How Badly does live wallpapers drain battery

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Im getting bored of the regular wallpapers on my epic 4G and i was just wondering how having a live wallpaper on all the time affects the epic cpu and battery life? is it drastic? does it weaken the cpu? does it run even when you are not on the home screen? thanks

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Our phones are powerful enough to handle live wallpapers without problems. If you want to see if it's sapping up a lot of power, just run the wallpaper for a while and then go to Settings>About phone>Battery use. The stock live wallpapers don't seem to be a big drain, but 3rd-party ones can be.

thegov

May 6, 2010
Visit site
i always run one on my evo..i know you're asking about the epic, but they don't hurt my battery on my evo too much. i charge it every night and i use about 1 gig of data a month.

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I also have an Evo and after six months of ownership I now use a live wallpaper all the time since running juice defender. I know this is about the Epic but wanted to give my input on live wallpapers.

Butters3605

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I am also using juice defender, went all day yesterday with 3G service and a live wallpaper.

This app makes a huge difference when in a 3G area, battery was at 23% at 9pm.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I'd say it drained about 10-15% of my overall battery life throughout the day so I don't use live walls anymore. I use sweet looking digital artwork for my screen now.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Echoing what ragnarokx said, it's really the third part ones you have to be careful of. The ones pre-loaded with the phone I haven't noticed any additional drain. I have however come across 3rd party live wallpapers that have been huge battery eaters.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I loved that feature on the phone but was scared to use them. Now, thanks
to all of you who have helped me learn how to manage my phone and use it - toggles, closes, wifi settings, etc., and no Juice Defender, I am running Christmas lights - so much for for the season - and seeing no difference in
the battery.
Now DK28 is another matter . . . but live wallpapers are fun. I will do as suggested above and check battery usage, I carefully watched when I change to a new one.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Stock live wallpapers, no problem battery wise. I have had some third party monsters though......system will show them. I would not be concerened to much. If you are a battery freak.....true black.png file.

Atlienzz

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I've used live wallpapers since I've had the phone and the most I've ever seen it drain my battery is 3% at the end of the day, and that is using stock and non-stock live wallpapers.