1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    114 Global Posts

Default 3 Defective Samsung Epics

As of tonight, I have now had three defective Epics.

The screen on the first, which I bought on Aug 31, blanked out whenever a call was made or received. Furthermore, I could not hear or talk to the person on the other end. This was occurred right after Christmas.

The second, which Sprint gave me as a warranty replacement, would not sync up with my PCs or my Mac. The mounting issue has been discussed in other threads and I assure you that I tried every trick in the book. Even Samsung confirmed the USB port on the phone was defective.

The third, a brand new Epic, was given to me tonight by Sprint. Before leaving the store, I started testing it. It would not sync to my Windows 7 laptop or to the store's XP desktop. As a test, when I got home tonight, I tried syncing my wife's Epic to my laptop and it worked flawlessly. I also inserted the SD card from my Epic into my wife's phone and tried syncing. Again everything worked perfectly. Put the card back into the new, third Epic and no dice.

I called Sprint customer service before I left the store and they agreed to give me a full refund for the Epic and let me choose any phone I wanted with full upgrade credits applying. I will likely tell them I want the Evo, as I certainly don't have the time or the energy to keep putting up with defective Epics.

You hit the magic number for replacements. Good luck with your Evo - the forum we have for it here has a lot of great members, I'm sure you like it.

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Wow what a string of bad luck. I dont blame you for jumping ship. Three people I work with, my whife, and myself all have epics and not any problems. I know alot of connect problems are due to using junk USB cords. I have about 5 different ones I have laying around the house. Two of them connect to my PC 100 percent of the time the other three either dont work at all or are hit or miss. One of the ones that never recoginized mine or my whifes epic was one of the ones that actually came boxed with her phone. I would recommend anyone going through erratic connection problems to invest in a high end USB to MicroUSB cable and take some of the guesswork out.
    Last edited by cheapfx; 01-11-2011 at 02:30 AM.
    Thanked by:

With more phones sold, the defect rate is going to get bigger. 2-5% of 10 million is a whole lot more than 2-5% of 200,000.

Still, three in a row is pretty rough luck, and I would have likely done the same as you.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

wow. i'm on my 5th epic and sprint wouldnt consider giving me a refund or credit towards a different phone. who did you talk to and which department?

Thanks!
    B

Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    ROM
    Goodness 3.0.0

Quote Originally Posted by bfguns View Post
    wow. i'm on my 5th epic and sprint wouldnt consider giving me a refund or credit towards a different phone. who did you talk to and which department?

Thanks!
    B
    if you get 3 replacements on your current model, then sprint has to give you the option to get another replacement or choose another model.....its in the fine print....its like the lemon law.....it happened to me with my BB....3 tours were defective and they gave me the option and i got the BOLD.........they should have given you the option.....if not, i would go to the store and put up a fight if your still ahving problems......but ur best bet is to call customer service.....the store REPS dont know zilch

Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    ROM
    Goodness 3.0.0

Quote Originally Posted by sweat View Post
    As of tonight, I have now had three defective Epics.

The screen on the first, which I bought on Aug 31, blanked out whenever a call was made or received. Furthermore, I could not hear or talk to the person on the other end. This was occurred right after Christmas.

The second, which Sprint gave me as a warranty replacement, would not sync up with my PCs or my Mac. The mounting issue has been discussed in other threads and I assure you that I tried every trick in the book. Even Samsung confirmed the USB port on the phone was defective.

The third, a brand new Epic, was given to me tonight by Sprint. Before leaving the store, I started testing it. It would not sync to my Windows 7 laptop or to the store's XP desktop. As a test, when I got home tonight, I tried syncing my wife's Epic to my laptop and it worked flawlessly. I also inserted the SD card from my Epic into my wife's phone and tried syncing. Again everything worked perfectly. Put the card back into the new, third Epic and no dice.

I called Sprint customer service before I left the store and they agreed to give me a full refund for the Epic and let me choose any phone I wanted with full upgrade credits applying. I will likely tell them I want the Evo, as I certainly don't have the time or the energy to keep putting up with defective Epics.
    good luck bro......EVO is a great choice...just got mine 3 weeks ago, and i wouldnt have gone any other way....its a great choice......
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    114 Global Posts

Call customer service (*2) on your phone and ask for a supervisor.

If that does not work, send a written letter (postal, not email) to the CEO of Sprint and explain your problems and your expected solution. People rarely get written letters anymore and when one shows up on their desk, they are forced to do something with it. This is an extremely effective tool to solving customer service issues.

Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 alpha 1

Thats a sad story. My wife went through 3 but in the first week, now loves her phone which works flawlessly even with 2.1
    Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean people aren't after you.

ROM
    Stock/Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by tedcousens View Post
    Thats a sad story. My wife went through 3 but in the first week, now loves her phone which works flawlessly even with 2.1

Same here. I'm on my second and my wife now has a 3rd but loves it. Our issues were 4G unknown, and then her second was no connectivity with roaming signal.