EXTREMELY LOOSE "hinge"

skatanic000

Banned
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I've had the epic since 4g was officially launched in nyc . Since than I have exchanged it twice due to loose hinges aka "OREO" effect... is there any way to tigten the hinge on the epic. I really love my phone but I hate that wobble feel to it. Samsung could have taken a few pointers from htc when it comes to slide phone hinges(mda, tilt, htc pro, pro 2 even my touch slide feel better at sliding). Please help

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
you have to take it apart to tighten 4 or 6 screws on the slider that's bolted to the back plan its a good sized tear down but it can be done i did that with one of mine before returning it for other reasons... (Front cam was out of focus)

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Second that. It's not all that difficult to take off the back, lift out the board, and then tighten the screws. All the cables inside snap into place so it's pretty easy now days. Obviously don't over tighten them. Don't want to crack the plastic or strip the screw.

It's tough plastic. You'll hear snapping when removing the back and putting it back together. Normal. Odds are you aren't going to break the plastic.

chad783

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok...I have the same problem and it is becoming quite loose with the OREO effect. I have never taken a phone a part and wouldn't know where to start. I have tried to research on how to take the phone a part but nothing has come up. Any ideas on how to start this and to prevent from taking the whole thing apart and breaking it?

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Take off the back. Undo the 7 screws. Start at the bottom and seperate the back plastic piece. Take it off.

Disconnect the LCD snap connector (just above battery tray and on left side). Disconnect the red cable on the top. Disconnect the antenna on the right side. The board will come out now. These all just snap into place.

Unscrew 4 more screws and the sheild will come up. The keyboard pad can now be removed and the hinge screws tightened.

Then, go back in reverse. Keep it dry and worst you're out is a $35 repair fee at a Sprint service center.

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I was all ready to do this until you said I have to disconnect 3 plugs to the board? I never like handling those- they're often too tight to be messing with- and if you break one, they could refuse to "repair" since you voided the warranty by opening the phone...

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Question: just how much of the oreo effect is too much? I have some on mine, probably a mm or so in both directions. Is this normal tolerance for the phone, or should the "normal" Epic have no play whatsoever? Oh, and also: when I press on the left side of the screen (all the way from the top to the bottom), there's some squeekiness.

I've had mine for about two weeks, and so I could get it replaced no problem. Don't want to do so if mine is what's considered normal, however.

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I was all ready to do this until you said I have to disconnect 3 plugs to the board? I never like handling those- they're often too tight to be messing with- and if you break one, they could refuse to "repair" since you voided the warranty by opening the phone...

They are just snap together chips. You wont have problem with those. They just pop right off. Then, you just press them together and snap them back in to reconnect. No real risk of breaking anything.

However, if you have TEP, a Sprint service center should be happy to do it for you. I've tightened a few of them over the last couple of months.

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks- I always have TEP... but last time I took a phone to sprint to repair (Palm Pre couldn't get cell service) They asked if they could factory reset the phone- I said- as long as they'll restore the settings...they said sure- wiped the phone and then said well that didn't work... then proceeded to tell me because the phone had a cracked USB port I'd have to pay the insurance fee over $100 despite the fact THEY borked my phone!

Needless to say, I don't trust Sprint to touch anything. Called Sprint three times and visited 2 other stores-trying to get either my phone fixed or replaced not at my cost but still nothing. I sucked it up, activated an old Palm treo and counted the days till Epic launch.

While I appreciate the suggestion, I don't think I'll be seeing a sprint employee anytime soon if I can help it... no offense if you are one.

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
That crack is now covered by TEP.

I am a tech but I also realize not every tech is made alike. Sorry I can't help you out. I'd be happy to if you were in my store.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Just FYI, I replaced mine and while the new one has a little oreo (which I'm thinking might actually be normal), it's more solid and has none of the creakiness that the other one exhibited. And, oddly enough, but the keyboard is much more comfortable to type on. I'm not sure what the difference is, but I'm finding myself able to type at a decent clip whereas with the previous unit I just couldn't get comfortable with it.

We'll see if it stays this way. However, there seems to have been an improvement.

chad783

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
That crack is now covered by TEP.

I am a tech but I also realize not every tech is made alike. Sorry I can't help you out. I'd be happy to if you were in my store.

Since you are a tech at Sprint, have you seen many Epics come back for this OREO effect? Is this normal? Does the store replace them or do you just tighten the screws and send them on their way? I also heard that their are 'new Epics' with better hardware and the new 2.2.1 pre-installed in the Epics. That true? Sorry for all the questions.

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't see many EPICs in the store for loose hinges. Maybe once or twice every week or two. However, we tend to sell a lot more EVOs around here. It seems to be the choice in this area.

I usually just tighten the screws. If the customer is happy, I let them go. If they continue to complain and I can't get them satisfied, I've done an exchange before to keep them happy.

I'm not aware of 'new' EPICs with a better hinge. But, it's rare that I see EPICs in the back. Don't recall seeing anything in Sprint tech forums, etc. Seems to me the first batch (or part of the first batch) was plauged with horrible 'buttons' on the bottom. 'Back' in particular. But, don't notice that on new units or the couple refurbs I've ordered.

Sliders in general have this problem. It's just the nature of the beast. More moving parts, more things to screw up, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49