Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: High end devices, should there be carrier & manufacturer bloatware/UI addons?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, that is fine with me.

6 6.19%
  • No, I feel I'm paying for a high end device and can decide what I want for apps, etc.

64 65.98%
  • Doesn't matter to me, I will just root and remove it anyways.

19 19.59%
  • I really don't care either way.

8 8.25%
03-19-2011 09:08 PM
31 replies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default High End Devices should they have bloatware?

Just as the title says... You buy a high end device, regardless of what carrier. Do you feel you should be paying all that money and still have to deal with carrier provided bloatware and UI add ons?

Global Posts
    995 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Froyo DK28

There is nothing wrong with the carrier adding additional software, (crapware, bloatware..) However, Every user of any device.. be it high end or entry level should be able to delete unwanted non system essential apps with out having to root.

Same problem with desktop PC's ( which is why i run Linux at home) Consumers shouldnt have to deal with extra crap on their resh new PC (like norton trial.. or Macafee.,).

I always to a fresh install with any new Computer purchase.

Global Posts
    1,192 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Ice Cream Sandwich

i feel the same as addie...if its there i should have the option to remove it. i havent completely gotten the ui of android...i'm learning as i go but i remember with my blackberry i hated all the extra apps that i didnt need or want. so i would put them in a folder and hide them. my husband even has a "sh!t" folder (no lie he actually named it that lol) to put all the extra crap that came with his bb. i dont use all the apps that come with the phone i download my own but all the extra stuff that i dont need i dont see a purpose for. i guess its nice that we can save apps to the sd card to save memory.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I agree on the stripped purchase on computers, wish it was that way on cell phones. Last two Dell computers I bought I had them built stripped, no additional software. When I received them there was like one Dell app and then the built in Windows garbage which, well its Windows you have to deal with that I guess but it can be removed...

Carrier
    Stock

I agree with the idea of if its there at least let me delete it. Some people do start out on high end devices, ( I did for example, the epic was my first android) so maybe the pre-installed apps help them out..BUT, you should always be able to delete anything you don't want on your phone. ( That is, anything that isn't necessary for the phone to run)

I don't mind the bloatware. Some if it I like to use other applications that I don't use I can easily ignore.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by robyn25 View Post
    I agree with the idea of if its there at least let me delete it. Some people do start out on high end devices, ( I did for example, the epic was my first android) so maybe the pre-installed apps help them out..BUT, you should always be able to delete anything you don't want on your phone. ( That is, anything that isn't necessary for the phone to run)
    Yes thats why I believe if it must be put in there then at least install it to "Data" like we do with certain extra apps offered on custom ROMs so it can be removed by the user in the settings>apps>manage apps. Just hit uninstall..

Carrier
    Stock

Yes, if ya'll can do it that way, they should be able to do it that way too! And the custom stuff ya'll do is 10x better anyway!! My phone is running better than ever thanks to this website and xda!
    Retired Ambassador

Like I said in another post, I don't mind bloatware if I am given an opportunity to remove it.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,480 Global Posts

Yes option to remove is a must. No such a big deal when you can root I guss.

but for the casual user... That may not fd the case... but does the casual user know to not like bloat ware hmm.
    Retired Ambassador

Some of the so called bloatware I like better than apps in the market.

Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    Carrier
    ICS / Stock

I don't really care that they put it on the devices, I would like to option to remove it without having to root.

Carrier
    ACS SyndicateROM Frozen

Bloatware is stupid. It's always been stupid, it'll always be stupid, and manufacturers will never, ever learn.

However, locking it in? Triple extra super stupid.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

As I said earlier, I don't know why carrier/device makers can't just install their bloatware to "Data" like we do on custom ROMs. Their software is still there but at least it gives the user option to dump it if they don't want it. That is not how they think, they have to keep you in a stranglehold by installing it to "/system/app" so it can't be removed unless you root.

Its an unfair practice I believe. You paid for the phone you should be able to remove what you don't want, period. Bad enough the carrier gets to have their name stamped on the darn thing, at least give me the option to remove your software I don't like.
    longhorn_65 likes this.

bloatware should absolutely be deletable. Asphalt would be cool if it was free!! putting an app on my phone that I can't erase and asking $$ for it too is crap.

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Carrier
    ACE ROM v1.7

i agreed. install all the apps you want as along as i can take them off without rooting then i would be fine with that as a stock user.

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Another vote for the ability to remove. In fact, if I can't remove bloatware, I don't want the phone. That narrows things down, doesn't it?

Carrier
    Stock Rooted

I'm in the corner of the carriers, they just want to make more $$; its capitalism. I do agree they need to give you the option to remove though... I think I might be the only one that actually likes the NASCAR app

I don't care what the phone has preinstalled as long as I can remove it.

Carrier
    EI22, Nubernel+ 2.6.35.7

This echoes the legal battle going on with Sony/Geohot right now. When I bought my phone, I tried to remove the Sprint software that I did not want or need. It took up space, slowed my phone down, and drained precious battery life. I then learned that rooting was the only way to remove it. I shouldn't have to do that. I can uninstall anything that is shipped on a PC from the manufacturer, why should I have to go through this extra step on my phone? And this is where this comes full circle... Is it really "my property", do I really "own" this phone?

is there a way to remove it?

I am not sure what the obsession here is with bloatware. I for one do not watch nascar on sprint but having it and removing it is not a big deal. I do however watch sprint tv. It is just part of what you get when you sign onto a service, and imo, there is nothing wrong with that.

I respect that you don't care for it, but embrace it

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    I don't mind the bloatware. Some if it I like to use other applications that I don't use I can easily ignore.
    Yeah, but a after a simple root and deleting the unwanted sprint programs, your battery life will improve as less things run in the background.

Global Posts
    2,679 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scheets973 View Post
    I am not sure what the obsession here is with bloatware. I for one do not watch nascar on sprint but having it and removing it is not a big deal. I do however watch sprint tv. It is just part of what you get when you sign onto a service, and imo, there is nothing wrong with that.
    No. Much bloatware has very bad affects whether you use it or not

a) This handset had no ability to use card memory for programs for seven months. It was one of the few released in Sept that had this limit (do to older android). This made conserving space on internal memory important and blaotware a more serious negative than other handsets.

b) It is an objective fact that the drm service added with media hub causes a 5% to 15% hit on overall battery life even if you never use media hub.

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CleanROM

for me personally, i don't care what crap they pre-load the device with, because it's gonna get rooted. and i understand loading a couple of carrier specific apps (sprint tv, nav, ect) for people to take advantage of if they would like. the problem is not giving the customer the ability to remove the apps if they are unwanted (after all, i bought the phone, i'm not renting from sprint). then when you start getting into hidden processes (i.e. DRM service, CIQ), that not only effect performance/battery life, but may also be gathering information in the background, that's where i start to have some big problems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast