Question for those who switched from Palm Pre

Chief85

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
So until something with better hardware comes out with WebOS, I'm making the switch to the Epic later in the week. Who knows, maybe I'll love it so much that I won't ever switch back...

So, I know how big of a long shot this is, but I was wondering if anyone had found a way to extract text message history from the Pre, and import it into Android. I'm guessing the answer is no, but thought it couldn't hurt to ask you fine people.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I suppose if you really needed them, you could forward them to someone else, switch phones, and then have that person forward them to your Epic. Sorry I don't have a better suggestion - but I don't know much about the Pre.

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
So until something with better hardware comes out with WebOS, I'm making the switch to the Epic later in the week. Who knows, maybe I'll love it so much that I won't ever switch back...

Dude, not sure about the importing of the text messages to your phone. But having come from the Pre, after spending a week with the Epic 4G, I'm saying "Palm who?" WebOS is nice, but wow, they've got some serious catching up to do on the hardware side, AND the app side of things too. I've had a blast with customizing this awesome phone! I've learned a lot and still have a lot more to do, but I'll get there with the help of the Android Central community, and a lot of google searching.

Last edited:

Matty-Mo

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
yea trust me, i came from the pixi then to the pre and then to the evo and now epic. o and had some bb's as well and nothing can touch the greatness that is epic! however i was talking to my friend at sprint and he said some store might be able to transfer the texts but wasnt sure...

ejohnnyk

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I had a Pre and loved webOS.

Android rocks. The Epic is amazing. The apps are awesome.

Just a question... I delete all of my text messages about once a month. I've never experienced a situation where I would want to save one long-term (that is what e-mail is for). Forgive me, but why would one want to save text messages?

special_k

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I work at best buy and the system we use has an option to transfer sms when we transfer contacts. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Definitely worth a shot though.

bipoler#AC

Banned
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Simply ....( I forget exactly how its been a minute) the Pre will allow you to copy all of an conversation and I would paste it into an email and save sms like that...when you "copy all" if the segment is really long then u have to do that at different points in the message to get the full message....

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

feralpanda

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I'll echo what most have said...I had a Pre for a year then switched to the Epic 4g and have zero regrets. I really really really liked my Pre and WebOS for the most part but the speed and flexibility of the Epic win out any time. There was a bit of an adjustment period but once I learned Android I really couldn't imagine going back. Plus I've been really disappointed with what looks to be the Pre's successor so you can count me as one of the many happy Epic converts.

This may be a dumb question as a follow up to a question, but whatever happened to BitPim? Do those guys do much in the way of android phones or is it mostly unnecessary now that its much easier for the end user to get into the guts of their phones? Could something like that possibly help to extract the sms stuff from his Pre?

psm9

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Also switched from the Pre (last week). I loved WebOS and held on for 6 months past my upgrade date, but when Epocrates announced they're pulling out of WebOS, I wad done.

I do NOT regret the change. The Epic is a dramatically better device (In fact, the day before I switched, a screw fell out of my Pre. Not sure from where, but that can't be a good reflection of build quality. Android is quick! and smooth. The app choices are also fantastic.

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I had a Pre and loved webOS.

Android rocks. The Epic is amazing. The apps are awesome.

Just a question... I delete all of my text messages about once a month. I've never experienced a situation where I would want to save one long-term (that is what e-mail is for). Forgive me, but why would one want to save text messages?

I don't know. Some of us are packrats. Like, I hardly deleted any of my conversations on my Pre since I "doctored it" back in April. Just the text messages from my girlfriend and I numbered near 10,000...

Anyways, to the OP, if you have Internalz on your phone, you can look for a file called PalmDatabase.db3. Don't quite remember the location atm. It's possible to save this to your computer so you can at least access it there. You can view it using either notepad, or even Microsoft Word, but the formatting will be way off. There is another program used specifically to view the contents of .db3 files, but I can't remember where it is, or what it's called. I'll see if I can dig it up when I get some spare time, unless you beat me to it.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
If you are new to Android, check this link out from the main forum menu for the Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks:

. . .
Getting Started

Even on a fast phone like the Epic, you can eventually end up on an episode of Hoarders with the fire department having to rescue you. We have had countless people say that after a few months their phone had gotten so slow as to be hard to use. Sometimes it is all the junk they have been hoarding. Bad apps and widgets also running are the other main issues.

So for this reason the advice in the Messaging Tips and Tricks section is to set the Message app to automatically delete all messages past 100 or so in a conversation. The steps are given there.

If you are coming from webOS, this section is for you:

Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android

You know how for a year and a half, developers kept coming up with amazing patches for webOS? And Palm would not listen?

Google did. Over 130 of our favorite Patches are options in Android. This guide shows you where they all are.

Chief85

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Wow, thanks for all the positive comments and helpful insights!

I understand that question. As one other poster said, some of us are packrats. Even then, I don't keep most texts. But for stupid sentimental reasons, I wanted to be able to keep texts from the S.O.

I'm going to try and figure out how to copy an entire conversation and just put it in an email; that seems like the best option. I also have ripped out the db3 file for further extraction if needed.

Thanks again everyone!

NJ2

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I had a program thats called TREODESKTOP, it would extract your CALL lists AND your TEXTS and save them, you had to run it with SYNC program. If you had to do a hard reset to your palm, you could just resync from your computers soft ware back up and it would ALSO put all your texts and call lists from the last time you did a sync, back on your palm/treo.

I'm no phone tech, but there were threads that I have read where it tells you how to save and import your contacts from SNYC to your EPIC, but I didnt do it, just did them manually one day, kept me busy and gave me a change to play with the phone.

Chief85

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I had a program thats called TREODESKTOP, it would extract your CALL lists AND your TEXTS and save them, you had to run it with SYNC program. If you had to do a hard reset to your palm, you could just resync from your computers soft ware back up and it would ALSO put all your texts and call lists from the last time you did a sync, back on your palm/treo.

I'm no phone tech, but there were threads that I have read where it tells you how to save and import your contacts from SNYC to your EPIC, but I didnt do it, just did them manually one day, kept me busy and gave me a change to play with the phone.

Perhaps the name is misleading, but this would seem to be less than helpful considering the fact that I don't have a Treo, I have a Pre...

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I think I'm a little bit late in this, but if you install Preware and then Save/Restore, you can backup your SMS messages as an HTML file. They can't be restored to anything (including another webOS device), but at least you'll have them in a readable/searchable file.

Reactions: Chief85

Chief85

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I think I'm a little bit late in this, but if you install Preware and then Save/Restore, you can backup your SMS messages as an HTML file. They can't be restored to anything (including another webOS device), but at least you'll have them in a readable/searchable file.

Perfect, this will work just fine. Thanks! Now, if my Epic would just get here already...I'm getting impatient!

junior38

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Why won't some of the my contact photos won't show up when the person calls? Only some will work even after linking all my contacts to there fb,twitter,and emails.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech