After Froyo update, Sprint replacing my Epic

oregonbruin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
After the Froyo update, I've had numerous bugs and issues from the phone becoming unresponsive after waking up to Bluetooth problems galore, external speaker not working after pulling out headphones and the camera force closing when trying to use the "Sports" scene in the settings. I have tried reading the posts covering these issues but nothing has worked. I finally decided to give Sprint a call and after a tech verified these issues (and several more I didn't list), they decided to replace the phone.

I was surprised but if that solves these issues, I am happy. I have never had this many problems after an update but I know it happens. I was wondering if anyone else is getting a replacement due to the update bugs. The customer service rep told me the update has been hit and miss with regard to problems.

Reactions: Addie_Goodvibes

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thats funny... I was just at Sprint today for another family members phone repair.

1. The repair tech wasn't even aware Epic had gotten official Froyo
2. They solve anything non hardware related by wiping the phone... LOL !

That is really sad....

oregonbruin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Isn't it almost a given that it will be a refurb? I didn't clarify because I am expecting it to be. As long as it works normally, then I will live with it. I am a bit curious if it will already be updated to Froyo.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
When I opened this thread and read the OP's problems, I said to myself, "my phone is working GREAT!! Let me check MY camera and see if the sports setting works for me. It forced closed on me as well, lol!! Anyone else have this problem and/or know of a fix??

cabrone

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Thats funny... I was just at Sprint today for another family members phone repair.

That is really sad....

The people at most phone carriers are total buffoons. They know very little about individual devices and simply force the newest one onto the customer. I wasted doubtless hours on the phone with techs and even in the store when my gfs epic was behind on the build. They would totally ignore everything I said and just say Froyo is not out yet. Bunch of ill informed people is all.

BoloPrime

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Probably not the right thread for this, since the general 'bugs' are covered in other AC forums, but this one worked well for the force closes, clock app, camera and gallery:
1. Copy the contents of your sd card off to your computer.
2. Unmount and format your sd card in your phone. (Settings -> sd card and storage)
3. Power the phone down and boot into recovery mode (hold volume down + camera + power until the samsung screen comes up and the charging led turns on)
4. In recovery, look for the 'format cache partition' option and execute it. (I wish I could tell you exactly what the title is but my phone is running ClockworkMod which is a touch different).
5. Boot back up, and copy over all your files from your 'puter to your sd card. There will be 4 directories already on the sd card, do not overwrite them with the previous folders.
6. Copy the /DCIM/Camera directory from your puter to the /sdcard/DCIM directory... this will save all your photos back to yer Epic.

Done deal, should fix about 99% of your problems.

oregonbruin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tip but I had already tried the remedy with the SD card and it didn't work to fix my problems, unfortunately. I forgot to put that in my initial post.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I wanted to chime in here.. Thanks for OP for bringing this up early, because most of users on here most likely would not have discovered this until later.
It is important to identify bugs in the early stages of a new software upgrade.

I opened my camera and selected Action Shot (which I am assuming most in this thread are referring to it as "sports mode"

My Action Shot worked without force close.

So it appears as though this is an EB13 Froyo bug that is not present in the DK28 version?

Is anyone here having this problem with the DK28 Froyo?

seand26

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

That is really sad....
LOL indeed it is. I am still in communication with Sprint Corp about the replacement of my wife's Palm Pre. Through this ordeal I've noticed the very same thing about statement #2 above.

To the thread started, congrats on the replacement.

jaclynnb9

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to chime in here.. Thanks for OP for bringing this up early, because most of users on here most likely would not have discovered this until later.
It is important to identify bugs in the early stages of a new software upgrade.

I opened my camera and selected Action Shot (which I am assuming most in this thread are referring to it as "sports mode"

My Action Shot worked without force close.

So it appears as though this is an EB13 Froyo bug that is not present in the DK28 version?

Is anyone here having this problem with the DK28 Froyo?
Actually, it's not a problem with "Action Shot". Go to your "Scene Mode" in the tools section of your camera and select "Sports". Mine blacks out, vibratesa couple times, and then I have to pull the battery to get my screen back.
I never use the "Sports" mode, so I could deal with it but, for the money paid, I shouldn't have to, should I?

robomav

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
i would never use it so it is not important that it does not work. but i agree for technology and money it should work 100%

blautens

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Actually, it's not a problem with "Action Shot". Go to your "Scene Mode" in the tools section of your camera and select "Sports". Mine blacks out, vibratesa couple times, and then I have to pull the battery to get my screen back.
I never use the "Sports" mode, so I could deal with it but, for the money paid, I shouldn't have to, should I?

Same thing here - choose Sports mode and the Camera app force closed, and screen goes black -I had to pull the battery. I upgraded via update.zip download, not OTA.

Other than that (which is clearly a bug that should have been seen in test), I've been really happy with Froyo - hasn't locked up, faster, better GPS lock, SMS GUI, etc...

ArcherBrianJames

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Isn't it almost a given that it will be a refurb? I didn't clarify because I am expecting it to be. As long as it works normally, then I will live with it. I am a bit curious if it will already be updated to Froyo.

It will be 2.1.1. I just got mine replaced yesterday and, yes its a refurb but works just fine (actually better cause the screen is tighter). I'm pretty sure I'm just going to root my new one and put on a ROM that works 10X better than anything Samsung will do to counteract this nonsense.

oregonbruin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I received my replacement Epic in less than 24 hours, which I didn't expect considering the time I got off the phone with customer service and then the distance the phone had to travel.

The replacement is a refurb running 2.1. Before I activated it, I decided to run the Froyo update (from Samsung's site) and it updated normally. The camera "Sports" scene force close bug is still present. Bluetooth features appear to work normally. I had trouble getting my WiFi to stick but I think it is fine now. GPS is fantastic both in lock times and distance. When I use the browser or anything using data, the first attempt almost always results in the phone timing out but a second try almost always works. This is the case with both WiFi and Sprint's network.

Overall, there are not as many issues but now I am waiting to see what Sprint comes up with for a fix, and hopefully a resolution(s)! :0)

mcp6530

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
When I opened this thread and read the OP's problems, I said to myself, "my phone is working GREAT!! Let me check MY camera and see if the sports setting works for me. It forced closed on me as well, lol!! Anyone else have this problem and/or know of a fix??

Same thing with mine - when i switch to sports (not action) it force closes - sweet! why does it look like gps turns on when i turn on my camera? there is a little satellite thing on the screen when i turn on my camera now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1