Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    767 Global Posts
    ROM
    aosp v41 (until he update

Default Can Geotag be turned off?

I just saw a disturbing news clip about geotag pictures posted on social websites and how one can be tracked to that location - meaning people, houses, things of value, etc.

I thought this might be b--t, don't use these media, but my kids do. So I just decided to check 2 recent pics I had downloaded to my computer.

First picture showed no location, second did. This does not make me happy. To double check, pull up a picture, right click properties, then details and scroll down.

Then when I go to Gallery on phone, under more - show on map.

I don't keep GPS on, so might have some cell phone tower settings, but nothing turned on.

I want this off, and especially for my daughters who post everything (different phones) but will start by trying to turn mine off, then theirs. Please give any suggestions, this could be good for you too!!

Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted Stock

Quote Originally Posted by nmoreman View Post
    I don't keep GPS on, so might have some cell phone tower settings, but nothing turned on.

I want this off, and especially for my daughters who post everything (different phones) but will start by trying to turn mine off, then theirs. Please give any suggestions, this could be good for you too!!
    You can turn off Geotagging in the camera's options... However, you cannot control them turning it back on.. Might be time for teaching them some social responsibilty and let them know that you don't want them posting certain information (and why)... BUT.. It is def out of your control, unless you take their phones, which I know would be near impossible lol..
    My history: Ericsson 628, 768, T10, T28 World, Siemens S12, Nokia 8290, 3390, Motorola C330 , V70, Ericsson T68i, Motorola v100, Accompli 009, Sony Ericsson P800, T300, T610, O2 XDA II, BlackBerry 6210, Sanyo SCP5300, SCP8100, VM4500, PM8200, MM7400, MM8300, MM9000, BlackBerry 7750, Kyocera KX18, MM-A900, SCP8400, Pearl 8130, Tour 9630, Samsung Epic 4G, HTC Design 4G, Nook Tablet. CO's: Omnipoint, Voicestream, T-Mobile, (Amp'd for a short time) Sprint, Verizon
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    767 Global Posts
    ROM

Could you tell me how to turn it off?

I have emphasized the many dangers of posts, pictures, and even future consequences with potential employers (they are in college). However, I did
    not realize that the coordinants come up with "responsibly posted" pictures,
    which would include my own.

For their safety, I want this off and I cannot find anything in camera settings,
    I turned off GPS, Cell Tower triangulation, tested my camera with pic and in
    Gallery settings, I can still locate by map.

I want this off on mine and theirs.

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

That's wierd...I know that it used to be an option in the setting for the camera, but I can't seem to find it now. Though, I am rooted and running 2.2 so that may be an issue...

Edit: In theory, when you have the camera open, the option should be listed by clicked the gear in the corner, then the wrench icon (settings).
    Last edited by jd195; 01-25-2011 at 04:31 PM.

I had this issue before as well. I believe the setting was in the stock Epic Camera app. When I rooted and now running DK28, the setting is in the phone Settings > Location and Security. Turn off Use wireless networks under My location. It is the first option.
    Thanked by:

If they're posting the pictures simply to Facebook, don't worry: Facebook deletes all geotagging information off the photos that are uploaded to their servers.

Other websites don't do it.

Just grabbed a stock 2.1 Epic, and the option to disable geotagging for photos is to open the Camera, Click on the Gear icon (Settings), Click on the Wrench Tab, then there's an option that says "GPS". Uncheck that box and it should (according to the settings) disable geotagging on any photos taken with the camera after.
    Thanked by:
    Retired Ambassador

Pretty easy to turn off. Camera settings - look for the wrench tab - uncheck the GPS block.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    767 Global Posts
    ROM

I thank you for all your advise and all of your are right - somewhat.

The camera settings with tools and wrench is the first place I looked. I do not have that setting, I'm running TrulyEpicRebirth, so Froyo does not have that option.

To double check, I looked at my hubby's stock Epic (he won't let me touch or break his) and the setting is there under settings, wrench.

And as far as turning off the GPS and Wireless Locations, I try to keep them off because I don't need them and it might help the battery. However, some programs turn them on in background and I don't know, nor will I check before
    I take a pic!!

And I'm glad to hear Facebook takes that off, I don't know, I don't have account, but if was definitely something that I wasn't aware of and thought others might want to know.

Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted Stock

And I'm glad to hear Facebook takes that off, I don't know, I don't have account, but if was definitely something that I wasn't aware of and thought others might want to know.
    However, just keep in mind that might be fighting a tech battle you cannot win. Especially if they use 'check-in' apps like FourSquare/Facebook place/Google Latitude/ etc...
    My history: Ericsson 628, 768, T10, T28 World, Siemens S12, Nokia 8290, 3390, Motorola C330 , V70, Ericsson T68i, Motorola v100, Accompli 009, Sony Ericsson P800, T300, T610, O2 XDA II, BlackBerry 6210, Sanyo SCP5300, SCP8100, VM4500, PM8200, MM7400, MM8300, MM9000, BlackBerry 7750, Kyocera KX18, MM-A900, SCP8400, Pearl 8130, Tour 9630, Samsung Epic 4G, HTC Design 4G, Nook Tablet. CO's: Omnipoint, Voicestream, T-Mobile, (Amp'd for a short time) Sprint, Verizon
    Retired Ambassador

I thank you for all your advise and all of your are right - somewhat.

The camera settings with tools and wrench is the first place I looked. I do not have that setting, I'm running TrulyEpicRebirth, so Froyo does not have that option.

To double check, I looked at my hubby's stock Epic (he won't let me touch or break his) and the setting is there under settings, wrench.

And as far as turning off the GPS and Wireless Locations, I try to keep them off because I don't need them and it might help the battery. However, some programs turn them on in background and I don't know, nor will I check before
    I take a pic!!

My stock 2.1 is in the menue wheth the wrench.

You need to open the camera app, under setting click on tags and uncheck location tag.

Slappy
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sneezy316 View Post
    I had this issue before as well. I believe the setting was in the stock Epic Camera app. When I rooted and now running DK28, the setting is in the phone Settings > Location and Security. Turn off Use wireless networks under My location. It is the first option.
    This option is for maps as well... How do you just turn off the geo tagging for the camera app in dk28

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkA4 View Post
    This option is for maps as well... How do you just turn off the geo tagging for the camera app in dk28
    As far as I know, that is the only way to turn off geotag on the stock camera app. I also use Camera360, and it has the setting available in the app. Camera360 has 3 settings, cell tower, gps, and off. But it does not over ride the setting in Location and Security. It is rather strange that they would take the option out of the stock camera app.

I now just have a shortcut set to the Location and Security menu to get to it quickly as a workaround.

Default Shut off geotag w/ froyo?

Has anyone found a way to shut off geotagging pics when running 2.2 (stock build and camera app)?
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by GriffMH View Post
    Has anyone found a way to shut off geotagging pics when running 2.2 (stock build and camera app)?
    It's simple with 2.1 but I can't say for sure with 2.2.

Sent from my Epic using Tapatalk
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by sneezy316 View Post
    I now just have a shortcut set to the Location and Security menu to get to it quickly as a workaround.
    Unfortunately this is what I had to do, too. It's pretty lame that it was removed from 2.2. Is there a way to get the 2.1 software running on 2.2?

It's been documented over at XDA that the option to remove geo-tagging was removed with the 2.2 update.

I'm non-rooted, used the update.zip and that is the case for me. Now I have gallery folders named by their location...very annoying as I had it turned off before.

Its been a while since this was discussed and i was asked this by a female friend yesterday. She wants to turn off her camera GPS. With more and more EPICS getting 2.2 has anybody found a better way to disable GPS geotaging?
    DropBox lets you sync files across Android, iOS, and Desktop Computers. Sign up for free, install, get me and you extra space! DropBox
    Twitter @AndroidTechGuy and @IAmSixNine
    Google+Google+

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    ROM
    ACE ROM v1.7

i am running 2.2. i have my location and wireless options off under settings -security.

when i open a picture in my gallery i have taken and go to the details. it says unknown for location, etc
    Rom - ACE v1.7
    Theme - TER Mini Theme v1.8
    Kernel - Genocide v.03a

Good info, thanks..
    DropBox lets you sync files across Android, iOS, and Desktop Computers. Sign up for free, install, get me and you extra space! DropBox
    Twitter @AndroidTechGuy and @IAmSixNine
    Google+Google+

Default Android 2.2 - Atrix

I looked and found this working for me on my Android 2.2.
    Go to the Camera, then Settings then Tags. There is the option for "auto location tag" on mine and it's off. I tested it with my GPS ON and took a picture with and without the tag ON and the one with the Tag ON had the GPS location. YOu don't have to turn off the GPS tag from the main settings for the pictures. HTH
    Anatole
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by avfarci View Post
    I looked and found this working for me on my Android 2.2.
    Go to the Camera, then Settings then Tags. There is the option for "auto location tag" on mine and it's off. I tested it with my GPS ON and took a picture with and without the tag ON and the one with the Tag ON had the GPS location. YOu don't have to turn off the GPS tag from the main settings for the pictures. HTH
    Anatole
    This sounds like the settings in 2.1. My 2.2 camera settings doesn't have tags anywhere in the settings menu.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

Removing the option to turn tagging off from the camera app is probably the most idiotic thing they could have done. This is even more ridiculous than the new call log which includes text messages.

Isn't there anyone with a brain around to approve these moronic changes?

Default Disable Geotagging - Bring It BACK!

I want to disable the geotagging feature and in 2.2 the option has been removed...totally unacceptable...c'mon help us keep some things private! need SIMPLE solution without having to go to through the PITA process using "Location & Security"...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast