1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Charger cord question

Can the cords from a Palm Pre be used with the Samsung Epic? My husband and I are thinking of getting this phone at our next upgrade and it would really be a plus to be able to use them with the new phone.

Global Posts
    210 Global Posts

my boss uses my pre charger with her captivate and i use it for my evo. no ill affects whatsoever. the evo doesn't even have a car charger specifically made for it, you just use any micro usb car charger you can find. radio shack had generic ones bundled on launch day for the evo so i really doubt it matters...hope this helps.

Global Posts
    356 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock TW FH13 ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by thegov View Post
    my boss uses my pre charger with her captivate and i use it for my evo. no ill affects whatsoever. the evo doesn't even have a car charger specifically made for it, you just use any micro usb car charger you can find. radio shack had generic ones bundled on launch day for the evo so i really doubt it matters...hope this helps.
    aren't all phones switching to the the standard usb to mini usb? so a blackberry charger could charge an epic 4G.

Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted Stock

Quote Originally Posted by carraser891 View Post
    aren't all phones switching to the the standard usb to mini usb? so a blackberry charger could charge an epic 4G.
    Very true, I personally use the same charger for my BB and Epic, this has been discussed in the forums several times..

Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    ROM
    Froyo DK28

I use my pre charger for my Epic, I hav enoticed some problesm with the pre charger when cord when connecting to USB ( recently when flashing DK28) it wouldn't work with pre cord but as soon as I used stock cord it worked fine.

i will say one thing the stock Android Epic micro USB cord doesn't seem to fit as "deep" or snug as the Palm pre one,

I like the Palm pre cord for charging my phone, but will usually use the stock one for any USB mounting especially if trying to install software, for soem reason 9 why i can't explain ) but when Flashing software or custom ROMS stock cable seems to work better.

You will love the switch from Palm pre to Android.
    Please add thanks if I have helped you in anyway. I will always spread the Aloha and reciprocate.
    Samsung Epic; Froyo DK28
    Carrier Sprint since 1998
    Palm Pilot 1997 + Nokia 7650,8200, Palm Treo 700p 2005, Palm Pre June 2009, Sayonara Palm. Android Sept. 2010

Yeah, I accidentally grabbed and used my Pre charger, last night.

Posted from my eVo!
    ......posted from something made by Apple!

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    ROM
    Midnight ROM

This will work fine. Any microUSB charger should work as it is all standard now. I don't even use the Epic charger as I had a couple Pre chargers laying around. I actually bought a couple more on amazon the other day as they are only 5 bucks now. Now I have chargers at work, car, and home. Beats paying upwards of 20 for a charger "specifically made" for the Epic.

One caveat: while the micro USB is the new standard, and your Epic should charge with almost any one, check the voltage that comes from the charger. I haven't had any trouble using any of the chargers I have collected over the years, but some charge slower due to less power being pushed through. Since the Epic already charges slowly, it's worth mentioning.

But in answer to your original question: The Palm Pre charger works fine.

nnb

I'm using mine right now, so yes.

Quote Originally Posted by addie_goodvibes View Post
    i will say one thing the stock Android Epic micro USB cord doesn't seem to fit as "deep" or snug as the Palm pre one,
    I find the opposite to be true.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

The reason that I ask, is that I tried some generic chargers that were suppose to run the Pre and they would make the phone go crazy (cards opening and closing by themselves, no icons would work and some other things I can't remember). So, I started looking at the voltage that the chargers were putting out. They need at least 800ma to 1000ma(or even more) output to run the phone properly. I wasn't sure about the Epic but I know it is a powerful phone so I was thinking it would need the same as the Pre. Thanks everyone for answering and letting me know that I have lots of cords to run my new phone and none to buy.

The stock Samsung wall(travel) charger and stock Samsung car charger put out 700mA. The motorola wall and car chargers that Android Central sell in their online store are 1 Amp chargers. I prefer those over the Samsung OEM chargers.

--Qfg