How to capture a screenshot, with and without an app on Froyo DK28

eltoozero

Feb 1, 2011
www.destruc.tv
Seems like a stupid question right? Not until you try to actually make one.

The Built-in Method​
There really is a built-in feature to capture a screen shot:

1. Slide out the keyboard.
  2. Press and hold the back key (lower-left side of physical kb).
  3. While holding back, press the home key (upper-right side of physical kb).
This will result in a landscape screen capture.

Supposedly there is a purely capacitive soft-key method of taking a portrait shot, but I can't figure it out. Here's a method that works:

1. Slide out the keyboard.
  2. Slide in enough so that you can still hold the back hard-key but screen switches to portrait.
  3. Press home soft-key.
This will result in a portrait screen capture.

The Download Yet Another App Method​
If just love extra apps, use ShootMe off the Market. I've read it works without root. Have fun shaking*, shouting at*, and covering the screen of* your Epic.

*This doesn't sound like fun to me either, which is why I created this thread for you.

Examples:

SC20110206-213750.png

SC20110206-214833.jpg

Last edited:

arewin

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Really dumb question: Where does the screenshot end up? Thought I'd ask before I take several and then can't find them.

Thanks
arewin

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
ScreenCapture is the folder that is created in your Gallery. REALLY like this feature rather than using an app.

The Portrait method is a pain with the 1/2 open keyboard- but it works. Thanks for posting this.

Reactions: arewin

arewin

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
brandoc,

I used the landscape method. When I hold down both buttons for a second or so I feel the phone move (don't know the correct term for the brief shake) and then the Task Manager box appears. I select the Gallery icon, but I haven't found the Screen Capture folder. I tried the portrait method, but I don't have the dexterty for this. Any more instructions?

thanks
arewin

cabrone

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
brandoc,

I used the landscape method. When I hold down both buttons for a second or so I feel the phone move (don't know the correct term for the brief shake) and then the Task Manager box appears. I select the Gallery icon, but I haven't found the Screen Capture folder. I tried the portrait method, but I don't have the dexterty for this. Any more instructions?

thanks
arewin

Same result with my girlfriends epic. Hmm.

eltoozero

Feb 1, 2011
www.destruc.tv
brandoc,

The "brief shake" is short vibrate.

Ok, I think you're holding home 1st, which triggers the Task Manager, you need to hold the back key 1st, then press home to take the shot.

Thanks for the feedback.

arewin

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
eltoozero,

Thanks, but still no "Screen Capture" folder. On all my screenshot attempts I've held down the `back` button first and then the `home` button, and I get the "short vibrate" and then the task manager. This morning `Gallery` was not one of the options that I could select. I used the`Astro` application on the phone to search the SD folder but no Screen Capture folder. Do I have to access the SD card by connecting the phone vis USG cable to a computer? The "Gallery" that I can access from the phone Application screen contains photos I've taken, but no screenshots. Any other suggestions?

Arewin

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
eltoozero,

Thanks, but still no "Screen Capture" folder. On all my screenshot attempts I've held down the `back` button first and then the `home` button, and I get the "short vibrate" and then the task manager. This morning `Gallery` was not one of the options that I could select. I used the`Astro` application on the phone to search the SD folder but no Screen Capture folder. Do I have to access the SD card by connecting the phone vis USG cable to a computer? The "Gallery" that I can access from the phone Application screen contains photos I've taken, but no screenshots. Any other suggestions?

Arewin

If you cannot find the Screen Capture folder on your SD card then your not getting the process to "work". If the snapshot is successful you will here the "camera snap/shot" sound just like when taking a picture. It will also say "Screen Captured, Saved as Image File".

I always find the landscape mode the easiest. The portrait mode is a pain in the butt and that is normally the mode you want your screen shot in..

In answer to your "short vibrate then task manager", that is the home key doing what it is intended to do. Vibrate when long pressed (if you have haptic feedback enabled) and then bring you to the task manager.

arewin

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Paul627g

Not getting things to work is a 'gift' that I have. By the way, does the phone have to be rooted? Because mine isn't.

Thanks
arewin

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Paul627g

Not getting things to work is a 'gift' that I have. By the way, does the phone have to be rooted? Because mine isn't.

Thanks
arewin

No I don't believe so. I'm rooted but regardless I think its built into Froyo..

Skip trying the portrait method and do the landscape method just to verify... It should work. The portrait method is like I said almost worthless IMO.

arewin

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, that is the answer, I'm still at 2.1. At least now I won't waste hours trying to coordinate/sequence the button pushing "just right".

arewin

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Samsung really needs to implement a portrait screenshot mode that landscape mode is cool but it gets annoying very fast. Not sure why this is not implemented properly

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Samsung really needs to implement a portrait screenshot mode that landscape mode is cool but it gets annoying very fast. Not sure why this is not implemented properly

This feature is built into Froyo, not by Samsung. Sammy has nothing to do with the operation of this feature. There are quite a few different market apps available for nice screen shots. Rooted or stock there are options available.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7