is there a TWS / airplane mod toggle permanent fix yet?

jerseykat1

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Just like the title says, i am wondering has anyone found a permanent fix for the time without service problem that drains the battery?

maybe an app workaround?

Jinded

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I don't think there is any battery drain. I've done some tests on my own (just letting the phone sit idle for 3 hours with and without the fix) and the TWS didn't actually affect the battery life at all.

jerseykat1

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I don't think there is any battery drain. I've done some tests on my own (just letting the phone sit idle for 3 hours with and without the fix) and the TWS didn't actually affect the battery life at all.

it wont let your phone go into sleep mode which kills the battery. My tests show that it has a significant effect on battery life.

Do you know what the fix is?

DFroelich

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I notice fast battery drain when I open Battery Use and see Cell Standy/TWS pegged at 50%. I have just gotten into the habit of toggling plane mode on/off a couple times a day. It used to be annoying, but now it has just fallen into the neurotic/subconscious parts of my brain.

9KRacing

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
In EB13 it still shows 50% TWS, but there is no effect on battery. Check your actual time spent without service, it will be double the amount of time since unplug. It has been tested many times over at XDA.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
TWS bug has been around even back in Eclair days... I don't think this will ever really be resolved.

narf

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I suspect the battery drain from the TWS bug depends on how much you are in a low signal strength area. I know that if I'm home (typically about 1-2 bars) and I don't toggle airplane mode by battery will go dead in 8 to 10 hours. If I toggle it I get a full day. (unless I play Angry Birds, then I'll have a dead battery for sure!)

My theory is that TWS extends the time the radio scans when it cant find a signal. If you always have 5 bars your phone never scans, and the effect is minimal.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I can't believe that this isn't fixed in eb13 and if it's not fixed in the next version I will def not be buying any mpre products with Samsung software on it.

I believe I've already made up my mind for the nexus. Pure Google software. That will be my next phone. F Samsung. They are the worst. I can't even. At this point I'd rather have an iPhone and that's saying something.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
BlackHawkA4, LOL! Easy now there are a lot worse things out there than Sammy and the Epic 4g.

Jinded

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe that this isn't fixed in eb13 and if it's not fixed in the next version I will def not be buying any mpre products with Samsung software on it.

I believe I've already made up my mind for the nexus. Pure Google software. That will be my next phone. F Samsung. They are the worst. I can't even. At this point I'd rather have an iPhone and that's saying something.

Just gotta point this out for humor's sake: The Nexus S is made by Samsung.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes I knows this. Lol.

Do I support samsungs hardware. Yes. Do I support their software. No.

Us knowing what we know about this phone it's annoying... what about someone who doesn't. I would have returnsled the phone if I didn't know anything about phones. Or id be sitting somewhere with 15 spare batteries thinking 3 hours standby time is just how phones are today. Lol.

I mean come on. at least get the basic phone hardware down in your software. Its what the phone is made to do. If it can't do that what are you doing.

You wouldn't buy a car that had something wrong with the pcm software causing the o2 sensor to read wrong cause the car to run rich cause you to get 5mpg instead of 20 would you?

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Let alone call that acceptable not expecting the car manufactor to fix it...

Toyota... your brakes don't work? That is an issue. However due to the complexity of the special designed master cylinder we will have to take 6 months to come up with your fix. There you go. O wait. Sorry. Were pulling that fix.

Without the airplane toggle I experience dropped calls. Hello 911. Yes. I'm being chases by a man with an axe. I'm on 5th and (dropped call). Whoops forgot to make the cell radio function properly on your phones guys.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I think it all comes down to once again Google giving device makers the freedom to add their own UI's on top of the standard Android UI. Example, TouchWiz.. You dump Touchwiz completely you basically have pure Google, ala Nexus... HTC, they have Sense... I like the freedom device makers have but lets face it sometime those overlaying UI's have big effect on the overall performance of a device. Not to mention then you throw in a carrier's own personalized apps and before long Android is far from the Android that left Google's stovetop when they were done cooking it...

In a sense, to many "cooks" spoil the dinner....

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I think it all comes down to once again Google giving device makers the freedom to add their own UI's on top of the standard Android UI. Example, TouchWiz.. You dump Touchwiz completely you basically have pure Google, ala Nexus... HTC, they have Sense... I like the freedom device makers have but lets face it sometime those overlaying UI's have big effect on the overall performance of a device.

Yes. I could dump tw right now and have a pure Google ui. That doesn't fix my cell, and Bluetooth issues.

Nor will it stop my fc of every app including all native apps.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes. I could dump tw right now and have a pure Google ui. That doesn't fix my cell, and Bluetooth issues.

Nor will it stop my fc of every app including all native apps.

I understand your frustrations BlackHawk but I have to say even when I did run stock "leaked" Froyo DK28 or Froyo EB13, I had a few issues but not to the point of FC's on apps... Now that I run rooted and ROMs I have to say at least with my ACE ROM it is pretty darn stable. My only issue really with ACE is bluetooth voice dialing doesn't function. Otherwise it is honestly a very stable running ROM and I have a thread full of users that have been shocked by how well custom runs over stock..

But again, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and is entitled to express them because you paid your money to get something that is supposed to functioned properly.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I have tried a few roms and ran them for several days. They were all dk28 builds. Besides for the ext4 conversion prior to installing those roms I've been dissapointed. I have yet to try ace. I'm frankly just worn out from flashing, rooting, flashing, rooting.

My final opinion: if Samsung could just get the basic phone functions down, ie network, Bluetooth, etc... any other software issues could be forgiven because no os is perfect. But as a phone your basic phone functions should work.

If I deleted all my launchers and data and just ran the phone... I would have a phone with terrible Bluetooth connection and a horrible cell connection with every call being dropped.

jerseykat1

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Just gotta point this out for humor's sake: The Nexus S is made by Samsung.

You beat me to it.

but i do understand where he is coming from. It's disrespectful of samsung to put a "high end" smart phone out with so many bugs, then neglect to fix the bugs with the updates.

jerseykat1

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
i think i am through with roms for now. i had sindicate frozen installed and while it ran great for 2 days, this morning when i tried to use wifi tether it kept rebooting then after about 4 reboots i was geeting FC's on everything at startup making the phone totally unusable. luckly i had a fully configured nandroid backup on my sd card of the stock EB13 rooted and ext4. This set up seems to be most reliable for me and only a tab bit slower than sindicate frozen.

To the guy that pointed out that the TWS bug does not effect battery life on EB13 i cant deny or confirm that. I have yet to do my own tests on this using EB13 i will definitely give it a test this weekend. I have been playing with the phone excessively ever since EB13 came out so it's hard for me to judge battery life. I just automatically assumed it was still a factor (yes i know what happens when you assume) in battery life.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
@jerseykat1, Wireless Tethering works great on ACE.. Not trying to toot my horn, just pointing out something if your looking for good wireless tethering.. I had my laptop tethered last night and downloaded 2 or 3, 100mb plus programs on my laptop using it...

jerseykat1

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
@jerseykat1, Wireless Tethering works great on ACE.. Not trying to toot my horn, just pointing out something if your looking for good wireless tethering.. I had my laptop tethered last night and downloaded 2 or 3, 100mb plus programs on my laptop using it...

I will give it a try over the weekend.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie