Four Ways to Fix GPS Problems in Froyo

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
*** I will try and get this updated in the next day or two for Froyo EB13 we have used Procedure #3 and #4 on Froyo EB13 ***

Many of us have a working GPS with Froyo, but if your GPS is not working after flashing Froyo, here are four procedures you can try. Note that this does not guarantee that your GPS will work even after you perform one or all these procedures, but it is something to try if you really need GPS working.

Procedure 1 - requires the use of Odin & requires root access
Taken from this post on XDA:
Flash Eclair DI18 using Odin
Go into Google Maps and get a GPS lock
Flash the DK28 modem using Odin, then boot up
Install ClockworkMod Recovery
Flash the DK28 ROM
Your GPS should now work

Procedure 2 - does not require Odin & requires root access
"Fixed it. It was a pain, but overall not that bad. As a refresher, I was originally 2.1 rooted stock, downloaded 2.2.1 directly from Google's server WITHOUT getting a GPS lock first in Eclair, and then completely lost GPS (no satellites even detected). I was peeved since everything else was working great, no force closes, very fast, just completely busted GPS.

This is what I did. First since I lost root I had to get it back and get clockwork mod recovery for DK28 Froyo (one.click.root.exploitv2.5.2.zip):
One Click Root & Recovery for the Epic 4G! v2.5.2 Now has ClockworkMod Redirector! - xda-developers

Did this on a Mac just fine. Then, I downloaded a full stock DI18 Eclair rom (stock.epic.DI18.rom.update.zip):
[Flashable .ZIP] Users WHO DO NOT WANT TO USE ODIN to return to stock DI18 for 2.2.1 - xda-developers

Since I REALLY didn't want to lose my applications, settings & data, especially since everything ELSE was working swimmingly in Froyo, once I booted into clockwork I made a backup. Then I pointed to the above DI18 zip and went back to 2.1. I did not touch ANY modem files during any of this, just flashed and proceeded. There were tons of FCs, my homescreens were completely messed up, etc, but that didn't matter. I immediately fired up GPS Status and got a lock relatively quickly. I immediately rebooted into clockwork recovery again and upgraded again to DK28 Froyo using the same zip from earlier. When everything came back (homescreens still messed up, etc) I fired up GPS Status and got a lock quickly (and close, within 2 meters). Finally, rebooted back into clockwork, restored from my previous working 2.2.1 (other than GPS) backup and rebooted. Everything looked correct, no crashes all day still, all settings & data and apps present, and most importantly, GPS still locks on fast and accurate.

Two things of note. I did NOT wipe/clean cache or anything, just a backup, flash DI18, GPS lock, flash DK28, GPS lock, restore. What exactly are these wipe and clear cache settings doing? Should I go back into clockwork and do them? I'm thinking not since everything has been working perfect all day, but I'd like more details. Second thing, this doesn't make any sense. Being that I restored the backup I took while GPS was busted, I honestly thought I'd just restored bad GPS settings, but that was not the case as GPS works FAR better now. What in the world is going on? Why does this work not just for me, but for so many other people? Puzzled.

To recap, using clockwork on 2.2.1 I backed up, flashed DI18, GPS locked, flashed DK28, GPS locked, restored. I hope this info helps someone!"

Procedure 3 - no flashing method & no root access required

"I was able to fix my GPS by downloading GPS Status from the market and reseting my A-GPS Data.
No flashing, no odin, no problem
Been using this rom for a few days now and have been very happy with it."

Procedure 4 - newest and possibly best method
By NYCSUBWAYRAT, taken from this post:

Fixing the GPS no fix issue on the Samsung Epic 4g requires you to do a manufacturer's reset by obtaining the MSL code from Sprint (see below for alternative method to obtain your MSL code). Once you get the MSL Code, remove the SD Card and Enter ##786# on the dialer keypad. You will see two options: View and Reset. Tap on the Reset option and you will get a prompt to enter the MSL code. At this point you will be asked if you want to do a manufacter's reset, enter yes. The phone will shut down and reset itself after a few seconds. Once the process is complete, the phone will go through a hands free activation. After the activation process, updates may be downloaded and installed. Now that all updates have been performed, you may check to see if your GPS is working by going to Google Maps. You should be able to lock in GPS signal in under 10 seconds. Thats it. Your GPS woes are over.

jrick has a method to get your MSL code without calling Sprint:
You can get MSL code without calling Sprint using ConnectBot (from Market)
Run ConnectBot, in dropdown menu in lower left corner select Local
Type in any name in the nickname box
Type getprop then hit enter
scroll up in the results (ril.MSL) is the MSL code

Brandon4EK has a solution if your phone won't activate and has tons of force closes after attempting Procedure 4:
Pop your SD card in, wait for EVERYTHING to restore properly, then turn off and on your phone. Activation went through after that (as opposed to a reset without the SD card and gmail sync).

See ShIzNiTs post for more info on the reset that is performed with this method.

Last edited:

Sheyi#AC

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Method 4 worked for me. Very easy.

Great stuff, thanks! I recommend that anyone using Method 4, which worked perfectly for me, check out the linked post from Shiznit. Very helpful.

[FONT=&quot]Procedure 4 - newest and possibly best method[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]By NYCSUBWAYRAT, taken from this post:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Fixing the GPS no fix issue on the Samsung Epic 4g requires you to do a manufacturer's reset by obtaining the MSL code from Sprint (see below for alternative method to obtain your MSL code). Once you get the MSL Code, remove the SD Card and Enter ##786# on the dialer keypad. You will see two options: View and Reset. Tap on the Reset option and you will get a prompt to enter the MSL code. At this point you will be asked if you want to do a manufacter's reset, enter yes. The phone will shut down and reset itself after a few seconds. Once the process is complete, the phone will go through a hands free activation. After the activation process, updates may be downloaded and installed. Now that all updates have been performed, you may check to see if your GPS is working by going to Google Maps. You should be able to lock in GPS signal in under 10 seconds. Thats it. Your GPS woes are over.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]jrick has a method to get your MSL code without calling Sprint:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You can get MSL code without calling Sprint using ConnectBot (from Market)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Run ConnectBot, in dropdown menu in lower left corner select Local[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Type in any name in the nickname box[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Type getprop then hit enter[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]scroll up in the results (ril.MSL) is the MSL code[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]See ShIzNiTs post for more info on the reset that is performed with this method.[/FONT]

bender29

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
wiped and flashed using the .exe windows installer. Everything seemed to work great except for GPS. Couldn't get any satellites to show up.

I tried method 3 first, since that seemed the quickest to verify, and it worked instantly - GPS satellites showed up and fix acquired within a few seconds.

I'll have to see if this holds up - I dealt enough with GPS getting glitchy after a few days on DI18

TheMissle

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Need solution for GPS fix on rooted Epic 4G with 2.2

I have been spending time searching the internet for suggestions on how to fix a problem with my GPS not working on my Epic 4G ever since I updated to 2.2 and rooted my phone with the "one-click method". I primarily did so because I learned that was the only way to use the WiFi Tether for free (sprint otherwise charges $30/month to use your phone as a mobile WiFi hotspot... lame). Aside from simply being rooted and updating to 2.2, I haven't tweaked anything on my phone or loaded any ROMs and it still has all the stock stuff that came on it.

I've seen a few solutions that I could try, but my issue is that almost all of them involve using Odin, or they are otherwise seemingly very detailed/complex processes if I don't use Odin. It was suggested to use Odin to UNroot the phone, but I'd like to keep it rooted and still have a working GPS if possible. The problem is that I don't know anything about Odin, let alone knowing how/where to acquire it (people have posted links but none of them seem to work) or how to use it once I do acquire it. Since I'm inexperienced with this stuff, I'm scared of messing something up and bricking my phone, as I've seen many people said they've done.

Please help the admittedly lame and inexperienced! I'd like to learn what the heck I'm doing. :) If you feel so inclined to help, please be sure to be detailed and explain thoroughly. Much appreciation!

JMusic

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Download GPS Status from the market. Chances are just running it will fix you problem, but "menu -> tools -> manage A-GPS state -> reset" will probably fix you up if just opening it doesn't.

Tip, go outside for the first lock, or at least stand by a window. The GPS antenna in the Epic isn't the greatest, so give that first lock on the best possible opportunity to work right. After that it will work better indoors. Still not great, but better.

TheMissle

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion JMusic, but unfortunately that did not seem to fix the problem. At first, I thought it helped because I did what you said and then opened Google Navigation and it SORT of caught my location--meaning that it showed me as a blip on the map in the general area I was actually in; however, not only did it have that big blue sphere around the blip that encompassed about a mile radius, but the origin of the blip was showing me as about half a mile away from where I actually was. Is this normal for the Epic? I can't tell if the GPS was actually communicating with satellite to give a "best guess" as to where I was, or if it was perhaps using my data connection to give my general location (is that even possible without WiFi? I don't know).

To put it to the test though, I tried getting driving directions using both Google Navigation and then Sprint Telenav Navigation app, and neither one could peg my exact location. In the Sprint Telenav, it didn't even load directions at all because it couldn't find the GPS signal. In Google Nav it showed the general area I was in (although off by almost a mile) and again it had that blue sphere around the blip that encompassed a mile radius, yet it said "searching for GPS" at the bottom of the screen.

I see that my post got linked with some earlier threads addressing this issue, so I will try one of the other suggestions listed. I do use my Nav frequently so I hope one of them works...

TheMissle

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
It worked!

I tried the #4 procedure from the earlier thread and it worked! I had taken it to the Sprint store the other day and they did a "hard reset" (not sure exactly what process the guy used to do it) and it didn't help so I was a little skeptical. I thought I'd end up having to unroot and would lose the 2.2 / Froyo DK28 updates I have and all that, but I still have 'em, phone is still rooted, and my GPS seems to be working fine now. I backed up all my apps & data to the SD card, so now I just have to figure out an easy way to get all of that back into place. :) thanks!!!

CypressJohn

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
EXTERNAL Bluetooth GPS TOMTOM

And if you want flawless GPS navigation, another way to fix your GPS is to get an external Bluetooth GPS Receiver - I picked up a brand new TomTom Wireless MK 2 for 99cents plus $6 shipping on ebay.

Purchased a cable (4mm plug) to USB so I could charge it in various ways convenient to me for another $10. This is what is used for PSP 2s, so you can get it at Gamestop or online. The TomTom is 5v so this works perfect.

Used an Android Market app called Bluetooth GPS to enable the phone to communicate via bluetooth with the tomtom.

Have to turn on the receiver, start the app, then press one or two softkeys - so its slightly cumbersome to set up vs just the phone's gps turn-on, but if you really don't want to risk losing GPS lock on your way to an important meeting, THIS WORKS FANTASTIC. (And you can still use the easy internal GPS if you mostly know where you're going.)

Used on my D700 - Sprint Galaxy S EPIC with sliding keyboard & Gingerbread EL30, and its perfect for me. And I can still use the car bluetooth speaker phone.

I tried the hacks to improve the satellite hook ups - which worked great, but that messed up the last Android upgrade and required a bunch of effort to correct. With this, I am not worried about bricking my phone.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol