Same old Samsung

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
Samsung undecided about Gingerbread on Galaxy S

Samsung undecided about Gingerbread on Galaxy S, Google says hardware needs 'similar' to Froyo -- Engadget

I loved the Epic so much, that i decided to give Samsung one last shot. But they released the Epic with an already dated OS (which still isn't officially updated and is now 2 versions behind), and if they are already contemplating not updating their Galaxy S series to Gingerbread (an OS that came out mere months after their phones launched), then i have a serious problem with this. They've sold millions upon millions of these phones, and if they are seriously content with leaving them as is, then this reaffirms my prevailing thought that i should have gone with HTC (who immediately released Froyo on the Evo when available and has stated they're bringing Gingerbread ASAP).

I can only see if they came out and said that they were skipping Gingerbread to bring Honeycomb to Galaxy S, that would be fine.

But if things continue like this, i will be actively looking to sell my Epic or trade from an Evo and never buy Samsung again.

Reactions: bipoler#AC

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
My Fascinate is awsome even with 2.1. and with 2.2 will be even better...And if i dont get Gingerbread, thats fine the phone will still be awsome we will find a way to do it on our own if we really want...Gingerbread is not the cure for cancer and by the time Honeycomb comes around ill sell off my phone and buy a new one anyway.

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
You're right. I'm really happy with the phone as is with 2.2, but it's just frustrating to a consumer to purchase from Samsung and then not have them put out the same level of support that HTC and even Motorola do.

scheets973

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree with the dissapointment. I really anticipated this would be a supported device and if it's not it really would be unfortunate. This phone really showed its self to be auspicious but, to no avail. I am not sure how samsung justifys itself with this move. HOWEVER, you know why samsung is in the driver seat? They just sold 34 percent of the android phones on the market today-- that's the most of any company; not hurting for users....

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm still convinced we'll be seeing it at some point, regardless. I think Samsung might just be being cautious with how they word it to avoid people pinning any promises on them for now. We'll see.

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Yay! I can't wait for 3rd quarter 2011! ;)

Bah, I will have a new phone by then. Man I love Sprint's yearly upgrade... If Samsungs releases a new phone (with keyboard) by then, I might still buy. As I really have nothing 'major' to complain about. My biggest gripe 'was 'GPS' but that works now. I am just hoping that Samsung has learned some...

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure who i am more dissapointed in, Sprint or Samsung.
Sprint should be pushing for an upgrade since its 1 of only 2 phones that support WiMax. They advertised heavily for both phones and i would consider both phones to be flasgship devices. But to see the EVO get 2.2 first and now rumors of it getting 2.3 is amazing, while were still waiting for the 2.2 upgrade on the Epic.
oh well, i have both phones, and when samsung decies to give an update to the Epic i will go back to it, even if its only temporary. LOL

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I love froyo. Gingerbread adds nothing I can use. Streaming music is the only addtion I would use.
When I get a new phone I'm going to be stoke with the nfc chips when that catches on.

Anyways we only have to wait a half a year+ to upgrade.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Samsung undecided about Gingerbread on Galaxy S

Samsung undecided about Gingerbread on Galaxy S, Google says hardware needs 'similar' to Froyo -- Engadget

I loved the Epic so much, that i decided to give Samsung one last shot. But they released the Epic with an already dated OS (which still isn't officially updated and is now 2 versions behind), and if they are already contemplating not updating their Galaxy S series to Gingerbread (an OS that came out mere months after their phones launched), then i have a serious problem with this. They've sold millions upon millions of these phones, and if they are seriously content with leaving them as is, then this reaffirms my prevailing thought that i should have gone with HTC (who immediately released Froyo on the Evo when available and has stated they're bringing Gingerbread ASAP).

I can only see if they came out and said that they were skipping Gingerbread to bring Honeycomb to Galaxy S, that would be fine.

But if things continue like this, i will be actively looking to sell my Epic or trade from an Evo and never buy Samsung again.

So Samsung is not sure whether it will bring the new software to its flagship line of smart phones with the same hardware.......i really really really dont get it......

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Samsung tweeted a while ago that apparently the entire Galaxy line will receive Gingerbread. I'm not sure if anyone knows exactly what their stance is at this point, but I'd be surprised if we never saw Gingerbread.

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
i love people who defend their gadgets blindly

Just curious- how many updates is "enough"? So if we get gingerbread but not Honeycomb does Samsung still suck in your book even though they supported 2 OS updates in a 1year lifespan of a phone and have since released numerous upgraded phones?

Mind you- I wish EVERY phone was officially supported by the manufactures- but I can't expect them to when it's a major selling point. My car stereo I can flash new system OS to it...but Pioneer RARELY supports this feature- and instead rolls out new hardware requiring you to throw out the old...I'd PAY for an updated OS honestly to avoid the hardware waste- but often that isn't provided.

I expected Froyo and knew it'd be late (but I did hope by the holidays released) My bigger disappointment is the flat out BUGS in the Samsung OS that they should be held accountable for by Sprint and instead sprint just says - well you had a 30 day trial period... and act like it's ok to have a phone on the market that does not operate without unfixable problems- and then they void the warranty when you ROOT to install a FIX to the broken issues!

Forget the OS updates- give me a phone without major KNOWN bugs after being on the market for 3 months!

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
Just curious- how many updates is "enough"? So if we get gingerbread but not Honeycomb does Samsung still suck in your book even though they supported 2 OS updates in a 1year lifespan of a phone and have since released numerous upgraded phones?

I think you're missing the point that Samsung originally said they weren't sure they were going to update to Gingerbread.

That was incredulous for a flagship phone which launched with an already outdated OS, and will soon be 2 OS versions behind.

I was flabbergasted to see that all Samsung was planning to do (at the time) was upgrade the Galaxy S series to Froyo (which it should have had at launch or shortly thereafter), and that's it.

Think about that...

Epic launches on August 31 with 2.1

Evo had Froyo on August 2

Gingerbread launches December 16

And (at the time), all Samsung planned to do with their flagship line was to upgrade it to where it should have been at launch and drop support when a new OS is available a mere 3 1/2 months later? Just rest on their laurels?

I know that is what had me peeved (and others). Honeycomb is too far off to care about. That will be a wait and see what everyone else does.

For instance, if the Evo, Droid 2, Droid X, etc receive Honeycomb, then i sure expect Samsung to do the same for the Galaxy S.

All i want from the manufacturer of my phone that i invested in, is to stay on par with the other manufacturers' support of their same generation phones.

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Epic launches on August 31 with 2.1

Evo had Froyo on August 2

Evo also launched 3 months ahead of Epic- and Epic is getting 2.2 three months after Evo.

Once it's apples to apples comparison... and I highly doubt we'll get gingerbread 3 months AFTER Evo... so the issue is what again?

We've debated the issue plenty at launch. Should Samsung had delayed the Galaxy S line further to wait for Froyo? NO. Has HTC successfully launched a singular hardware line across as many carriers worldwide as Samsung? NO.

So maybe we should cut Samsung a little slack with the OS rollout until they truely don't deliver. Their PR isn't the best- but I think they've established they're in this for the long haul. They're not leaving the most successful single line of Android phones this year out in the cold on 2.3.

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
Evo also launched 3 months ahead of Epic- and Epic is getting 2.2 three months after Evo.

Once it's apples to apples comparison... and I highly doubt we'll get gingerbread 3 months AFTER Evo... so the issue is what again?

My issue was the same as my first post. At the time i created this thread Samsung stated that didn't know whether they would upgrade the Galaxy S phones to Gingerbread. This was upsetting to hear that Samsung wasn't sure that they would support their flagship Galaxy S after they got them up to date with a much delayed Froyo. Evo launched in June, upgraded to Froyo and readily announced their intention to launch Gingerbread soon. They might even have Gingerbread before the Epic sees Froyo, which in my opinion is embarrassing. Froyo has been out since May, and it's currently December 9, 1 week before Gingerbread, and there's still no official update to Froyo.

We've debated the issue plenty at launch. Should Samsung had delayed the Galaxy S line further to wait for Froyo? NO. Has HTC successfully launched a singular hardware line across as many carriers worldwide as Samsung? NO.

No, it would be ridiculous to delay the Galaxy S line, but an update should have rolled out by now.

So maybe we should cut Samsung a little slack with the OS rollout until they truely don't deliver. Their PR isn't the best- but I think they've established they're in this for the long haul. They're not leaving the most successful single line of Android phones this year out in the cold on 2.3.
I have no problem with this statement. They have since said they would be bringing 2.3 to Galaxy S. My ONLY concern was that i wanted Samsung to keep up with their competition in terms of upgrading this generation of phones. We will see how it's handled, my concern was that they would finally get us to Froyo and leave us, which would make me regret not going with HTC.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan