How to use Verizon towers for 3g

stormglove

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a friend who rooted someones EVO had set up for him to use verizon's 3g towers since the 3g in my town doesn't really exist with sprint. the guy who set it up is gone and now that I've rooted (running truly epic rebirth) I'm trying to figure out how to do this so I can get some 3g service in my office. Thank you for any help.

FenixOK

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes, Sprint may cancel your service if you use more roaming service than On-Network service. Usually they'll send a letter or two to tell you to cut it out, then they'll tell you to find different service.

Generally, this is because roaming costs Sprint exponentially more, unless they have a roaming agreement or partnership in a specific area, which wouldn't even show your phone as roaming.

Ajbent86

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I have Roam Control on my Epic. It works great for getting on Verizon towers, however it will only connect to 1x data speeds.

The Epic shows the 3G icon for both 1x and EVDO data.

Do a speed test while roaming with Roam Control and it will verify it.

If you?re just looking to make calls in low sprint signal areas, i HIGHLY recommend Roam Control. If you?re looking to use data, get Wi-Fi.

ducatti20

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes, Sprint may cancel your service if you use more roaming service than On-Network service. Usually they'll send a letter or two to tell you to cut it out, then they'll tell you to find different service.

Generally, this is because roaming costs Sprint exponentially more, unless they have a roaming agreement or partnership in a specific area, which wouldn't even show your phone as roaming.
Sounds like a easy way to get out of a contract...

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Roaming is how I got a free upgrade when the networks were transitioning from analog to digital. I spent 4 months in Alabama and Georgia on “Verizon” I was killing them in roaming charges on analog. They sent me a letter asking me to please take the letter to any Verizon store and upgrade to any phone I wanted for free! Apparently, their digital roaming was much cheaper then analog roaming!

Unfortunately Sprint will terminate you for excessive roaming. It’s nonsense but reality.

stormglove

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
So is there no way to get onto the 3g/data services of verizon? what im gathering is the roam control wont allow this to happen?

the guy who did this on the evo said you have to dial ##775# ir somthing like that to get something to come up so you can switch. Is there something like this for the Epic?

vteclipsegs

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Use Roam Control. If Sprint has a 3g roaming agreement in your area you'll get VZW 3g. In some areas I've been I only get 1xRTT roaming because thats the contract Sprint has in that area.

alestin

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Roam Control also is not working for my rooted Epic

I have Epic with EB13 Froyo rooted with CWM 3.0.0.5

I have Roam Control 1.5.
When I click "roam only", I don't see any changes to my phone.
The signal bar does not change to roam mode (triangle).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital