1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default No Google Earth... is it an Eclair vs Froyo thing?

I just moved to the Epic 4G from a Palm Pre, and one of the things I recall a friend of mine showing me on his Android was Google Earth (he had a Galaxy S without a keyboard, so it could have been the T-Mobile or AT&T Galaxy S).

Well, I search for it on the Android Marketplace and I can't find it. A search on the AppBrain Marketplace does find the app, but when I click on its link it takes me to the Android Marketplace, where it says the app can't be found. Is it really not available for the Epic for some reason?

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

We have another thread in the Fascinate forums talking about this as well, some thought at first that Verizon was blocking the app but that's obviously not the case now. My guess is it does have something to do with Eclair/Froyo because it disappeared for me a few weeks ago and hasn't come back. Yet it also seems as if those on Droid X's, DInc's and Evo's (which all have Froyo) can find the app just fine.

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks

Perhaps when they pushed out the Maps update- it updated Google Earth and THAT version now requires OS 2.2?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Huh. Well, I hope that once Froyo is up Google Earth comes back then. That's one of the killer apps I was looking forward to!
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

I thought it had something to do with Verizon making a new deal with Bing. I was just reading something yesterday. Same with Google calendar.
    I'll see if I still have the site in my history.
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Found it:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

That's interesting. The Epic is from Sprint though, and I don't see any MS services in it. That kind of thing is extra crappy though considering that if it's the reason for it, it's because of a carrier that doesn't even exist in my market.

I'm in Puerto Rico, and though we have T-Mobile, Sprint, and AT&T, Verizon left our market a few years ago. A Mexican company called Claro bought Verizon's PR assets and promptly switched their network from CDMA to GSM.

Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    ROM
    StarBurst ROM-LoStKernel

Yeah that's pretty strange... I've had Google Earth on my Epic for months now but don't remember how I got it... looking at the App Info, it says it's "Version 12", whatever that means... it's also listed in some places as Version 1.1. Can't view it through the Market though... very strange! I didn't know there was an issue with it until seeing your post... it does work though, which no issues whatsoever...
    "It’s only after we have lost everything that we are free to do anything…"

Tyler Durden

HTC Touch --> Samsung Instinct --> HTC Touch Pro --> Palm Pre --> Epic 4G

With 2.2 I found google earth on the market.

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I just ran the update to 2.2, and now Google Earth is available in the market on my Epic. I was not there when I had the 2.1. I would say it is a 2.1/2.2 thing.

I have it on my Epic, still running 2.1.....I just checked, and I can find it on Appbrain (which is what I used to install the app), but I couldn't find it on Market.....yet when I go to Appbrain, then click on Market, I get the same info you got about it being unavailable.

I downloaded it about 2-3 weeks ago through Appbrain, maybe it's just a glitch right now....the app is working on my phone.
    Last edited by preexisting; 12-28-2010 at 10:37 AM.