How did your update to EB13 go?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gondo

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
THOUGHT I had a good Froyo update...

until I launched the Camera and tried using the Sports Scene mode: instant error every time and have to do a Force Close.

Then, to add insult to injury, after the error when the screen goes blank to save power, it will not "wake up"/come back on, only the 4 bottom lighted icons appear.

Was thinking I would have to remove the battery to reset the phone, but managed a reset with the Volume Up/Camera/Power button salute.

I did root my phone with EXT4 not long after the Froyo update, but didn't try the Camera Sports scene mode until now, after Froyo and rooting were done. So can't say if it was the Froyo update or the root, but since other Froyo updaters have had the problem recently, would guess it's Froyo.

Anyone who has done the Froyo update, especially those who think they are problem-free, should try the Camera Sports scene mode. Would be curious to see how many "gotchas" show up.

Am contemplating a return to Eclair/stock, although the Wifi tether (available after rooting) is pretty nifty. Can always re-root later, though, hopefully after Bozo and his Samsung mates correct the Froyo update :confused:.

gondo

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Verifying EXT4

Have seen some of you ask how to do this, to make sure EXT4 was correctly installed on the phone after rooting. Being a noob, I was confused too, as at the end of the EXT4 installation instructions it only says:

Optional: you can confirm you have successfully converted to EXT4 by using the command Code: adb shell mount or Code: adb shell df...Your command prompt will return something like this: (shows "ext4" 3 times in a command screen)...Notice it mentions "ext4", not "rfs".

Ragnarokx got a little cryptic there at the end, assuming we all know how to run the verification command...well, no :-[.

I did it (in my estimation) the hard way and installed the Android SDK (development platform) on my Windows computer (Vista):

Android SDK | Android Developers

Installation is a fairly lengthy process, but it allows you to run adb shell commands from a command prompt on your Windows computer, such as the aforementioned "adb shell mount", with your phone connected to your computer via USB with USB debugging mode on. You can also do this directly on your phone using such programs as ConnectBot (free), Better Terminal (paid) and others. I'm pretty sure there is a fairly limited stock terminal program in Android, but I couldn't figure out how to launch it, and I couldn't figure out how to use ConnectBot on the phone either (noob disease).

When you install the Android SDK on your PC, it will prompt you to install a Java developer platform first (JE?), which is different than the standard Java most of us install to run Java on our PCs. After you install the Android SDK, there are a bunch of updates to install - I'm not sure how critical these are but I installed them anyway.

To verify EXT4 is installed on your phone, using your computer: with the phone connected to the PC via USB and USB debugging mode on, open a Command prompt in Windows and use the "cd" (change directory) command to navigate to adb.exe using the following path: C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\ , type the "adb shell mount" (no quotes) command at the end of the path and hit the Enter key. That opens a shell just like the one pictured at the end of the EXT4 installation instructions, and you can verify the EXT4 instances in the text, indicating it's been installed.

I know, seems like a lot of work to verify something fairly simple, but I learned a bit along the way and you never know when you might need it again. I imagine there is an easier way to run these shell commands other than those I've mentioned, so I'll defer to the experts here for more info. After all, I am a noob :confused:...

I would really like to figure out how to run these shell commands on the phone using ConnectBot or whatever, that would be handy...instructions welcome :).

Hope this helps!

Matty-Mo

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I received the update to 2.2 the wednesday morning before the thursday it got pulled. its great. haven't had one problem with it. all the camera functions work, can view its galleries, transfer sd card data, listen to the data, its great. this is a machine. so fast. so smooth. i love this update its amazing!

cmilkosk

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I received the update on Wednesday and have been having performance, app crashes, and lockups ever since. I have tried a power down/power up and it didn't change anything. Haptic feedback sometimes comes out of nowhere (although it seems to precede a crash). Sometimes the touchscreen doesn't respond.

I haven't even had time to experience the SD card issues or whatever else because the slowdown and lockups are driving me nuts.

I wish I didn't have to do the factory reset, but at this rate I'm going to have to to make it a usable phone again. Blech.

Chris

slida11

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
manual update issues

Hello this is my first post so I hope I am not doing this wrong..... I have checked for an answer in many threads. Basically I am rooted using the the one click method given on this site. I have stock eclair with no custom roms or kernels. I have DI18 and clock work 2.5.1. Now my problem is when I access recovery mode and start the apply:update.zip file I get error message 7, and it says assert failed and I also see something about asphault folder not sure.....PLEASE HELP!!!!!:(

bigtimeweb

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Hello this is my first post so I hope I am not doing this wrong..... I have checked for an answer in many threads. Basically I am rooted using the the one click method given on this site. I have stock eclair with no custom roms or kernels. I have DI18 and clock work 2.5.1. Now my problem is when I access recovery mode and start the apply:update.zip file I get error message 7, and it says assert failed and I also see something about asphault folder not sure.....PLEASE HELP!!!!!:(

Im stock so cant specifically help with details, but this very thread you are posting in has this question about a thousand different ways with explanations that you cant use the update.zip if you have modified your system in any way...

It sounds to me that your Asphalt bloatware is not on your system and that is why you are getting that error. From what Ive read over the past few days you need to Odin back to stock in order to apply the update.zip, OR use the windows exe installer which wipes your phone.

I know its tedious, but if you read this thread in its entirety the answer lies within.

Reactions: slida11

snarf77

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
my thread was merged with this

my question was if its possible to use DI18s or dk28s modem in stock eb13 since it seems to have cut speeds in half everywhere i frequent

blicht10069

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I received the update on Wednesday and have been having performance, app crashes, and lockups ever since. I have tried a power down/power up and it didn't change anything. Haptic feedback sometimes comes out of nowhere (although it seems to precede a crash). Sometimes the touchscreen doesn't respond.

I haven't even had time to experience the SD card issues or whatever else because the slowdown and lockups are driving me nuts.

I wish I didn't have to do the factory reset, but at this rate I'm going to have to to make it a usable phone again. Blech.

Chris

This is EXACTLY what I have happen. It also happend when i had tried the DK28 release (from which I had to wipe my phone and start over, but in that case I opted in to taking the risk, here the fault lies with Samsung and Sprint). They did virtually no testing, and they didn't fix the worst issues with the DK28 release -- that it doesn't work in a number of cases. Fire the software development departpartment and start over. Only viable option.

bgamb24

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
HELP! Upgrade epic from dk28 to new 2.2 using a mac

I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere, but after a long search I still cannot find a solution for upgrading my epic from DK28 to the new 2.2 release using a MAC....PLEASE HELP

bigtimeweb

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
the mac release was the update.zip, and you need to revert back to stock with all bloatware installed to apply it.

Put it in root of SD

boot holding vol down and camera button

use volume down to select then press home to apply.

I dont think Ive read of any mac users being able to update from a rooted phone. I think everyone that was able to do it was using the win .exe update file that wipes your phone.

There is definitely conversation of it in this thread:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/spr...ficial-froyo-eb13-official-update-pulled.html

Reactions: dtm_stretch

judoka209

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I know this is a complete newb question, but I was wondering if someone could hyperlink my ass to the right direction.

I just bought a Samsung Epic 4G off of someone else. Although I've never rooted any of my Android phones, I have a general idea of what it means. I used to have a Pre and tinkered with Preware/Homebrew and what have you.

So I'm assuming my phone is rooted because the phone is running FROYO.DK28 and this phone is supposed to be on Eclair still right? So my thing is, I've no idea how to root/unroot. And since the (hopefully) soon to be released official Froyo update is put back up by Sprint/Samsung, I'd like to be able to update along with everyone else. Any help is appreciated.

p.s. This Froyo build seems to work good so far with the exception of the GPS. I can't seem to get a lock. In Google Navigation, for example, it infinitely tries to search for GPS but no dice. Also, the GPS icon at the top continuously blinks with a picture of a satellite and then a satellite with signal bars. Not sure if its supposed to do that but anytime the GPS is trying to find a location it happens. Either way the GPS seems jacked.

I forgot to mention, please note that I'm running Mac OS X Leopard. So no Windows friendly solutions for me.

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I know this is a complete newb question, but I was wondering if someone could hyperlink my ass to the right direction.

I just bought a Samsung Epic 4G off of someone else. Although I've never rooted any of my Android phones, I have a general idea of what it means. I used to have a Pre and tinkered with Preware/Homebrew and what have you.

So I'm assuming my phone is rooted because the phone is running FROYO.DK28 and this phone is supposed to be on Eclair still right? So my thing is, I've no idea how to root/unroot. And since the (hopefully) soon to be released official Froyo update is put back up by Sprint/Samsung, I'd like to be able to update along with everyone else. Any help is appreciated.

p.s. This Froyo build seems to work good so far with the exception of the GPS. I can't seem to get a lock. In Google Navigation, for example, it infinitely tries to search for GPS but no dice. Also, the GPS icon at the top continuously blinks with a picture of a satellite and then a satellite with signal bars. Not sure if its supposed to do that but anytime the GPS is trying to find a location it happens. Either way the GPS seems jacked.

I forgot to mention, please note that I'm running Mac OS X Leopard. So no Windows friendly solutions for me.

[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

Look for the procedure OSX, Linux and Alternative Windows Method for Eclair once you use this procedure you can then use the "update.zip" method found in the first post of this thread to update to official EB13 Froyo which is the Mac method.

Also I'm not positive but I think on Mac if you use Bootcamp that will give you more options to use the Windows methods. Our moderator Ragnarokx is also on Mac so he could further answer any questions.

Reactions: judoka209

almazan0637

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I just wanted to know, should I have received the update for my Epic OTA already, I have not received anything. I thought everyone should have received it by 2/25, well I am tired of waiting and I am not to familiar with the manual updates, can someone help me with the manual update?

scheets973

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
almazan i have not received it either. I believe it has been pulled to work out the kinks. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I believe I am not so we'll be ok =)

whatev

Nov 3, 2010
twitter.com
I just wanted to know, should I have received the update for my Epic OTA already, I have not received anything. I thought everyone should have received it by 2/25, well I am tired of waiting and I am not to familiar with the manual updates, can someone help me with the manual update?

The first post in this thread should have pretty detailed instructions on how to manually update. I had no issues.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
See below

almazan i have not received it either. I believe it has been pulled to work out the kinks. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I believe I am not so we'll be ok =)
As explained in the first post of this thread the update was pulled OTA by Sammy/Sprint for problems. You can still use the manual update method(s) provided, those methods are still active.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
its kind of interesting that you can still go to samsung.com and download EB13 still. It still works.
Yes it is.. The problems surrounding the upgrade can be overcome with very little effort but Samsung and Sprint decided it wasn't fair to their customers to go threw such measures to fix something that shouldn't of happened in the first place. So I guess we owe them a thanks on that part for pulling the OTA update until they fix the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2