Updated camera firmware on froyo eb13

Majesty9917

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
So, I have been very disappointed with the camera quality since updating to eb13. I am constantly checking here, as well as on my phone updates areas in hopes of some fixes. Been getting an error message whenever trying to update the cameras firmware, until just a little while ago. I cliked on check version and it said update to new version. I then clicked update firmware and it brought me to some samsung site or area and asked me if I wanted to download the lastest update. I'm really sorry that I didn't take note of the actual name. All I can say is it was .58 mb, had a z in the name and the description called refererence to thbe name change now including the z and finally the date stamp was in october of 2010. Anyone know anything about this? I have checked the camera and it seems to be marginally better in regards to the low light issue with ghosting.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I was able to download a firmware update as well going through the camera app. Can someone try it and record the web address it pulls from, I think I need to download it again but now it's not finding it.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I was able to download a firmware update as well going through the camera app. Can someone try it and record the web address it pulls from, I think I need to download it again but now it's not finding it.

It is my understanding that this camera firmware update really does nothing. The Sport Mode, Camcorder low lite issue is a kernel to driver mismatch that Samsung accidentally made to the code. One of the smart XDA folks found this out and posted a fix on the XDA forums if you wish to try it. You can do it without rooting, however, if you wish to eventually get the OTA fix if and when it is ever released, you will have to revert back to stock Froyo (which they explain how to do). I plan to wait a while until it becomes evident that Sprint is never going to fix it, then I may do the fix at that point.

Reactions: Majesty9917

antmon1

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
has anyone been able to download the firmware update, that has the updated xda camera kernel fix?

does it update? does it overwrite the kernel back to the crappy version that came out with 2.2?

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
No the XDA fix is a fix you must go thru certain steps to apply. It does not involve using the existing camera settings to update firmware. You have to download a couple of files, Odin being one of them, and then manually updating or flashing the fix to your phone. You do this from a PC with your phone hooked up via USB.

antmon1

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
yah, i got that....i already applied the xda camera fix...

was asking what happens if i try to update the firmware now? i don't even want to attempt to see if the update exists...lol

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
So if Samsung just so happens to release a fix for the bugs on this phone (some time this year hopefully!) and you have the XDA patch fix for the camera, you would have to uninstall the XDA patch in order to apply Samsung's fix?!?!

bigtimeweb

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I dont know, Groove, cause it didnt change the kern. rev number - seems to be an invisible patch honestly that just fixed a couple lines of code. My theory is that it would be just fine it everything else was stock.

Majesty9917

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to add something that I just noticed. I sorted my apps alphabetically and the firmware update shows up next to my camera app. When I select it I get a message saying that the version is current. Not sure why a firmware update would be in the apps list???

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to add something that I just noticed. I sorted my apps alphabetically and the firmware update shows up next to my camera app. When I select it I get a message saying that the version is current. Not sure why a firmware update would be in the apps list???
That's why I was hoping to get a link to the file. I uninstalled that camera icon.

Did the update fix anything? Guess I will have to do the kernel fix.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke