don't like the new froyo messaging app

asherdasher114

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I manually updated with the .zip file. I like everything so far (in the whole 30 minutes I've been able to use it), but I don't like the messaging. I hate bubbles! I had handcent on 2.1 and it was able to run 'over' the stock app, so when I opened msging from the stock widget, handcent would open. Now it only runs in addition to it. I've turned off the notifications for the stock app, but they still appear on the stock messaging widget. I've set handcent as the default as well. Anyone know how to fix this?

big_bake

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
applications>menu>edit

you can drag the stock messaging app off the home bar and bring the handcent icon down to where the stock one was. This is where i put GoSMS and it's working for me. Now if I can just get all the contact pics to show up...

gyoung345

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I manually updated with the .zip file. I like everything so far (in the whole 30 minutes I've been able to use it), but I don't like the messaging. I hate bubbles! I had handcent on 2.1 and it was able to run 'over' the stock app, so when I opened msging from the stock widget, handcent would open. Now it only runs in addition to it. I've turned off the notifications for the stock app, but they still appear on the stock messaging widget. I've set handcent as the default as well. Anyone know how to fix this?
Yes, remove the stock messaging widget from the TouchWiz dock.

This is new in this version.

1. Tap the applications widget in the dock.
2. Tap the menu button.
3. Tap and hold the Messaging widget in the dock
4. Drag it out of the dock
5. Replace it with Handcent by tapping and holding Handcent's application widget and drag it to the dock.

This is new in TouchWiz 3.0. We couldn't do this in Eclair.

Ahh beat me to it! I'll leave the step by step in case it is needed later.

Reactions: anon(360619)

robomav

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
SMS App

I know there is an apps forum but I want the opinion of the Epic crowd. I manually updated my phone today to Froyo and the new SMS bubbles are awful looking.

What does everyone use/recommend for a SMS app? Thank you for your help.

jaclynnb9

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Try Handcent

My favorite, hands down, is from Handcent. It's free and has tons of great features. You can customize everything to your liking or use one of their themes, which are very nice. Also, they have greeting cards, cute emojis, and much more. Try it, it's been a huge hit with everyone I have recommended it to, enjoy! :)

Reactions: robomav

snarf77

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
the only reason why I dont use handcent is because the keyboard disappears after hitting send. something that doesnt happen with chompsms

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I know there is an apps forum but I want the opinion of the Epic crowd. I manually updated my phone today to Froyo and the new SMS bubbles are awful looking.

What does everyone use/recommend for a SMS app? Thank you for your help.

I agree with you 100%. I am 50 years old and feel like I shouldn't have to look at a cartoonish looking bubble on my phone. I loved the old apps clean interface.

Sent from my Epic using Tapatalk

big_bake

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I went with GoSMS (free and fast). The stock one was horrible with the bubble style and it took forever to go from a thread back to inbox. My contact pictures wouldn't show up either.

GoSMS has a list style theme that is dark and similar to the stock 2.1 app. not exactly the same, but has the same feeling. Fonts, font size, and colors are all customizable, but I left mine stock and I'm fine with it. AND my contact pictures show up.

Thanks to TW 3.0 you can change your home dock icons. I dragged the stock messaging app out and put the GoSMS icon in it's place.

bigtimeweb

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
New SMS interface

I'm not a fan at ALL! :-\

If you are in the same boat, I just wanted to share a free Market find called GOsms. Download the Dark theme it looks almost like 2.1 stock but completely customizable. If you are a fan of bubble chat you have that option as well.

App is a beast. Has security & black list support, customizable notifications (groupable), widget, popups, customizable themes, auto resend of failed messages, themes etc... Blows every other sms app I've tried out of the water, and takes less resources than handcent and chomp

They just released in December and have an active (very long) support thread on XDA which they are incredibly responsive to, adding new features and suggestions regularly.

[APP] GO Sms v1.98 released - Page 151 - xda-developers

Hope this helps someone else that is also disappointed with new messaging interface as well.