Launcher Pro IS NOT EPIC... Help with FC'ing Please...

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Launcher Pro SUX! My phone just locked up. When I reboot it, Launcher Pro just force closes over and over. Since Launcher Pro is my default Apps Launcher I can't even uninstall it. My phone is pretty much useless now. HELP.

Dang it. Can't edit the misspelled word in the subject line....

ShaLea

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
If possible, install an app called Home Switcher. Since you have at least 2 launchers (LauncherPro & the stock Launcher) you should get a prompt/option to switch.

Although LauncherPro is my default as well, I periodically get the prompt to choose the Launcher.

Hope this helps.

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to hear that, there should be a "safe mode" like Windows. I use Launcherpro and never had a problem, so that sucks it's fc'ing. But yeah, try and install home switcher.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
If you can get to it, go to settings> applications> manage applications and clear the defaults and data for launcher pro. Should at least get you back to the stock launcher. If you have to you can always do a factory reset from recovery if all else fails.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I guess you guys aren't understanding this. The force closing comes up as soon as the phone is booted. Therefore NOTHING on the phone works. I can't get to settings, can't uninstall can't do anything. It is a doorstop....

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Launcher Pro/Plus has never forced closed on me. Did you install from the market? Hopefully you didn't remove the stock launcher? If you can get into the app drawer real quick while loading and go to settings > Applications > Manage Aplications > Launcher Pro > Clear Defaults & Data .. then uninstall/reinstall LP from the market or any other launcher...

Edit: Guess others posted at same time as me :)

Maybe boot into recovery and clear cache. That worked for me once on another app... Did you install some ROM or running stock?

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I guess you guys aren't understanding this. The force closing comes up as soon as the phone is booted. Therefore NOTHING on the phone works. I can't get to settings, can't uninstall can't do anything. It is a doorstop....

Ok, then boot into recovery and do a factory reset. That will revert everything back to stock. I'll check the steps for your device if you need directions.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
To factory reset your phone as Smitty_82 has mentioned, while your phone is off hold volume down + camera button + power until you get to the stock recovery screen. From there you can factory restore/wipe your phone. Keep in mind this will erase anything that is not on your SD card.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
To factory reset your phone as Smitty_82 has mentioned, while your phone is off hold volume down + camera button + power until you get to the stock recovery screen. From there you can factory restore/wipe your phone. Keep in mind this will erase anything that is not on your SD card.

Thanks, wasn't sure what the buttons were. It's a little different on my DX.

Reactions: Skunkape60

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I was pretty sure that was the case... All of my banking info (deposits withdrawals, debit card transactions) for the last 2 months will all be lost. All my programs will have to be reinstalled. What a hassle.

I was hoping to hear some good news. LOL

Take this as a warning... If you don't want to deal with reloading your phone to factory then I would suggest not changing your user interface. Because it it stops working as mine did, the ONLY fix is resetting your phone to the factory state.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site

So now that I am on the sysem recovery screen, I used the volume up and down to choose wipe data/factory reset. How do I initiate the reset? I tried pushing the power button and the camera button but niether seems to do anything....

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Edit: Ack! Sorry I typed too slow... I posted after a few other posts.

If you use App Brain- can't you uninstall the app from the web?

Rather than do a factory wipe and reset- what about trying booting into recovery and just do a reset from there? I know shutting down the phone sounds like it does the same thing- but I did this once and it helped my problem.

The other suggestion would be if you hold the home button as the phone launched could you get the task manager to come up? If so, then you can click the package tab and uninstall from there.

It's rare that I can't get the Task Manager to interrupt the phone and what it's doing and then either force kill all or uninstall something from there.

Your situation sounds very odd... I switch and try new launchers DAILY. I've had various issues here and there- but I've never had an endless loop with any of them- and I've used some VERY unstable launchers.

For next time, I would recommend having Home Manager installed 1st- it's better than many Home Switching apps as you can force kill ones running in the background from it's interface. It also shows how much memory each OS is running- but regardless, I don't think this would have helped in your case.

I really wouldn't let this dissuade you from using another launcher- If I couldn't use Zeam (my current favorite) or launcher pro, I probably wouldn't stick with Android!

supercluver

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar issue where the stock touchwiz launcher was force closing repeatedly on me. As soon as it closed it would try to open again and immediately pop up that stupid force close warning. I just slid open the phone and started typing "settings" and could then chose settings and then go into the application management and clear the data on the touchwiz launcher. Then all was fine.... maybe you could have done this too? Did you ever try the physical hardware keyboard?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Ended up doing a factory restore it was the onlything working. Thanks for all your. The phone wasn't even fully booting before it FC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463