High End Devices should they have bloatware?

High end devices, should there be carrier & manufacturer bloatware/UI addons?

• Total voters

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Just as the title says... You buy a high end device, regardless of what carrier. Do you feel you should be paying all that money and still have to deal with carrier provided bloatware and UI add ons?

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with the carrier adding additional software, (crapware, bloatware..) However, Every user of any device.. be it high end or entry level should be able to delete unwanted non system essential apps with out having to root.

Same problem with desktop PC's ( which is why i run Linux at home) Consumers shouldnt have to deal with extra crap on their resh new PC (like norton trial.. or Macafee.,).

I always to a fresh install with any new Computer purchase.

MBM7881

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
i feel the same as addie...if its there i should have the option to remove it. i havent completely gotten the ui of android...i'm learning as i go but i remember with my blackberry i hated all the extra apps that i didnt need or want. so i would put them in a folder and hide them. my husband even has a "sh!t" folder (no lie he actually named it that lol) to put all the extra crap that came with his bb. i dont use all the apps that come with the phone i download my own but all the extra stuff that i dont need i dont see a purpose for. i guess its nice that we can save apps to the sd card to save memory.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree on the stripped purchase on computers, wish it was that way on cell phones. Last two Dell computers I bought I had them built stripped, no additional software. When I received them there was like one Dell app and then the built in Windows garbage which, well its Windows you have to deal with that I guess but it can be removed...

robyn25

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the idea of if its there at least let me delete it. Some people do start out on high end devices, ( I did for example, the epic was my first android) so maybe the pre-installed apps help them out..BUT, you should always be able to delete anything you don't want on your phone. ( That is, anything that isn't necessary for the phone to run)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the idea of if its there at least let me delete it. Some people do start out on high end devices, ( I did for example, the epic was my first android) so maybe the pre-installed apps help them out..BUT, you should always be able to delete anything you don't want on your phone. ( That is, anything that isn't necessary for the phone to run)

Yes thats why I believe if it must be put in there then at least install it to "Data" like we do with certain extra apps offered on custom ROMs so it can be removed by the user in the settings>apps>manage apps. Just hit uninstall..

robyn25

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes, if ya'll can do it that way, they should be able to do it that way too! And the custom stuff ya'll do is 10x better anyway!! My phone is running better than ever thanks to this website and xda!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Like I said in another post, I don't mind bloatware if I am given an opportunity to remove it.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes option to remove is a must. No such a big deal when you can root I guss.

but for the casual user... That may not fd the case... but does the casual user know to not like bloat ware hmm.

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Bloatware is stupid. It's always been stupid, it'll always be stupid, and manufacturers will never, ever learn.

However, locking it in? Triple extra super stupid.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
As I said earlier, I don't know why carrier/device makers can't just install their bloatware to "Data" like we do on custom ROMs. Their software is still there but at least it gives the user option to dump it if they don't want it. That is not how they think, they have to keep you in a stranglehold by installing it to "/system/app" so it can't be removed unless you root.

Its an unfair practice I believe. You paid for the phone you should be able to remove what you don't want, period. Bad enough the carrier gets to have their name stamped on the darn thing, at least give me the option to remove your software I don't like.

Reactions: longhorn_65

sardonycus

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
bloatware should absolutely be deletable. Asphalt would be cool if it was free!! putting an app on my phone that I can't erase and asking $$ for it too is crap.

robomav

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
i agreed. install all the apps you want as along as i can take them off without rooting then i would be fine with that as a stock user.

sanman

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Another vote for the ability to remove. In fact, if I can't remove bloatware, I don't want the phone. That narrows things down, doesn't it?

ttriplett1

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the corner of the carriers, they just want to make more $$; its capitalism. I do agree they need to give you the option to remove though... I think I might be the only one that actually likes the NASCAR app ;)

garapueto

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
This echoes the legal battle going on with Sony/Geohot right now. When I bought my phone, I tried to remove the Sprint software that I did not want or need. It took up space, slowed my phone down, and drained precious battery life. I then learned that rooting was the only way to remove it. I shouldn't have to do that. I can uninstall anything that is shipped on a PC from the manufacturer, why should I have to go through this extra step on my phone? And this is where this comes full circle... Is it really "my property", do I really "own" this phone?