Nexus S 4G vs. Epic 4G

Are you ready to switch to the Nexus S 4G?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
So I know the Nexus S 4G is supposed to come w/ 2.3 and free of bloatware, but other that it seems like an Epic sans QWERTY. Same processor etc... Any real difference? Is it enough to be worthy of the switch?

Introducing Nexus S 4G

There are plenty of differences, not all for the better. The Nexus has 16GB of on board memory (good), but no sd card slot, so thats the most space you're going to get (bad). Its running EXT4 file system (good), but you can install a custom ROM to get this same benefit on an Epic. The Nexus has NFC... which is almost completely useless right now. Its running Gingerbread with everything working, may bring light to getting a full CyanogenMod7 working when its released for the Epic.

ttriplett1

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
... The Nexus has 16GB of on board memory (good), but no sd card slot, so thats the most space you're going to get (bad)...

Wow, didn't catch that was internal w/ no SD... That could be a problem... I hear you on the EXT4, much quicker. I think we are on the verge of a stable CM7 build (crossing fingers).

big_bake

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I think it just comes down to a hardware keyboard. The rest of the hardware is pretty much identical (minus an LED that the Nexus S is missing). No SDcard is kinda lame in 2011. That's a standard these days.

I hope it's release will help the CM7 team on the Epic though

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
If I didn't already have an epic I would get this, but I'm not willing to make a lateral move hardware-wise, especially how fast tech is outdated these days.

Sent by a little green robot

robomav

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
i agree with ragnarokx. if i did not have my epic i would be all over this. no point in upgrading when i like my keyboard and can get gingerbread on the epic soon. i am sure the nexus will take forever to be updated to the next os after gingerbread just like with the epic

Matty-Mo

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I love my epic, was never a person who was mad when it took forever to get 2.2 very loyal, however i want a nexus and will sell my epic to get one, but the main thing i want is gingerbread, the newest and best upgrades from android themselves, and truly i really don't use my keyboard as much as i should... so this makes perfect sense for me. however i am just wondering if the epic and nexus battery is the same got a new seidio extended 1600 mah slim battery bnib that i never used and maybe will put in that... however i am hesitant to preorder one this early in the week when there is the chance that the evo 3d will be announced later this week... might wait to see what happens with that before i preorder.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
If I didn't already have the Epic I would really think about this phone. Just don't see enough upside to eat the costs to upgrade. Wish they would have added a couple more upgrades, the 4G addition was smart though.

Hopefully the real treat will be our rom developers being able to pull from this phone.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
I was looking at this at Best Buy (the TMo version) and the price tag said, "$529.99"...is this real? Does this phone really cost that much? I didnt see a price on contract so I can only assume that was the cost on contract. Thats more than I want to pay for a phone that really isnt all that much better. I do appreciate the pure Google experience and I was interested in getting it in replacement of my Epic but not for that cost.

ttriplett1

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I was looking at this at Best Buy (the TMo version) and the price tag said, "$529.99"...is this real? Does this phone really cost that much? I didnt see a price on contract so I can only assume that was the cost on contract. Thats more than I want to pay for a phone that really isnt all that much better. I do appreciate the pure Google experience and I was interested in getting it in replacement of my Epic but not for that cost.

I'm sure that was without a contract ;)

Jinded

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

It's $200 with contract.

T3HKMAN

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I was just complaining about this with my co-worker but after looking at the specs closer i'm fine with my Epic. I love learning about the rooting right now and don't like the lack of a micro sd card. If anything (since I JUST got my Epic) I'm more upset about the Evo 3D coming soon. That thing looks great so far.

Thunderscore

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I am totally on the pure Android bandwagon. I currently have an Epic, and loved it until Sprint pushed out the 2.2 (Froyo) update. Now my phone is slow, short-lived (battery) and really not that great as an actual phone. Thus, I am moving to the Nexus S, sans Sprint bloatware.

I am of the belief that Google wants to make a great mobile OS, because they need to. I also believe that Sprint, along with all mobile service providers use their customized Android updates to push you to purchase new hardware.

I do, have an easier conversion than most, however. I am going to extend my contract to add a new line and I also have a discount source for the phone, itself. This eases my conversion pain significantly. Honestly, if I wasn't in this boat, I would tough it out on my Epic until my contract was up too, but I'd hate every minute of it until I found a way to put Cyanogenmod on it.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
i agree with ragnarokx. if i did not have my epic i would be all over this. no point in upgrading when i like my keyboard and can get gingerbread on the epic soon. i am sure the nexus will take forever to be updated to the next os after gingerbread just like with the epic

And... that is the biggest advantage of the Nexus phones. The carrier isn't allowed to touch the phone. No carrier branding on the case, no carrier apps preinstalled, and no carrier or manufacturer needing to approve updates. When 2.3.4 comes out, the Nexus will be the FIRST to get it. When Ice Cream Sandwich comes out, the Nexus will be the FIRST to get it.

I was torn between the Nexus and the Epic. I got the Epic free (made my decision really easy) at Best Buy the other day. Very comparable hardware wise.

|-KGB-|CaptHowdy

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
well i had the epic and got the Nexus for free and I am loving it. This phone just works so much more smoothly. I just got my buddy who has the epic to get the nexus as well. But i love it and I am selling my epic very soon. Just got a replacement so its never even been activated lol. But this nexus is just an amazing phone and the form factor is great.