Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Epic 4g compared to Thunderbolt

I really want this phone but i can't justify it for myself just because the thunderbolt just came out and it's on verizon (much better than sprint where i live). Plus, i feel like i have to get that unlimited data plan from verizon and if sprint moves to LTE i won't have any hope of 4g coverage. So, how much better is the thunderbolt. I know there is a thread on XDA but all i really got from that was tb's processor beats epic and epic has a powerful gpu. How much of a difference is the processor and how does the (poor?) battery life compare?

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts

I have the Epic, GF has the thunderbolt. Its a nice phone, not seeing a difference in speed or anything. Had to download a version of Evo swype for it because it did not come with it. Screen looks bland compared to the epic but thats nothing new. I would wait for more of an upgrade, like a duel core if you are going to change carriers.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

i'm on at&t right now with a samsung mythic so anything is really a step up and i was hoping to find something soon

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts

My bad I only half read your post. Alot of talk about the battery life on the Thunderbolt, but its been out for a day, people have been playing with them constantly how are you going to get an accurate idea of battery life? Based on my limited time playing with her TB, the battery life will be close for the 2. TB screen is bigger, but Epics is a bit better but its hardly a huge difference. I think both phones compare pretty well but if your having connection problems where you are, you might want to wait for the Motorola Bionic to come out for Verizon. That phone should be a good step up from both.

Quote Originally Posted by richhh View Post
    I really want this phone but i can't justify it for myself just because the thunderbolt just came out and it's on verizon (much better than sprint where i live). Plus, i feel like i have to get that unlimited data plan from verizon and if sprint moves to LTE i won't have any hope of 4g coverage. So, how much better is the thunderbolt. I know there is a thread on XDA but all i really got from that was tb's processor beats epic and epic has a powerful gpu. How much of a difference is the processor and how does the (poor?) battery life compare?
    HTC Thunderbolt

Research all your questions there.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

I would go for the Thunderbolt. The specs are nice and HTC Sense gives you a great user experience. The thunderbolt should be similar to my EVO and my EVO rocks.

Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    ROM
    Froyo DK28

One major difference ..to note based on reviews and specs i have read..is the Epics battery is 1500 mAmp vs Tbolts 1400mAmp
    Battery life takes a big hit when using 4G. There is no way to toggle between 3G and 4G.

htc-thunderbolt-
    Last edited by addie_goodvibes; 03-18-2011 at 11:09 PM.
    Please add thanks if I have helped you in anyway. I will always spread the Aloha and reciprocate.
    Samsung Epic; Froyo DK28
    Carrier Sprint since 1998
    Palm Pilot 1997 + Nokia 7650,8200, Palm Treo 700p 2005, Palm Pre June 2009, Sayonara Palm. Android Sept. 2010

The Thunderbolt does look like a nice phone. A big difference is in the area of if you want a physical keyboard or not. The Epic has one of the best physical keyboards on any phone right now. Also, with some help the XDA forum, installing a custom ROM makes the Epic 200% better. I'm in love with my Epic all over again thanks to them. I guess it really just comes down to how much you're willing to pay and the quality of the service in your area. The coverage area for Sprint's 4G is pretty tiny at the moment. Dunno about Verizon. Sprint charges an extra $10 for it's 3G (previously it was the surplus charge for 4G service but they had to change it because they were getting sued to death because not everyone paying for the 4G is in an area for it) but you get unlimited data. I have no idea about Verizon's plans with data and 4G.

ROM
    Stock

The 4G works indoors and has a much better coverage area with Verizon's LTE (due to 700mHz band vs 2300-2400 WiMax uses). The speeds have proven to be much better, too. But, it is an HTC phone with a processor that isn't as good (when you compare a galaxy s phone on EXT4 partition) and a graphics processor that is already outdated (as can be seen in the review where scrolling in the browser is choppy). Unfortunately, this isn't an easy answer, and it depends on what you care about and what you will use the phone for. I will probably wait for the Bionic (I am definitely leaving Sprint, nothing but headaches and shattered hopes), but the Thunderbolt isn't a phone I can stomach for 2 years, especially if the battery life is as bad as the early reviewers claim.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by JPhantom95 View Post
    I have no idea about Verizon's plans with data and 4G.
    No extra charge, and they are throwing in wifi tethering for 2 months (free until May 15th)

ROM
    Just Rooted, stock Rom

Your on AT&T right now right? So your best bet is the Atrix... I has the newest hardware out right now out of the choices your looking at... If you want to leave AT&T and Verizon gives you the best coverage then you should get the Thunderbolt... doesn't matter if you wait for the rumored 3D HTC phone for Sprint .. If you get crappy service there with Sprint then yoyu will not enjoy the phone & will be on here complaining about dropped calls and poor battery life LOL ... Verizon Seems to be the best bet for you if your planning to leave AT&T... imho
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Isn't there some big phone thing and a big sprint thing coming up? I can't wait for it though because the TB will go up to $300

Well all I can say is that I'm in love with my epic, 4g is really good where I'm at 5mb speeds indoor and outdoors double or more! Idk about lte but happy with my epic, would recommend to anyone

ROM
    DAS BAMF Sense 3.0 RC4.9

Default Thunderbolt is Sweet!

Got the Thunderbolt on launch day and the 4g speeds are insane--faster than my
    Roadrunner! I get consistent speed test results of 12 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up. First two days I couldn't speak to battery life as I was setting everything up but today I just did average use to see how long my battery lasted. This includes occasional Twitter and Facebook posts, surfing the web a few times throughout the day, used Navigation to drive for about a half hour, played angry birds for an hour or so and normal email usage. I still have 75% left--not bad at all. The battery is about the same as the Blackberry I just got rid of (Storm 1). I would recommend this phone to anyone!

ROM
    Marcusant v2 MTD, Samurai

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ruffolo View Post
    No extra charge, and they are throwing in wifi tethering for 2 months (free until May 15th)
    This is misleading, as a Verizon plan is typically still at least $20 more than a Sprint plan, even with Sprint's $10 "premium" charge. Also, with a rooted phone you can get free wifi tether.
    Banned

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by irtechneo View Post
    Got the Thunderbolt on launch day and the 4g speeds are insane--faster than my
    Roadrunner! I get consistent speed test results of 12 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up. First two days I couldn't speak to battery life as I was setting everything up but today I just did average use to see how long my battery lasted. This includes occasional Twitter and Facebook posts, surfing the web a few times throughout the day, used Navigation to drive for about a half hour, played angry birds for an hour or so and normal email usage. I still have 75% left--not bad at all. The battery is about the same as the Blackberry I just got rid of (Storm 1). I would recommend this phone to anyone!
    How is your upload QUICKER than your download? #'s u report are greater than the MAX Verizon says LTE offers...DONT inflate your figures
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

He's not thats just what the results from apps like speedtestdotnet get. I'm not sure if they said it was an error with 4g though but that is generally a number that people could get

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Jinded View Post
    This is misleading, as a Verizon plan is typically still at least $20 more than a Sprint plan, even with Sprint's $10 "premium" charge. Also, with a rooted phone you can get free wifi tether.
    Verizon also won't throttle your data. I'm seriously pissed about Sprint doing it to me, even after Dan Hesse's commercial aired saying that they wouldn't do it (but they did say they would start in a previous article around the time the Evo came out). Combine that and botched updates and ****-poor support, the Epic will be my last Sprint and Samsung phone. Just waiting for something with a GPU comparable or better as that is the only thing keeping me around right now.

ROM
    EH17 U. Metamorphosis 2.0

I have my epic rooted. I have free WiFi free for life not for only two months.

ROM
    EH17 U. Metamorphosis 2.0

Verizon also won't throttle your data. I'm seriously pissed about Sprint doing it to me, even after Dan Hesse's commercial aired saying that they wouldn't do it (but they did say they would start in a previous article around the time the Evo came out). Combine that and botched updates and ****-poor support, the Epic will be my last Sprint and Samsung phone. Just waiting for something with a GPU comparable or better as that is the only thing keeping me around right now.
    first off, I read an article where Verizon stated if a costumer uses a lot data they will cap his/her data. All the phone companies are after the money. If you have an Epic that it is rooted as well try to get a zip call data service killer. You can ask Paul or Rag where to get it. They will help you. I love my Epic. Also if you do not have good voice and date around your house maybe you can call Sprint and ask them for the Air wave box. This device will help you to improve you service. I have one that for free 3g is super fast ( you have to have internet). I did not pay anything. Sprint also is in the process of improving its service you can go to google and type in "Network vision Sprint" and you will get more Information. Do not spent more money ask for help.
    Good luck my friend.

Sprint doesn't throttle data. I've never had it happen to me and I use a lot of data.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    Sprint doesn't throttle data. I've never had it happen to me and I use a lot of data.
    You just don't know they are doing it if you have an Epic... cause the 1x icon is not active. I'm using a custom ROM that had it working and twice, while downloading a file it dropped to 1x and stayed there... I'm in a very good 3G/4G area (well, used to be good, 4G data has declined to less than half the speed it used to be.. max ive gotten in 4 months is 3mbps down, used to get over 7).

You just don't know they are doing it if you have an Epic... cause the 1x icon is not active. I'm using a custom ROM that had it working and twice, while downloading a file it dropped to 1x and stayed there... I'm in a very good 3G/4G area (well, used to be good, 4G data has declined to less than half the speed it used to be.. max ive gotten in 4 months is 3mbps down, used to get over 7).
    Quick question. When you got your epic how many people around you had Epic's/Evo's? Now how many people have them? I can tell you that as soon as ALOT of Verizon's customers have 4G phones that the data speeds WILL slow down. I do not know if Sprint still has better data speed than Verizon in NY but here is something else to consider. What Sprint offers for $80/month would cost AT LEAST $90 to COME CLOSE to matching due to any mobile any time and 7 to 7 nights. If you actually talk on your phone you would have to spend $110/month.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ballroom dru View Post
    Quick question. When you got your epic how many people around you had Epic's/Evo's? Now how many people have them? I can tell you that as soon as ALOT of Verizon's customers have 4G phones that the data speeds WILL slow down. I do not know if Sprint still has better data speed than Verizon in NY but here is something else to consider. What Sprint offers for $80/month would cost AT LEAST $90 to COME CLOSE to matching due to any mobile any time and 7 to 7 nights. If you actually talk on your phone you would have to spend $110/month.
    You can get 5 numbers added to talk to unlimited. Sure, data speeds may drop a little, but if you look at a 4g coverage map from verizon and Sprint, it may shock you just how good the LTE technology is. I personally don't talk much on the phone. With my new job, I'll be talking less on it since it will be night shift. 450 minutes should be plenty for me. The EC05 update does bring a better modem than EB13, so my 3G speeds last night were amazing. If Sprint keeps this up, I'll stay, but if they start to suck again, then I will switch to the Bionic when that drops.