Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    ROM
    SRF1.2/TwilightZone 1.1.1

Default 3G no longer staying connected during calls

I'm not sure when this started, but I noticed yesterday that when I receive a phone call, 3G service is dropped for the duration of the call. later I was in an area with 4G coverage and tried making a phone call while using the internet, and 4G was not dropped during the call. So for some reason this problem seems to only be effecting 3G. Does anyone know hat could be going on?

Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    I'm not sure when this started, but I noticed yesterday that when I receive a phone call, 3G service is dropped for the duration of the call. later I was in an area with 4G coverage and tried making a phone call while using the internet, and 4G was not dropped during the call. So for some reason this problem seems to only be effecting 3G. Does anyone know hat could be going on?
    If your talking about the 3g icon disappearing this happens whenever your making a call using 3g. In 3g mode you are limited to phone use only. 4g stays lit because in 4g mode you can make phone calls and browse the internet in 4g mode.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    ROM

I could have sworn that with the Epic it was possible to use 3g while using the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    I could have sworn that with the Epic it was possible to use 3g while using the phone.
    Not to my knowledge... Any time I have ever tried during a 3g phone call it won't allow you to browse the internet.

Edit: From the searching I've done, Sprint's systems don't allow it. You can be on 4g browsing the internet and then 3g handles the phone call. Another scenario is you can be WiFi on the internet and then 3g will handle the calls.
    Paul

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

ROM
    Marcusant v2 MTD, Samurai

Ever notice how the AT&T iPhone commercials like talking about how you can browse the internet (3G) while being on the phone? That's because you can't do it on CDMA (Verizon and Sprint) networks. So no, it was never possible to use 3G data while talking on an Epic.

That's one of the limitations on CDMA phones using 3G network.

ROM
    AC!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Not to my knowledge... Any time I have ever tried during a 3g phone call it won't allow you to browse the internet.

Edit: From the searching I've done, Sprint's systems don't allow it. You can be on 4g browsing the internet and then 3g handles the phone call. Another scenario is you can be WiFi on the internet and then 3g will handle the calls.
    yep, im able to browse the net while on 4G and talking on the phone

your 3g radio is your cellular radio as well. when 4g is on the 4g is your data radio and 3g is your cellular radio so you can use both.

Global Posts
    615 Global Posts

CMDA 3G technology, such as Cricket, Sprint, Verizon, MetroPCS, can only talk OR use data, but not simultaneously.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    ROM

I guess it all makes sense now, especially after having used the Palm Pre for a year and a half and coming up against Sprint's limitations re: using data while being on the phone. To be honest, I feel a bit silly for not having realized that the Epic was under the same constraints as far as 3G is concerned, and I'm not entirely sure how I didn't realize that you couldn't talk on the phone and use data at the same time until last night. Hell, I've had the phone for three months...sorry, folks.

stinks.

Ahhh give it another few months-6 months at the rate Sprint and other carriers are adding 4g coverage the 3g limitation won't even be an issue anymore for most customers.
    Paul

How often do you really need internet access while talking on the phone? To me worst case scenario is you just hang up and call them back right after you've accessed any information. It just seems way overblown as a feature of AT&T.

Switch to AT&T so whenever you need to scroll through a list of carriers AT&T is first. Don't waste precious seconds scrolling all the way down to Sprint or Verizon. Definitely worth having to pay more for data caps and network congestion.

I think I've done it maybe 2 or 3 times in a few months where I Googled something while on the phone. Not very high on my priority list.
    Paul

Global Posts
    1,134 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock - but Rooted

I just did a short test on my Sprint Epic 4G, and I can say for sure that you can talk on the phone while surfing the internet if you are on 4G or wifi.

With that being said, I tried the same test call and tried to surf the internet while on 3G and I cannot surf the internet.

So even though Sprint's CDMA 3G network can't technically handle phone calls and surf the internet in my test examples, if you are on 4G or wifi, then you can do both.

Thats all I need for the amount of times that I would use the "dual feature" of phone and data at the same time - at least it can be done. :-)
    Sprint LG G3 (tweaked and rooted)
    Samsung Galaxy S3 (tweaked and rooted)
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    Apple iPad 3 (yes, I have one of those also)
    "kickstand4u" mobile kickstands for all mobile devices

Oh my! I rooted, xposed, and twrped my LG G3!
    Rock Solid and Almost Perfect!