from 100 at its normal rate.

Anybody else notice this? For reference, I have a launch day Epic. I have NOT updated to the Froyo leak; I'm still using firmware version DI18.

After my Epic says it's charged, if I want it to read 100% I usually have to unplug and replug it in, then let it give the fully charged message again.

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Most software/hardware combinations are designed to let the battery drain a couple percentage points after a full charge in order to prevent an overcharge which could potentially do damage. But I agree with the plugging it back in for a short period of time to bring it back up to 100%. I usually just use my car charger for this.

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I've read that some other phones benefit from this technique (known as 'bump charging'), but I could never make it work with the standard Epic wall charger.

ROM
    Just Rooted, stock Rom

I can't do it with the wall charger either but i can do it by pluging it into the usb port of my PC. But after awhile with the phone , I'm able to last and average of 18hrs that I'm fine with the 97% charge. With the froyo update I'm getting less time now though.

ROM
    AOKP'ing it.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Not a terribly a big deal, but there's something about fully charged where I'd like to read 100%. So I'll give this a try.

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Extremely annoying to not get 100% from a phone you just unplugged. My work around is this. I purchased 2 additional batteries, and a wall charger ($10). When the installed battery is low, I put in a new one, and it always starts at 100%. I only use the battery wall charger, and never plug in my phone.

They are the cheap EBay ones, and they last just as long as the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Robcy View Post
    Extremely annoying to not get 100% from a phone you just unplugged. My work around is this. I purchased 2 additional batteries, and a wall charger ($10). When the installed battery is low, I put in a new one, and it always starts at 100%. I only use the battery wall charger, and never plug in my phone.

They are the cheap EBay ones, and they last just as long as the original.
    I also bought oem slot charger and spare battery and noticed slot charger will allow it to charge to 100 percent.

Global Posts
    356 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock TW FH13 ICS 4.0.4

Default What is wrong with Epic's battery indicator????

I charged it overnight, used it during the day (regular usage, browsed a couple of times, text messaged, facebook) and at about midnight the battery reads that its about half full. Then when i turn the phone off and plug it in to charge, the battery says that its about a quarter full?? what is going on here?

The battery meter can become inaccurate if you don't let it completely discharge every once and a while. Try letting the phone die and then charging back to 100% without unplugging it.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    The battery meter can become inaccurate if you don't let it completely discharge every once and a while. Try letting the phone die and then charging back to 100% without unplugging it.
    I have heard that is not good (to the point of damaging) to fully discharge a lithium-ion battery pack like you could with the NIMH or Ni-Cad batteries.

By completely discharge, I mean run your phone until it shuts itself off. It won't let you 100% discharge it, it shuts down before that point.