Grey Tint to Screen

vandoc#AC

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
I was comparing my Epic screen to my wife's Epic, and noticed that my screen has a light greyish tint with whites compared to my wife's which is a pure white. I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this, and if anyone has tried to get their Epic replaced at the Sprint store because of this issue. I never really noticed it until I put the 2 phones side by side. It was a pretty significant difference. I don't really feel like flashing by phone back to Eclair from the Truly Epic Rom just to have Sprint look at it and say, "Oh, that's normal!"

vandoc#AC

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Yes, they are both set at the same brightness. In fact, even turning my brightness all the way up to 100 percent and leaving hers at 50 percent doesn't help.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
SAMOLEDs tend to have a blueish tint, maybe that's what you're seeing. Have you had your phones for the same amount of time?

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I have noticed that on my replacement Epic, and at the same settings, my replacement was 'way' brighter. In fact it was so bright white I had to turn my settings down to '0' and it was still brighter than when the other one was set at 20%. Probably the luck of the draw.

On the brighter side :), the overly bright one may not last as long. So I hope it will have a long life. My replacement was not for a dull screen but for a slight crack on the chrome beauty ring that is around the keyboard which Sprint recommended that I should take a new one. I just wanted to report it so it was in my records in case it fell off as I didn't really want to replace my phone because it was perfect except for that cosmetic flaw.

Oh well, the replacement phone had tighter springs on the slider as well so I took a chance that the replacement phone would work as perfectly as the other. Yeppie it does!

FenixOK

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed on my Epic that there's two auto-brightness settings. One's under the regular Brightness settings under Settings>Display>Brightness, and the other is near the bottom of that called Power saving mode, which says it analyzes the picture that you're looking at and adjusts the brightness.

My suggestion would be to turn both of those off, set the brightness to max, have both phones viewing the same picture from the gallery (preferably if you could find one of the color charts like a Pantone off Google Image Search) and see if they're any different.

I'd totally like to know if there could possibly be a color/brightness difference between panels. :)

vandoc#AC

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed on my Epic that there's two auto-brightness settings. One's under the regular Brightness settings under Settings>Display>Brightness, and the other is near the bottom of that called Power saving mode, which says it analyzes the picture that you're looking at and adjusts the brightness.

My suggestion would be to turn both of those off, set the brightness to max, have both phones viewing the same picture from the gallery (preferably if you could find one of the color charts like a Pantone off Google Image Search) and see if they're any different.

I'd totally like to know if there could possibly be a color/brightness difference between panels. :)

That was one of the first things I did. I made sure all the settings were the same, with the power saving mode off. There still is a significant difference. I guess I will go into the Sprint Store and compare the demo phone with my wifes and mine. I would like to know if anyone had any problems getting their phone switched out because of what I'm describing.

FenixOK

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
That was one of the first things I did. I made sure all the settings were the same, with the power saving mode off. There still is a significant difference. I guess I will go into the Sprint Store and compare the demo phone with my wifes and mine. I would like to know if anyone had any problems getting their phone switched out because of what I'm describing.

That's just strange. I'm gonna have to go around comparing everyone in my store's Epics with mine to see if I see any difference. I'm sure it shouldn't be a problem to have them exchange it, if they don't have a replacement screen they can do an in-store repair.

FenixOK

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
SAMOLEDs do degrade over time, but it's doubtful you'll see any degradation over the lifetime of your phone.

That makes sense why I've never noticed it. There may just be a problem with this gentlemen's LCD, some kind of manufacturing defect where it's not outputting the correct color balance or a flaw in the LCD.

It's just plain strange.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney