Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Default should i update to froyo manually or just wait for the ota

Simply put I'm tired of waiting for the ota update for my epic should I just use the leaked update or wait for the ota since I've made it this long without it. Also if I wanted to know can I return to stock and do the official update if I wanted to?

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    ROM
    ACE ROM on EB13

Just install TER ROM its great!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    356 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock TW FH13 ICS 4.0.4

there will be no OTA. Samsung lied to us don't you get it? Go ahead and install a custom ROM.
    Thanked by:
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

I just installed dk28. It seems soo much smoother. Only had it up about 10 minutes now. I can't connect to wifi. I gotta figure out why. OTher than everything seems to working.
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Ill get on it then. Could you provide the link for the update by any chance
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

Still having problems with the wifi. Says unable to save connection. Youtube " epic 4g odin" there are links and a video for everything you need.

it didn't work right away for me. Actually. I pulled the battery after several attempts then got a phone to pc screen. I thought I was done. Then I tried to flash again and it went right through.

Quote Originally Posted by biggiehead View Post
    Simply put I'm tired of waiting for the ota update for my epic should I just use the leaked update or wait for the ota since I've made it this long without it. Also if I wanted to know can I return to stock and do the official update if I wanted to?
    Can I Still Get OTA Updates with Leaked Froyo/Custom ROM/etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkA4 View Post
    Still having problems with the wifi. Says unable to save connection. Youtube " epic 4g odin" there are links and a video for everything you need.

it didn't work right away for me. Actually. I pulled the battery after several attempts then got a phone to pc screen. I thought I was done. Then I tried to flash again and it went right through.
    [How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Thanked by:

ROM
    AOKP'ing it.

Quote Originally Posted by biggiehead View Post
    I got sick of the empty promises of Froyo myself. There are some really awesome, stable, and FAST ROMs out there. There is a heap of information on this site to get you started.

Simply put, if you want Froyo on your device, get to reading! Lol And remember, you've got this whole community here to help you out whenever you need.

Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 alpha 1

Now that 2.1 is on 90% of all Android devices, it is highly likely that the Galaxy S class will be abandoned. There will be no update and more importantly, no compensation for their inability to provide an suitable update. Everyone is looking forward to Galaxy S 2, dual core devices and we have gone from Flagship to Toilet in 5 months. Makes me feel dirty.
    Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean people aren't after you.

Quote Originally Posted by tedcousens View Post
    Now that 2.1 is on 90% of all Android devices, it is highly likely that the Galaxy S class will be abandoned. There will be no update and more importantly, no compensation for their inability to provide an suitable update. Everyone is looking forward to Galaxy S 2, dual core devices and we have gone from Flagship to Toilet in 5 months. Makes me feel dirty.
    Yep. The terminology has gone from "2.2 WILL be released" to "We're working on providing a bug-free release" AKA "We're going to string you along until MWC then we'll admit defeat and say its technically impossible".

The Epic will NOT get 2.2, and even if it did it would still be behind by 2 generations (2.3 and 3.0). We're waiting and fighting for something that is still outdated.

The 2.2 test release that all the custom roms are based on currently is buggy. Most notably, the battery life and radio portions have issues. I'd say that unless there are specific features of Froyo you really want you might as well wait until official comes out. Of course, you can always try it and flash back to stock if you don't like it.
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by narf View Post
    The 2.2 test release that all the custom roms are based on currently is buggy. Most notably, the battery life and radio portions have issues. I'd say that unless there are specific features of Froyo you really want you might as well wait until official comes out. Of course, you can always try it and flash back to stock if you don't like it.
    I really like it. I'm thinking about going custom rom since its so buggy. Is it worth it?

ROM
    AOKP'ing it.

Quote Originally Posted by tedcousens View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vteclipsegs View Post
    Yep. The terminology has gone from "2.2 WILL be released" to "We're working on providing a bug-free release" AKA "We're going to string you along until MWC then we'll admit defeat and say its technically impossible".

The Epic will NOT get 2.2, and even if it did it would still be behind by 2 generations (2.3 and 3.0). We're waiting and fighting for something that is still outdated.
    Haha, 'nuff said...
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

I just flashed back. Having gps, wifi, and cell signal issues. Don't have time mess around with it or install custom roms today. I need my phone and gps.

Flashing back worked smoother than flashing forward. Could have just been lucky. Worked the first time.

Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    ROM
    Froyo DK28

I am happy with DK28 on My EPIC,

I will probably use this phone until it no longer functions as it is more than adequate for my needs and it screams now with 2.2, GPS fine, No Problems except an occasional Bluetooth bug which I think I figured out..

I will say this I will never buy another Samsung Phone expecting to get a software update, If I do buy another Samsung I will buy one that has the Software I want out of the box, or be content with what is has stock.

I will never buy based on an empty promise...

I am still happy with the overall performance and device stability.

It is a better device than HTC and has everything I need.
    Please add thanks if I have helped you in anyway. I will always spread the Aloha and reciprocate.
    Samsung Epic; Froyo DK28
    Carrier Sprint since 1998
    Palm Pilot 1997 + Nokia 7650,8200, Palm Treo 700p 2005, Palm Pre June 2009, Sayonara Palm. Android Sept. 2010
    Thanked by:

@addie_goodvibes, that is a great way to sum it up.

I too bought into Sammy knowing their upgrade rep. My buddy has a Moment and we all know how they got hung out to dry. He told me its a great phone but don't rely on Sammys word for upgrades.

My friend has never lied to me about electronics and his words still stand. Sammy, great product. Just not living up to their upgrade promises as they have in the past.
    Paul

Default Just do it...

I waiting a month after buying my Epic before taking the plunge. I've not looked back. It was super easy to root and flash. It took longer to download the files. Go for it. I'm currently using TruelyEpic, found on this forum.

Global Posts
    780 Global Posts

I updated to froyo and the TrulyEpic Rebirth ROM a couple of weeks ago and I am very happy with it. GPS finally works the way it should and the phone is very fast. Battery life is a bit worse but not so bad that I am going to flash back to stock. Give it a try...you can always go back to stock.

Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 alpha 1

I think it's wonderful that many are rooting their phones even if they are reporting different results (mostly positive but some buggy). However, the real issue for the overwhelming majority of Epic owners (that do NOT root thier phones) is waiting for a release that will never exist. I don't really are if it's Samsung or Sprint or both- the fact that a suitable build for a phone cannot be achieved is pure ineptitude and poor engineering. I weep. Mostly because I love the screen and and what could have been a flagship phone for another 9-12 months if they could support it properly. So thanks to all of you that report the wonders of rooting but for the vast majority, nobody cares.
    Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean people aren't after you.
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

Do you have problems connecting to wifi with wep?

I couldn't connect to my home network but was able to connect to optimum wifi.

And how is your cell signal? Did you notice a difference from stock dk28 if you used it?

The only reason I flashed back was because I am in need of my phone and gps tonight. Couldn't mess with it at work.

@tedcousens, I fully agree with you. To the majority of phone users they have never heard of rooting or custom roms, etc. Doesn't mean anything to them. At the same time we do need to give people the option to consider this route as a means to get what they are waiting on from Sammy/Sprint or carriers.

I would like to see the Froyo upgrade drop already just to stop the endless talk of "wheres the update?" But I would guess to say its not going to live up to what everyone is expecting. Especially judging from the official update Fascinate owners received. Sure it runs, its good but it does have some bugs. Really its about no better than the "unofficial" leaked version that we have for the Epic.

I just believe its a pipe dream if people are really expecting the update to be smooth going and problem free. There hasn't been a single official Froyo release that hasn't been followed by (or waiting) mini updates/fixes to hammer out the issues. Who knows how long that could take from Sammy/Sprint, possibly never. They could release the update tomorrow, with bugs and then say there ya go.... Froyo.. now we have for filled our end of the bargain, any further Froyo support will not be addressed. I know it sounds horrible but it could happen just that way.

Another issue is, has Sprint/Sammy said anything/anywhere about the Froyo update fixing the GPS? Not that I can remember. So many are probably banking on the idea that Froyo will address this issue. I don't believe so, maybe I am wrong. If I am right there are going to be a lot of let down Epic owners.

Not to rain on your parade I'm just stating the obvious and trying to get all sides of the story looked at. Yours, general public and the "rooters" point of view.

But as I said from the start, you are correct in what your saying but there is also other sides to this story to. So keep posting we are listening.
    Paul

Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

My gps didn't work with froyo at all. Eclair works. I would have kept froyo leak with bugs as this is bugged too as long as those things worked.

A this point I'm waiting to see what htc is releasing and if nothing worth getting I'll get the evo. (that is if I don't find a custom rom I like that works)

Global Posts
    780 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkA4 View Post
    Do you have problems connecting to wifi with wep?

I couldn't connect to my home network but was able to connect to optimum wifi.

And how is your cell signal? Did you notice a difference from stock dk28 if you used it?

The only reason I flashed back was because I am in need of my phone and gps tonight. Couldn't mess with it at work.
    No problems with wifi but I am using WPA2 security.

I never used the stock dk28 build but my cell signal with TER ROM seems a bit stronger than on 2.1 but I didn't really have any cell issues before.

I had to do one of the GPS fixes listed (I think it was #4) after flashing TER but now I can even get a lock in my basement in about 10 seconds. The fact that all the GPS issues are obviously software related and no fix from Samsung will make me think twice about my next phone. Too bad because the hardware is better than anything else IMHO.

Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    ROM
    Froyo DK28

I have been running DK28 for over a month.. I am getting GPS lock down to 43 ft..

no complaints.. occasionally a bluetooth issue that only happens when using higher end BT device.. and I think I found the pattern of shutting the bt off to prevent the phone volume issues..

the benefits of leaked Froyo DK28 outweigh any problems , honestly I haven't experienced the glitches other are having here, of course i am also not installing custom Roms, i did with 2.1 but have decided to stick with simple DK28 and I am happy with performance.
    Please add thanks if I have helped you in anyway. I will always spread the Aloha and reciprocate.
    Samsung Epic; Froyo DK28
    Carrier Sprint since 1998
    Palm Pilot 1997 + Nokia 7650,8200, Palm Treo 700p 2005, Palm Pre June 2009, Sayonara Palm. Android Sept. 2010
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

hmm. Now I can't connect to my home wifi with 2.1. I'm going to assume its something with my router now. I will have to try the gps fix when I have the time with 2.2.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast