Hotmail Setup

havasu486

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased an Epic. So far I like the phone but I will only keep it if it will work with my hotmail account which I have had forever. I am expecting it to notify me of incoming e-mails just as my Blackberry did. Any assistance on making this happen will be greatly appreciated. I do have an exchange account for work and it works fine. Thank You

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Set it up as a [Pop3/IMAP] account.

I'm using Pop3 for my Gmail, Yahoo, accounts.

Ps. Welcome to the forum havasu486. O:)

*Note*
You can always change the time intervals on when to receive mail(in settings) .

skyward

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
This is the setup to get push email, and sync contacts and calendars with hotmail.

Use the default email app.

Tap "POP" and switch the account type to "Exchange (EAS)"
Set the Incoming Mail Server to "https://m.hotmail.com" (no quotes)
Leave Domain blank
Set your username to your full @hotmail email address (i.e. include @hotmail.com or @live.com)
Enter your password.

That's it! You will now be getting all your Hotmail

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I use msn (hotmail) and it sets up automatically, just go to email, enter username, password, hit automatic and it will go.

If you want it to push automatically to you, go to settings. There are options there for whatever timeframe you want (or none in my case) to get what you want.

You might also want to look at a free app called Handcent. I love this, combines my 3 accounts, has many settings (especially font size) that appeals to me. Again, set to
frequency you want for recipt.

Reactions: havasu486

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
This is the setup to get push email, and sync contacts and calendars with hotmail.

Tap "POP" and switch the account type to "Exchange (EAS)"
Set the Incoming Mail Server to "https://m.hotmail.com" (no quotes)
Leave Domain blank
Set your username to your full @hotmail email address (i.e. include @hotmail.com or @live.com)
Enter your password.

That's it! You will now be getting all your Hotmail

Close, and your correction is correct.

Hotmail can be set up to push - do not use POP or IMAP.

In the email app, tap Add Account, then put in your email address and password and then tap "Manual Setup"

Tap "Exchange Account"

And then follow the instructions above. This will push your email and sync hotmail contacts and calendar.

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
If you want it to push automatically to you, go to settings. There are options there for whatever timeframe you want (or none in my case) to get what you want.

This is not "push" - this has your phone check your POP server in those time intervals and is a waste of battery a it checks when there is no new email.

If you set it up as an Exchange Account following the instructions above, when the email hits the server it will be pushed to your phone immediately. No need to wait for the time interval and no need to check when there is no email.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Skyward, you are right, its not Handcent its K-9 Email :confused:

I use both, love the customizations and especially the way to adjust font (meaning enlarge so I don't have to put on my glasses)

havasu486

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Now there is only one other issue. Once I delete the e-mail from the phone it does from the server also. Is this avoidable? You would think this would be a selectable option.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Again, I use K-9, put in my username and password, used automatic and it works perfectly.
I also have SBC in box, so it runs two. That is harder to set up, must do it manually but so much better than using the Yahoo App - faster.

Then go to settings - I have mine selected manual, but it has frequency of poll so you can get when arrives, time it, or go never.

Then allows complete customization of size of various aspects of mail.

Mine works perfect, I did not set to pop, imap, or anything, just automatic, so try that.

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Now there is only one other issue. Once I delete the e-mail from the phone it does from the server also. Is this avoidable? You would think this would be a selectable option.

Sorry, no. That's how exchange works.

You're looking directly into the server and the phone acts as a mirror of that server. What you do on the phone is what happens on the server.

LS2982

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
This is not "push" - this has your phone check your POP server in those time intervals and is a waste of battery a it checks when there is no new email.

If you set it up as an Exchange Account following the instructions above, when the email hits the server it will be pushed to your phone immediately. No need to wait for the time interval and no need to check when there is no email.

Can you please explain to me how to set it up through the exchange server the method explained earlier is not working. Thanks!

Last edited:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Just tried this and it worked too well. It sucked in my hotmail address books as well. My Hot mail address book has been neglected for years. I ended up spending the better half of the day cleaning it up. LOL

jnewsted

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Close, and your correction is correct.

Hotmail can be set up to push - do not use POP or IMAP.

In the email app, tap Add Account, then put in your email address and password and then tap "Manual Setup"

Tap "Exchange Account"

And then follow the instructions above. This will push your email and sync hotmail contacts and calendar.
Well, this is exactly what I want to do- have my phone hotmail and online hotmail sync up. I get an error message "Failed to connect to the Exchange server. Please check exchange server settings"

Any advice on that? Thanks!

chiasmata

May 2, 2012
Visit site
this is the setup to get push email, and sync contacts and calendars with hotmail.

Tap "pop" and switch the account type to "exchange (eas)"
set the incoming mail server to "https://m.hotmail.com" (no quotes)
leave domain blank
set your username to your full @hotmail email address (i.e. Include @hotmail.com or @live.com)
enter your password.

That's it! You will now be getting all your hotmail

thanks so much for this!!! I almost went back to my iphone over this issue, gah!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glda19