Email stuck in outbox

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Help!! I finally got comfortable with my Epic and today started blasting out a bunch of emails. I happened to be checking something else and notice that my Outbox has 10 email!?!? I go click the "send outgoing messages" button and nothing happens. I tried to research this through Google and it looks like it's a known problem. Have any of you been able to figure out a work around? This is a CRITICAL issue in my opinion. Thanks for any feedback.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
It has happened to me several times. But I was able to go into my mail account settings and play with my out-going server settings. Sometimes i check the require sign-in block and it fixes it. Sometimes it fixes it by removing the require sign-in check mark. Wierd....

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Are you over WiFi when this problem occurs? There's been an annoying bug going around where it gets stuck on sending when you're over WiFi.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Mine does this also, very annoying. It usually goes, might have something to do with 3g power that does not show on bars at top. Haven't tried in Wifi, shouldnt have to.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I only know how to do this with the default email app. Hold you finger on the account you want to change until the menu comes up and choose account settings.

Below the notification settings is the server settings. There it should list Incoming settings and outgoing settings.

I have pop email and used the manual setup when my accounts were setup on the phone. I don't know if that differs from the way you set up your mail....

OnePalmAddict

Addicted 2 Mobile Gadgets
Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if any of you having problems are using GMail, but I have been unable connect with GMail on my Evo nor my laptop for several hours now. Seems as though Google is having some issues.

HTH,
ME

Robbie Doo

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
check your outgoing email settings. If you see a line like this:

android.smtp.....

Remove the "android" from in front of it and leave it at:

smtp.....

next click on the Next button. You should be good to go.

heymista

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I notice this problem as well. It seems to happen more frequently when I am trying to send a picture. I notice on both wifi and 3g, and it happens sporadically. I also notice occasional delays in receiving email. It's nice having a phone that offers a great internet experience, but Blackberry is much more dependable for email.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
check your outgoing email settings. If you see a line like this:

android.smtp.....

Remove the "android" from in front of it and leave it at:

smtp.....

next click on the Next button. You should be good to go.

Where do we edit our outgoing e-mail settings in the Gmail app?

I notice the Gmail app does not have a great deal of settings, ( frequency of when to check e-mail, outgoing settings ect..

Why would Gmail app be so limited in functionality.. annoying Google..

oo mudspike oo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I noticed the same stuck outbox problem. Here is a workaround that worked for me. One of my stuck emails was a forward.

1. Goto outbox.
2. Open stuck email.
3. Settings > Forward
4. **Make sure to remove any "FW: " or "RE: " tags from the subject**
5. Forward email to your desired contacts.

Once I did this both the emails sent...meaning people got my email twice, but whatever.

cluefree

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey Dallas - don't know if this will help, but you can try it! I was having a similar problem - using the stock email app, outgoing email was always getting stuck. I found that sometimes it would work - but ONLY if I was on my home wifi (it was a roadrunner account). So I did a little digging around, and found that other people were having this issue with various smtp outgoing accounts. So I tried using the sprint smtp server (what, you say? There's a sprint smtp server we can use? Well... I didn't know about it till yesterday...). So I logged into my sprint account, and went into "my preferences", and found my sprint email username and password (I had to set up the password). I then deleted my email account from the phone, and restored it - but this time I used my normal (roadrunner) pop server for incoming, and the sprint server for outgoing. Here are the settings I used for the sprint server:
server name: smtp.sprintpcs.com
port: 25
auth: none
sign in required: yes
user name: yourusername@sprintpcs.com
password: yourpassword

So... we'll see if it keeps working, but I've verified that I can now send email on 3g, 4g or wifi... a huge improvement from before!

I'm still at android 2.1... heh... the update will probably get pushed to my phone and this will stop working again... well apparently I have more time to wait for that! ;-)

sammmmmyg

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
i have also had this issue. It seemed like it was a data connectivity issue because i was able to resolve it by turning off 4g/wifi and then reconnecting. This is just another little "issue" that I've been having with the Epic. Between this, the froyo debacle and the crappy GPS, it's getting frustrating with all of the "work arounds" necessary to use this phone as it was intended.

Ken'sJim36

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
My outgoing was stuck in out box; I called roadrunner repeatedly and was told to try different smtp servers and different ports -- all to no avail. THEN I tried experimenting, and behold, when I checked "SIGN IN" and re-added my address and password (both complete), to two separate accounts which had been set up using different servers and ports, they both WORKED.

JRPMM

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I found this answer in another forum and wanted to pass it on because it worked and is simple. Place you phone in airplane mode. Go to you the outbox and you will now be able to open the email. You can edit or delete the email.

etzeppy

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
JRPMM, you are awesome. I've had a message stuck for a week and half. Everyone else said I needed to delete the account and start over. Airplane mode worked. Thanks

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2