Upgrade?

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
Samsung has announced that the successor to the Galaxy S will be unveiled at the MWC next month. It will ship with Gingerbread and a dual core. Fantasy: Samsung allows all Galaxy S owners to upgrade for a reduced fee due to their inability to provice a decent model of Froyo. Yes, I know I'm taking too much medication. I'm just sick of watching the greatest phone I've ever owned getting passed by again and again. Discounted like 80's spandex.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
On a more serious note, how long does it typically take devices announced at MWC to make it into the market? Isn't Sprint pretty consistent in releasing new devices in the summer?

I still have a week to return my Epic, and I could possibly wait out a few months on my Pre if something could be released as early as March...

Robbie Doo

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Why take drastic measures? If you really like the gadget just hack it and install whatever you want on it, why bother with their release that is not even going to be close than what we have already? I'm in love with my phone allover! :)

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Why take drastic measures? If you really like the gadget just hack it and install whatever you want on it, why bother with their release that is not even going to be close than what we have already? I'm in love with my phone allover! :)

While I normally agree that the gadget in the hand is worth two in the bush, so to speak, I'm not sure how I feel about buying a device that will be seriously overshadowed in less than 60 days. And, I really don't want to hack my smartphone even though I'm fully capable of doing so; I much prefer to use what's fully supported.

Now, if it'll be June before anything new hits on Sprint, then I wouldn't want to give up that much time of productive use....

ap77

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
"Lesson learned" for me. I certainly won't ever purchase a Samsung phone again after this comically woeful "support."

sanman

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
"Lesson learned" for me. I certainly won't ever purchase a Samsung phone again after this comically woeful "support."

Same here. I was a happy BB 8830 user way past its shelf life. Had high hopes for the Epic 4G. Not sure where to place the blame, but if 2.2 and 2.3 are appearing on some phones, they should be available on _all_ phones. Won't make that mistake again.

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
Same here. I was a happy BB 8830 user way past its shelf life. Had high hopes for the Epic 4G. Not sure where to place the blame, but if 2.2 and 2.3 are appearing on some phones, they should be available on _all_ phones. Won't make that mistake again.

me three- but... I was still using a palm Treo 755p before I got my epic soin terms of productivity, I cannot complain, except the calendar sync issues which I would call even more embarrassing than the update issue. Imagine: I cannot default to the google calendar and can only sync one way. I NEVER had that kind of problem with any palm device. Why is no one screaming bloody murder over that one.

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

It's funny too... upon researching the Epic before it came out (I was a day 1 purchaser), I saw warnings about Samsung and their lack of support... I thought that with the Epic being a "flagship" 4G device on Sprint, that would change... sad that now that I look back, everything that everyone warned me about turned out to be true... :eek:

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
It's funny too... upon researching the Epic before it came out (I was a day 1 purchaser), I saw warnings about Samsung and their lack of support... I thought that with the Epic being a "flagship" 4G device on Sprint, that would change... sad that now that I look back, everything that everyone warned me about turned out to be true... :eek:

Yep. I want an Atrix but by the time my contract is up, there will be something better...

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Yep. I want an Atrix but by the time my contract is up, there will be something better...

And in the meantime, there's nothing that will really use all that horsepower. It's not as if the Epic performs so badly that it just has to have a dual-core processor to be functional. The bottom line is, it will take some time before enough dual-core processor (and other high-spec) machines are out there that developers have incentive to develop apps to take advantage of them.

By that time, certainly, our annual upgrades should be available...

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't give up on the Epic at this point. I have made the mistake of giving up on other phones in the past only to be surprized that the update that I impatiently waited for came and fixed all the issues that I was screaming about. I would inevitably regret getting rid of the device and would ironically be stuck with a device that also had issues and I would have to wait for the update on that phone. I would just wait it out. It will come and when it does, you will be happy.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded to an Epic from a 3 year old TMobile Sidekick. The Epic is 100 times the phone the sidekick is. If I can use the SideKick for 3 years, I can darn well make the epic last 2 years (even with 2.1). LOL

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
To be fair, no Galaxy S phone has Android 2.2 in the USA yet and we are comparing the EPIC 4G to a phone that realistically wont be released in the USA until August.

Ricolando

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
For all of the folks who upgraded around the time the Epic launched I wouldn't even worry. If you're on the one year upgrade cycle you can hold out until then and buy whatever is the hotness around that time. Phone tech is really starting to explode faster than ever before and if you keep worrying about every new device you'll either waste money or live unsatisfied. I personally rooted and loaded a Froyo ROM, and made my Epic what I wanted it to be not what Samsung would like me to be content with.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38