Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Changing one of the 4 icons on bottom of Home screen

I have an Evo so I don't have this situation myself. My daughter has an Epic and wants to change one of the 4 icons on the bottom of the home screen. Specifically the stock messaging icon to handcent. The standard method doesn't work for these 4 and I couldn't find it in the settings. Thank you in advance. Bob

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts

You can't change the bottom row on the Epic unless you use one of the other launchers available. I use ADWLauncher EX myself but others prefer Launcher Pro.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    767 Global Posts
    ROM
    aosp v41 (until he update

If her phone is rooted, running a custom rom or DK28, you can change any of the icons.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

She's 13. Probably won't be rooting. She spends enough time on the computer. Thank you for the responses. I'll let her try a launcher app unless someone has a better way. Bob

The Froyo update- when it does push out will allow this customization you're looking for. Until then- any launcher replacement will do this. ZEAM is one of the easiest for manipulating the dock- simple drag and drop.
    Thanked by:

Check it:

Some Android SMS Questions Answered: Changing the default app

She can't change the icon, but within the default messaging app, she can have the default app switch at certain points to Handcent.

EDIT:

The only other option I can think of at this time (which others have suggested) is for her to switch to LauncherPro (I run the Plus version).

http://www.appbrain.com/app/launcher....fede.launcher
    Eric Stewart - http://ericdives.com/
    For my Android experiences, see my Android related blog posts
    Treo 300 > Treo 650 > Blackberry 8703e > Blackberry 8830 > Blackberry 9630 > Palm Pre > Samsung Epic 4G
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    ROM
    Froyo DK28

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye99 View Post
    She's 13. Probably won't be rooting. She spends enough time on the computer. Thank you for the responses. I'll let her try a launcher app unless someone has a better way. Bob
    Launcher Pro is you rbest option. It gives you 3 scrollable launch bars that can be customized with hwat ever quick app launches she desires.

She can eve change the icons in each individual launch app.
    Please add thanks if I have helped you in anyway. I will always spread the Aloha and reciprocate.
    Samsung Epic; Froyo DK28
    Carrier Sprint since 1998
    Palm Pilot 1997 + Nokia 7650,8200, Palm Treo 700p 2005, Palm Pre June 2009, Sayonara Palm. Android Sept. 2010
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Changing one of the 4 icons on bottom of Home screen

I wish I worked at google

ROM
    MIUI

You go into the apparently drawer and hit menu then select "edit" and just drag whatever u want into the spot

Quote Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz View Post

Quote Originally Posted by btc0526 View Post
    You go into the apparently drawer and hit menu then select "edit" and just drag whatever u want into the spot
    You guys should note the date of the thread. Everything said in January is true. Because the official Froyo update was not available in January. Froyo gave the ability to edit the TouchWiz dock bar......
    I wish I worked at google

ROM
    MIUI

Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    You guys should note the date of the thread. Everything said in January is true. Because the official Froyo update was not available in January. Froyo gave the ability to edit the TouchWiz dock bar......
    I only saw when it was last updated, didn't see the thread start date, sorry