No 2.2. So what? Being positive here.

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Doing wrong? I have no apps on my phone that messes with config code such as startup editors, memory managers, app killers. When the reboots and lockup happen, I am normally not running any programs. My job restricts the use of personal phones to breaks and lunch. Almost every break and lunch, I pick up my phone and find it locked up so bad a battery pull is required (just learned the 3 button soft reset).

Took it to sprint where they blamed it on cookies and internet history which they cleared. Since then I have done a factory reset and cleared all programs from the phone. I have not installed a single program and have not used it for anything but email, texting and phone calls. It still requires at least 3 or 4 resets a day.

I laughed when I got to the part about Sprint telling you to clear your cookies to fix lockups. It's such a typical know-nothing minimum wage tekkie answer.

Honestly, it sounds like you've got something hardware related going on, because that shouldn't be happening with stock 2.1 and TW. In the brief period I used TW before switching to LPP (about three days) I experienced plenty of crashes, stutters and weird behavior but never a lockup that required a battery pull. You may want to get your phone replaced before your warranty is up.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Last time I checked they won't replace the phone at the store. I have to wait for one in the mail. I assume I will be able to use my current one until the replacement arrives? Will i still be chargered the $30+ to activate a new phone?

JMusic

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Last time I checked they won't replace the phone at the store. I have to wait for one in the mail. I assume I will be able to use my current one until the replacement arrives? Will i still be chargered the $30+ to activate a new phone?

There is no activation fee for a warranty or insurance replacement. And yeah, don't let them take your phone without a replacement in hand. Sprint will send a return envelope for you to use if they ship you a replacement (and it should arrive quickly).

Sent from my Epic 3g

Reactions: Skunkape60

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site

If you used the insurance, the replacement should arrive in one business day. No activation fee.

Reactions: Skunkape60

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I thought the insurance had a $100 deductible. But I assume either way I will be getting a refurbished Epic. This is the main reason I have been holding off.

sawb1z

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Have a question. Droid X 2.2. In phone mode, using swype as input method, when I have the contacts tab selected the phone won't search and then narrow the results as I enter additional letters. This used to work fine. There is no problem with mulit-touch entry in phone mode. Anyone else have this problem or know of a fix for it?

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, I got here from Twitter and I have to bite:

1) Your EVO didn't play games faster than your Pre? I assume, then, that your Pre was overclocked, which means it ran hot and sucked the battery dry while trying to play games. I'll take even speed with 20 times the battery life on my EVO any day over that. Not to mention that the overall sluggishness of even an overclocked Pre meant that responsiveness in the game was poor, and then add the fact that you had to play it on a tiny screen.

2) The fact that the Epic doesn't even have 2.2 yet isn't a big a deal for the end users because of speed or battery life or even features, I'll give you that. It's a big deal because of the REASON Samsung hasn't upgraded the Epic yet. Samsung's APIs are so horribly developed on that phone in the first place that it's crushing them to try and upgrade to 2.2 (this comes directly from a Sprint source, which is why they can't get Froyo past Sprint in the first place). They basically wrote them to just barely function properly, while they should have written them PROPERLY. That's especially pathetic for a device that was delayed in launching in the first place several times because of lack of hardware availability. They had time to fix the software, but why would then when it's working... sort of...

3) Another reason the delay sucks is what is mentioned above: ROMs. Sure, you can put 2.2 on yourself, but having an EVO - the phone with the most custom ROMs available right now - I can tell you that even the best AOSP ROM developers can't get their ROMs to match the stability of a Sense ROM because they simply don't have the time and resources and access that HTC's own developers do. Samsung's in-house development team might be sloppy and pathetic, but they have those same resources and you ultimately will always get more stable ROMs based off of their stock kernels than you will from any custom developer out there.

When I first handled an Epic, I was truly stunned at the hardware. I even spent three hours in a training course presented by Samsung reps to learn the great features of the phone, and I thought it was about as perfect as a phone could get. Then the phone launched and people really got to use them, and all the errors started popping up. Device won't sleep because of the terrible design of their DRM manager software. GPS issues with all of their Galaxy S devices (another area their cheap GPS chips and poor software combined to create utter failure). Haptic feedback lag, especially on low-end Samsung devices. Sure, yours might work fine, but that doesn't counter the fact that they're poorly programmed devices.

The first and last Samsung device I would ever purchase is a Nexus S. You get the great Samsung hardware and keep Samsung's god-awful developers away from the software.

The Pre handles games MUCH better than the Evo. Side by side comparisons will tell you that. I've got the Pre, EVO and Epic all in my household. Speedwise...the Epic out performs the EVO. Theres really no debating that. Not saying the EVO is slow or a bad phone. It would work perfectly fine for me personally although I own an Epic. I wouldnt go to an EVO now though. My Epic is having NONE of the issues you just spoke of. So sure...I might be in the minority...but lets be honest...an Epic without the issues you've listed is better than an EVO on its best day.

Reactions: Jimmyjoe

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
The Pre handles games MUCH better than the Evo. Side by side comparisons will tell you that. I've got the Pre, EVO and Epic all in my household. Speedwise...the Epic out performs the EVO. Theres really no debating that. Not saying the EVO is slow or a bad phone. It would work perfectly fine for me personally although I own an Epic. I wouldnt go to an EVO now though. My Epic is having NONE of the issues you just spoke of. So sure...I might be in the minority...but lets be honest...an Epic without the issues you've listed is better than an EVO on its best day.

Yup. The Pre does. Some individuals are just unwilling to admit that. I wonder how the new processor or the Evo Shift will compare in graphics performance. Apparently, it should have Adreno 205, which is capable of a whopping 20 mt/s.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site

I doubt that you're in the minority. My EPIC 4G is also rock stable.

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Yup. The Pre does. Some individuals are just unwilling to admit that. I wonder how the new processor or the Evo Shift will compare in graphics performance. Apparently, it should have Adreno 205, which is capable of a whopping 20 mt/s.

I believe you're actually thinking of the 200, which is capable of 22 mt/s. The 205 allegedly improves graphics performance by 5x, to a max of 110 mt/s.

For comparison, the Epic's PowerSGX540 is rated at ~90 mt/s.

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like the Shift is pretty good then.

How does the display compare to the Epic's? If there's one feature that's definitely won me over is the quality of the display. I still have 3 weeks left to decide if I'm keeping the Epic or returning it, so I could consider the Shift.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like the Shift is pretty good then.

How does the display compare to the Epic's? If there's one feature that's definitely won me over is the quality of the display. I still have 3 weeks left to decide if I'm keeping the Epic or returning it, so I could consider the Shift.

The display is something HTC does right. It has the best LCD.display I have seen on any device. Of course, LG's NOVA display is supposed to really rock as an LCD display. However, if you are looking for quality of picture, the Samsung SAMOLED display is 100% unmatched. Trust me, it is unlike any other display in this market. Apple's retina is the best by resolution, but everything else, including power consumption, goes to SAMOLED. Nothing quite like it. In my opinion, stick with the Epic. The positives of that phone compared to positives of the shift also agree with me, I think.

strudel#AC

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
My Epic seemed fairly solid at first, but as I used it more and more it got worse with multiple resets a day being the norm. It was frustrating as hell when I would have to reset the phone before I could make an important phone call (or return an important call) because the phone froze up. Even something as simple as checking an email that just came in it was questionable if I would be able to read the email without the phone hanging for a few minutes in the process. I took the plunge and upgraded to the unofficial DK28 as soon as it was available hoping it would help. The phone's stability did not improve, although app space wasn't an issue anymore.

On Monday I decided that Samsung definitely wasn't going to fix my problems in a timely manner (if ever) so I was going to try fixing them myself.

I backed up everything I could to the SD card, copied the contents of the SD card to my pc and following the instructions in this thread:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/epi...-fix-rfs-ext4-now-w-clockwork-v3-0-0-5-a.html A big thank you to ragnarokx for giving such detailed instructions!

It is like I have a new phone now. The phone is extremely stable and so much faster. I installed 50 apps one after another and the phone didn't miss a beat and remained instantly responsive the entire time. Before the lagfix even attempting to install or update an app would cause the phone to freeze for minutes at a time or in many cases cause the phone to reset.

derryj3

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
My Epic is perfect except the battery life. I don't have any gps or keyboard issues....I just only get 5 hrs battery...if rooting/putting a rom will get me thru a full day work w/o charging...I'm down

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781