Video camera recording fail

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I consistently get video recording fail when attempting to take video. At first when I got it I would record again and it would work. Today I attempted 3 times before it fully recorded a video.

I'm running stock 2.1. What's up with this?

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Make sure you have enough room in your SD card to record ample amounts of video. Last time I had this happen to me (the only time) was when I only had maybe 50MB left in my SD card for it to save to.

Also, even though it says failed, double check your gallery. What you recorded might still be saved, but it actually says "failed" when it can no longer record.

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I had this happen to me as well I had to do a full format to my card (not a fast in-phone format) But take the mem card out back it up and format it then restore all your info... I had a couple damaged sectors on my card from just removing it with out ejecting it and so on a few times... Let us know if this helps.

Also you may want to check your card you could have a bad one... or if its an aftermarket one (not the one that came with your phone) if could be a fake... I bought a 32gb card on ebay and it was a 4gb some how reprogrammed to look like a 32gb card...

Last edited:

lrn2swim

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
actually, i don't think it's a problem with the sdcard. i was having that same error all the time running stock 2.1 and stock card that came with the phone. i recently rooted and flashed froyo (2.2) with the trulyepic 1.2 ac rom and since then the video recording is working perfectly with no errors. seems smoother too.

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I had that recording error one day as well. Pissed me off as we wound up having to use my friend's Vibrant instead! And her color was more accurate! Lame samsung...just lame.

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I had this happen to me during Christmas... I was recording my daughter and the it just stopped twice but it did save the video up till then each time, So I just started recording again.. I have not had it happen again since however..

rsage

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
This has been reported by many, I think elsewhere on this forum and on other sites like XDA & Sprint's site. Consensus seems to be if you step down from the highest resolution of 1280x720 (HD) to the next highest resolution of 720x480, you'll be ok. Whenever I record at the highest resolution, I will always get a failure. It could be 5 seconds or 10 minutes into the recording, but it will always fail. I tried reformatting my card, which seemed to help for a while, but I think it was placebo. The only person I'm aware of who solved the problem completely bought a higher class SD card with faster transfer rates than the OEM card. I'm assuming the OEM card can't always keep up with the throughput requirements of recording HD video.

Interesting that @lrn2swim has had no problems since installing Truly Epic Rebirth. I installed that ROM a couple days ago, I'll have to give video recording a try again. Personally, I've had the video recording failure with all 2.1 and 2.2 ROM's I've tried (only at the highest resolution though).

EDIT: Well that didn't take long, my HD video test on TER 1.2 lasted about 5 seconds before failing... :(

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
EDIT: Well that didn't take long, my HD video test on TER 1.2 lasted about 5 seconds before failing... :(

You sure that it is just not a semi-bad card that just can't keep up? I have the stock card still and that was the only time it happened and I always record in the highest resolution as I like to burn the movies to DVD...
Also just a wild thought, but do you think that another prog running off the SD card or accessing at the same time can cause this problem?? Is that possible?

rsage

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
You sure that it is just not a semi-bad card that just can't keep up? I have the stock card still and that was the only time it happened and I always record in the highest resolution as I like to burn the movies to DVD...
Also just a wild thought, but do you think that another prog running off the SD card or accessing at the same time can cause this problem?? Is that possible?

It's possible that it's a marginal card, in which case Samsung shipped a lot of Epics with marginal cards (just guessing from the number of people that are reporting this on the internets). Anecdotal evidence may support this (users having the problem who bought new cards and then no longer had the problem).

It's probably theoretically possible that something else accessing the SD card could affect video recording to the card, but I would hope the OS would handle that (but maybe not). I currently have no apps installed on the SD card, and very few background processes running (just for the record).

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Hmm. I have an 8 gb laying around. I should try it. Kinda crappy if you think about it. This phone bothers me more and more. Can't wait for new htc. If not I'm getting the evo.

freedumb87

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I've experienced the same thing relatively recently (probably within the last couple of months). It rarely errors out, but when it does it makes it to about 5 seconds. It seems to only do it on a fresh start of the camera app. After the first primer, it seems to be fine thereafter. I was just under the impression that the app hadn't initialized everything yet.

fbcregan

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm having problems with the video recording but not the 5 second fail. Mine recently started not syncing the sound with the video. It's just enough off to bug me. I've flashed different ROMs and it hasn't made any difference. It used to work fine, but now isn't working right. Ugh.

campbell

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Happens to me once in a while. after a couple tries it starts working fine again. I guess I'll try to format the sd also and see what turns out

lancelot916

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
hi guys. I get this too on stock card running midnight v3.0 ROM but was the case also on 2.1.

some of you guys mentioned higher capacity cards but I would assume its the class. stock is class 2. anyone try with class 4 or 6? mine only fails on first 5 sec but after that I can record for awhile.

mastermindays

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I recently had the "warning recording failed" message very time I tried recording. I see that some other people could also only record at lower resolution. After taking it back to the store they replaced the phone and I had the same issue with the replacement. Later I realized that the micro sd card they transferred from my old S3 for me was only a class 2 card. The S5 writes data faster than a class 2 can handle while recording. I am guessing that it is a write speed issue for those of you who can record at lower resolution also. Buying a new quality class 10 card should fix the issue for you. It worked for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith