USB Connectivity Issues

freedumb87

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I've had the Samsung Epic since release and haven't had any major issues with it until now (I think). The device seems to have stopped working as a mass storage device when hooked up to any computer. It used to work with no issue whatsoever. I have read the posts describing similar issues but none have solved my problem and wanted to make sure I covered all bases.

So, now when I plug my phone into the PC that I always used for moving files around, I get the menu pop-up on my phone asking if I would like to Charge, Mass Storage, or Tether. However, nothing I seem to do allows my computer to see the device. Nothing shows up in the device manager regarding my phone. My computer doesn't play a tone as it used to or when other USB components are plugged in.

Here are the things that I have tried to no avial:
1) Plugged phone into 4 PCs (1 Windows 7 64 bit, 2 Windows 7 32 bit, and 1 Vista 32 bit)
2) Tried using regular windows detection
3) Tried official Samsung drivers
4) Tried PDA Net drivers
5) Android toolkit ADB.exe
6) Factory Reset of phone
7) SD Card Format
8) Another SD Card
9) Enabling/Disabling Debug under settings
10) Multiple USB Ports (front, rear, powered hub)
11) Multiple USB Cables (Epic, HTC Evo, Palm Pre, Mono Price cable)

So, can anyone think of something I have possibliy overlooked? My only choice seems to take it to a Sprint store and see if it works for them. I really would prefer not to get a refurbed phone.

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Edit - - AHHH: I just read number 11...

Have you been using the same cable? I have that situation too on my primary desktop. I can only transfer data to and from the device using only the micro USB cable that came with my Epic.

My laptop is a different story, as I use the Epic cable, and a Palm Pre cable, and I can transfer files just fine.

I'd check to make sure that you're using the original cable first.

That REALLY sucks. I would take it to the Sprint store. You tried everything I would've done, except going to have someone look at your phone. Anyone else have better ideas?

freedumb87

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I just took it to the Sprint store and they couldn't get their computers to recognize it either.

They asked if I cared if they tried a factory reset where the load some additional drivers to the phone. I told them that was fine. I left and came back an hour later but still no luck. They diagnosed it as a faulty USB port. They said the contacts responsible for communicating to the PC must be shorted out.

I didn't buy insurance on the phone since I usually upgrade every year and I don't abuse my electronics. So my options on a replacement is either through Sprint, for $35, or go through Samsung warranty swap. I'm going to try the Samsung route since the phone still functions and I'm not in a terrible hurry.

I hope this post may help someone else having a similar problem. The phone itself is sometimes the problem and not USB drivers or your OS.

Thanks

Reactions: Paul627g

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I just took it to the Sprint store and they couldn't get their computers to recognize it either.

They asked if I cared if they tried a factory reset where the load some additional drivers to the phone. I told them that was fine. I left and came back an hour later but still no luck. They diagnosed it as a faulty USB port. They said the contacts responsible for communicating to the PC must be shorted out.

I didn't buy insurance on the phone since I usually upgrade every year and I don't abuse my electronics. So my options on a replacement is either through Sprint, for $35, or go through Samsung warranty swap. I'm going to try the Samsung route since the phone still functions and I'm not in a terrible hurry.

I hope this post may help someone else having a similar problem. The phone itself is sometimes the problem and not USB drivers or your OS.

Thanks

Well glad that they were able to determine what the problem was.

Just for future reference, if you have a computer that still doesn't like your phone after you get your replacement (like my work computer... HA...) you can always create a dropbox account, then download the dropbox app from the market. I always use that to transfer files between PC and phone. Works awesome!

Last edited:
Reactions: freedumb87

freedumb87

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Well glad that they were able to determine what the problem was.

Just for future reference, if you have a computer that still doesn't like your phone after you get your replacement (like my work computer... HA...) you can always create a dropbox account, then download the dropbox app from the market. I always use that to transfer files between PC and computer. Works awesome!

Thanks, I'll have to get the app. My wife uses it all the time for PC to PC stuff but didn't realize they have an androipd app.

ap77

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
They diagnosed it as a faulty USB port. They said the contacts responsible for communicating to the PC must be shorted out.

I've noticed a bunch of posts like this. The USB port on my epic is extremely touch and go as well. Never had this problem with a phone before. Heck of a job, Samsung. Lesson learned.

skillzmtc

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
USB device not recognized message

For some reason my computer is not recognizing my phone as a mass storage device. Im rooted running EXT4 with the quantom rom. I've tried two different usb cables and three different computers. Sometimes it says the device is ready to use but it says unknown device. I've reinstalled the drivers from the thread, but it does no good. Now I cant use odin or run new roms. Is my usb port bad? Any suggestions would be great.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
This has happened before, follow the link to the post and run down the list of things this person did and see what happens. It is a possibility that your USB port hardware in your phone is malfunctioning. Try this post first and please report back in that thread.

Thanks, good luck.

USB Connectivity Issues

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Must be a problem with the supplied USB cables, as I had to be specific...I had to always use the same cable I used when I installed the drivers...but with my laptop on Win 7, I can use a new cable I got from Radio Shack with both our phones with no problems! So now I just keep this cable with the computer. The other cables are just attached to the chargers they came with.

meadisu

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I've been waiting for someone to say that Sprint said it was a faulty usb connection. Mine was extremely finicky from the start and then one day it started working so I thought all was well and forgot about it. The past couple days I've tried again with no luck. So I've been scouring the forums, trying different cables/ports/drivers/computers/downloading the sdk/etc. Anyway, thanks! To the Sprint Store I go!!!!

freedumb87

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Must be a problem with the supplied USB cables, as I had to be specific...I had to always use the same cable I used when I installed the drivers...but with my laptop on Win 7, I can use a new cable I got from Radio Shack with both our phones with no problems! So now I just keep this cable with the computer. The other cables are just attached to the chargers they came with.

For you maybe it was the cable. But you can't just make a blanket statement and say your cable must be bad. I agree with you that there is some truth to the cable quality/length/power.

However, when I used to have no problems connecting and then all of a sudden it just stops working regardless of the computer, cable, usb port, etc., there is something else going on. Sprint looked at it and confirmed it is not a cabling or computer issue. It is a handset issue. That's why I came back and reported what Sprint told me. I wanted to give others my findings in case they are experiencing the same issue as me.

tp72

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Same here. I even took it in. They gave me some song and dance about my settings. I tried to tell them that wasn't the case. I will take it in first thing in the morning. Thanks.

thojmoto

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
i don't have that problem, but thanks for the heads up. i had a problem with the cable though. it only worked on the back ports of my pc, then i accidentally closed my car door on it and it stopped working. it could charge my phone but nothing else, so i bought a new thicker cable and magically it works on any port i plug it into now.

ap77

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Same here. I even took it in. They gave me some song and dance about my settings. I tried to tell them that wasn't the case. I will take it in first thing in the morning. Thanks.

I would prepare for another song and dance. One rep told me that I can't access the SD card through the phone. Notwithstanding the mode dedicated explicitly to that function on the phone. Then it was I had to enable USB debugging. And so on.

Idiots.

freedumb87

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I would prepare for another song and dance. One rep told me that I can't access the SD card through the phone. Notwithstanding the mode dedicated explicitly to that function on the phone. Then it was I had to enable USB debugging. And so on.

Idiots.

Guess you have to come with ammo. Bring the user manual that shows you can hook it straight to the computer and tell them to try it on their machine.

The guys at my local store seemed intelligent. My old store, not so much.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
For you maybe it was the cable. But you can't just make a blanket statement and say your cable must be bad. I agree with you that there is some truth to the cable quality/length/power.

However, when I used to have no problems connecting and then all of a sudden it just stops working regardless of the computer, cable, usb port, etc., there is something else going on. Sprint looked at it and confirmed it is not a cabling or computer issue. It is a handset issue. That's why I came back and reported what Sprint told me. I wanted to give others my findings in case they are experiencing the same issue as me.

Actually, I didn't say or mean to say my cable was bad, it just seemed that whichever cable I used (mine or my wife's) while installing the drivers, it seemed that our phones would only work when using that particular cable...but it seems to make no difference witht the radio shack cable. On another note, most of the problems occured on my older desktop, not the newer laptop...so that could have been a USB socket problem with the computer.

freedumb87

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I didn't say or mean to say my cable was bad, it just seemed that whichever cable I used (mine or my wife's) while installing the drivers, it seemed that our phones would only work when using that particular cable...but it seems to make no difference witht the radio shack cable. On another note, most of the problems occured on my older desktop, not the newer laptop...so that could have been a USB socket problem with the computer.

Yeah, I think we can agree that by the number of people in other posts with syncing issues, that this phone is somewhat finicky in regards to what cable is being used. However, I made the original post to make a point that while sometimes it is the actual cable or port being used, that is not always the case.

skillzmtc

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The issue i have is that im rooted. Im really new to all this so forgive the simple questions. One other thing is that when i plug the phone in, it doesnt even ask what i want to do with it (mass storage, charge, tether.)
Could i have corrupted files on my phone? Would formating my sd card unroot me?