Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

Default Greasy spots.

I let the Sprint salesman put a screen protector on when I bought by Epic. After seeing how well the Gorilla Glass® held up, I took it off.

While I have no scratches, I have a strange greasy spot over the "back" button which won't go away, even with an good alcohol scrub.

What can I use to do a thorough clean of the screen?

Joe
    Last edited by jallen3.14; 01-12-2011 at 10:54 PM. Reason: ETA: Where's Froyo for the Epic?!?

Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted Stock

I actually use the cleaner and cleaning cloth I get when I buy my shades from Sunglass Hut. It works great and I have unlimited free refills anyway lol
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Be careful using alcohol or any house hold cleaners like Windex. Its not the same type of glass as the windows in your house. The screen has a special coating that will wear away eventually from using that stuff. Use a microfiber cloth and if you have to a little water to dampen the cloth. If you look online they make cleaning products for android screens. I never tried them so I'm not sure how well they work.

ROM
    AOKP'ing it.

Quote Originally Posted by jallen3.14 View Post
    I have a strange greasy spot over the "back" button which won't go away...
    I'd also suggest not eating fried chicken while using your Epic 4G.

On a more serious note, how long, after taking the screen protector off, did it take for this "grease spot" to appear?

I still have a screen protector on mine. You just never know! I'd rather have the screen protector scratched or stained than to have anything happen to my gorgeous screen!

Case in point, I caught a live mouse in the house a few weeks ago and it bit me on my thumb. My girlfriend put Neosporin and this special type bandage on it that had some wonky adhesive. The bandage stayed up there really good though! Anyways, some of the adhesive got all on my screen protector and was a PITA to get off! But it was on the screen protector, not the actual screen.

If you do get the spot off your phone, I'd suggest getting a really high quality screen protector and have it professionally put on, so there are no bubbles. You'll barely notice the difference if it's done correctly.

That's one experiment I won't be doing to my phone. These glass can be scratch by the simplest thing. I keep mine on -— and wiped it off with a soft cloth.

Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
    Be careful using alcohol or any house hold cleaners like Windex. Its not the same type of glass as the windows in your house. The screen has a special coating that will wear away eventually from using that stuff. Use a microfiber cloth and if you have to a little water to dampen the cloth. If you look online they make cleaning products for android screens. I never tried them so I'm not sure how well they work.
    You are correct!! Never use Windex for anything else but windows!! Exactly why I use that solution that is made for coated optical shades.. If is is good enough for 400 buck shades, I am pretty much sure I can trust it on my cellphone...This solution for android screens cannot be much better, probably something similar.

ROM
    Stock/Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by rushrl View Post
    That's one experiment I won't be doing to my phone. These glass can be scratch by the simplest thing. I keep mine on -— and wiped it off with a soft cloth.
    Same here. I use Reallook screen protectors. They are a challenge to put on correctly, but follow directions and they are nice!
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

The screen protector the Sprint store installed only covered the display area. The areas above and below showed no scratches whatsoever, so I just took the thing off. The screen looks amazingly better without it.

The greasy spots were building up long before I removed the protector - it's primarily on the "back" key which gets used the most.

And, I don't eat fried chicken around the phone. Not more than once or twice a week anyway. Maybe 3 times. That new Church's deal is too good to pass up!

I've got an email in to Corning asking for their advice on cleaning.

Joe

ROM
    AOKP'ing it.

Quote Originally Posted by jallen3.14 View Post
    The screen protector the Sprint store installed only covered the display area. The areas above and below showed no scratches whatsoever, so I just took the thing off. The screen looks amazingly better without it.

The greasy spots were building up long before I removed the protector - it's primarily on the "back" key which gets used the most.

And, I don't eat fried chicken around the phone. Not more than once or twice a week anyway. Maybe 3 times. That new Church's deal is too good to pass up!

I've got an email in to Corning asking for their advice on cleaning.

Joe
    Lol! I knew it! Fried chicken is the enemy to the capacitive buttons! And here I am telling you to lay off, and you eat there up to 3 times a week? Serously? B-)

Sent from my Epic 4G
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Donmeister85 View Post
    here I am telling you to lay off, and you eat there up to 3 times a week? Serously? B-)
    Hey, that is laying off for me!

In all seriousness, I do clean my hands before handling the phone. The "greasy" spots are completely from skin oils.

I'm interested to hear what Corning says.

Joe

ROM
    AOKP'ing it.

Lol, yeah just messing with you there.

I do hope that you find a workable solution to your problem. I always get finger prints on mine too, obviously. But they wipe off oh so easily. A moist cloth towel does the job nicely.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

Even a dry microfiber seems to make it nice and shiny quickly, but it's odd how the most used area - the "back" key for me - quickly shows a smudge. Just like how the "f and j" keys on keyboards rub off first.

Joe

ROM
    AOKP'ing it.

Yeah. Mine get greasy from fingerprint oils too. But a damp towel always gets them off rather easily.

Sent from my Epic 4G