Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts

Default Official Froyo Update on the Epic on Dec 26th?

What do you think??

Gonna have to wait and see... I think I will hold out on the current custom roms until the OTA rolls out and we see what happens.. It will probably only be a matter of a few hours and someone over at XDA will have a custom rom build off the official release...

DL11 hmmm ?

Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Saw that thread as well. I'll believe it when I see it. Hoping it's true though.

Quote Originally Posted by vader4633 View Post
    Saw that thread as well. I'll believe it when I see it. Hoping it's true though.

I'm with you I will believe it when I see it. If it's anything like the Intercept debacle going on right now or like the Vibrant on Bell I'll wait. Just build something stable and with as few bugs as possible. I know every build has bugs some more than others that's why there is updates. There is also a post in that XDA thread saying something about a DL19 release as well. DL11 is "supposed" to be the official release. If the DL19 is an update for the DL11 already just scrap the whole thing and work on 2 dot 3 please.

Sincerely yours,

4Gless (Detroit)
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts

I agree. But I believe Samsung has received a lot of flack that they haven't pushed out 2.2.1 yet and lit a fire under Sprint to get this out before the end of the year. (like they promised) Next year they will start working on 2.3 for the Epic but first they have to make good on their promise for 2.2.1. So if it is not out on the 26th, I am sure we will see it by the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by chad783 View Post
    What do you think??

Sure hope so!

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

it feels right. fingers crossed
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by tphillips78 View Post
    I'm with you I will believe it when I see it. If it's anything like the Intercept debacle going on right now or like the Vibrant on Bell I'll wait. Just build something stable and with as few bugs as possible. I know every build has bugs some more than others that's why there is updates. There is also a post in that XDA thread saying something about a DL19 release as well. DL11 is "supposed" to be the official release. If the DL19 is an update for the DL11 already just scrap the whole thing and work on 2 dot 3 please.

Sincerely yours,

4Gless (Detroit)
    Intercept Debacle??? My daughters intercept has received her froyo push and has not had any problems...

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by keithvetter View Post
    Intercept Debacle??? My daughters intercept has received her froyo push and has not had any problems...
    She's been lucky, then. A lot of people have had some major issues with the Froyo update.

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks

Quote Originally Posted by keithvetter View Post
    I was just posting what I had read. http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint...t-froyo-update

A friend of mine has the intercept and she hasn't gotten the OTA update for it yet and when she does she's not going to install it because of this.
    Nokia Lumia 920
    AT&T HTC One XL (EVITA)
    Microsoft Surface Pro 64GB
    Don't Forget To Click The Thanks Button
    Banned

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

We put to much into our devices...consumers need to TAKE back control....we are all brain washed...its sickening

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by bipoler View Post
    We put to much into our devices...consumers need to TAKE back control....we are all brain washed...its sickening
    And sadly, it'll never change. Cell phones have become such an incorporated part of our lives, they could probably start charging people for how long they have their screen on, and it wouldn't matter.

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks

Unless it is required by your place of employment, owning a cell phone is a choice. I know people who still do not own cell phones and they get along just fine.

If you do choose to own a cell phone and you're unhappy with the manufacturer or carrier, you can show that dissatisfaction by taking your business elsewhere.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    ROM
    Adrynalyne's Supah Clean

Anyone know what when they say user will receive the update based on their status with the server? What determines who gets it first and last, etc?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by burn1010 View Post
    Anyone know what when they say user will receive the update based on their status with the server? What determines who gets it first and last, etc?
    Thanks.
    Those who pay the most in monthly fees get it first, followed by users who pay on time, followed by the rest - any questions?

Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock TouchWiz

So for those of us on DK28, is there any definitive answer on whether we can OTA to DL11??
    Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.

Hahaha! YES! I get it sooner than most!

Just my thinking, but I would figure it would be based on Serial numbers that have been activated, going from smallest to largest.....this would explain those situations where someone purchased a phone 2 months after others, if it has a lower serial number then it would get the update before them.....again, just my thinking.

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    ROM
    ACS ICS v4

So when this official version finally comes out will it be possible to install it using an update.zip file to replace the leaked version of froyo that a ton of us installed a few weeks ago? i don't mind waiting a day or two for that file to come out if it saves the hassle of uninstalling the leaked version first.

(I've seen this question posted a few times in other forums and nobody ever seems to give a clear answer. I am looking for a yes or no answer please. I don't want yet another link to use odin to uninstall the leaked version before getting the new version).

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    ROM
    ACS ICS v4

Thanks! So the answer is Yes.

According the link: "I or someone else will always post a manual version of any update that is compatible with modified phones. So no need to go through the hassle of flashing back to a completely stock state."

Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWW00 View Post
    Thanks! So the answer is Yes.

According the link: "I or someone else will always post a manual version of any update that is compatible with modified phones. So no need to go through the hassle of flashing back to a completely stock state."
    I have been hoping we would be able to do the update.zip method from DK28, it sounds like we will be able to.

I can't say how the update will be packaged ahead of time, but it will be installable through one (or more) of three methods: stock recovery, ClockworkMod recovery, or Odin.

once devs get ahold of it ill make the switch, im running dk28 and have no plans on loosing root or anything like it

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    ROM
    Syndicate Rom Frozen 1.01

Default Froyo Update on the Epic on Dec 26th??

I truly hope this happens before December 31st as previously promised by Samsung on the Samsung Mobile US Twitter feed. A Couple of things that have me thinking.

1) Any chance it actually was going to be pushed out later than December 31st but the negative press / internet backlash lit a fire under Samsung / Sprint?

2) Why doesn't Sprint just release a vanilla build of Froyo and / or Gingerbread when ready and offer an update of their apps later? (completely optional of course)

3) Has this entire experience left a bad impression for anyone else not only of Samsung but of Sprint as well?

4) Would it have made a difference if either had come out and said "hey were having issues with x, we will try and fix it asap"

Communication is the key to success in any relationship.

3) Has this entire experience left a bad impression for anyone else not only of Samsung but of Sprint as well?
    Yup. I bought my Epic on Oct30 under the illusion that froyo would be coming any day. Seeing so many other devices that already had it, or got updates during the time we've all be waiting has made me really question whether or not I will purchase another Samsung device. Coming from a Palm Pre where I got 10 (or more, I lost count) updates in a year and a half, Samsung is starting to look VERY shoddy when it comes to software support. At this point I'd be willing to wager competitors devices will have Gingerbread before Samsung even announces plans to produce updates for current phones.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast