Sprint Samsung Epic 4g Official Froyo EC05 [update.zip method/Custom Odin Packages]

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Epic 4g

Froyo EC05
v2.2.1

screenshot_35.png

screenshot_36.png

Screenshots by Paul627g

Official EC05 is finally here! We have four methods available. The "update.zip" method for both Eclair 2.1 (DI18) to EC05 and Froyo EB13 to Froyo EC05 and now two custom Odin packages. See below.

Manual "update.zip" Method From Froyo EB13 to Froyo EC05:

This manual "update.zip" method is currently only for those running stock Froyo EB13. This will NOT erase your current data if your already running Froyo EB13.

1) You need to be on Froyo EB13. Follow the link provided and select procedure #1 to Odin back to stock Froyo EB13 This WILL ERASE everything on your phone (SDCARD WILL NOT BE AFFECTED) [How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

2. Download the update file from here.
Google Download

3. You will need to rename the file to "update.zip" once the download is finished. If your changing the filename in Windows Explorer just rename it to "update" and NOT "update.zip" or your filename will end up "update.zip.zip" and then it won't install.

4. Transfer the file to your root directory of your sdcard

5. Boot into stock recovery mode (press and hold volume down+camera+power for a few seconds)

6. Select "apply sdcard:update.zip" (You navigate by using volume up/down & select by hitting home key)

7. Sit back and wait for the update to finish and your phone will reboot into EC05 Froyo!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manual "update.zip" Method From Eclair 2.1 (DI18) to Froyo EC05:

This manual "update.zip" method is currently only for those running stock Eclair 2.1 (DI18). This will NOT erase your current data if your already running Eclair 2.1 (DI18).

1) You need to be on Eclair 2.1 (DI18). Follow the link provided and select procedure #2 to Odin back to stock Eclair 2.1 (DI18) This WILL ERASE everything on your phone (SDCARD WILL NOT BE AFFECTED) [How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

2. Download the update file from here.
xda developers | mirror

3. You will need to rename the file to "update.zip" once the download is finished. If your changing the filename in Windows Explorer just rename it to "update" and NOT "update.zip" or your filename will end up "update.zip.zip" and then it won't install.

4. Transfer the file to your root directory of your sdcard

5. Boot into stock recovery mode (press and hold volume down+camera+power for a few seconds)

6. Select "apply sdcard:update.zip" (You navigate by using volume up/down & select by hitting home key)

7. Sit back and wait for the update to finish and your phone will reboot into EC05 Froyo!

Credit: xda - developers for the update.zip link

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alternative Odin Packages *** Android Central Exclusive ***

NEW VERSION: Froyo EC05 Prerooted/ClockWorkMod v2.5.1.0 (RFS Filesystem) Odexed. [ FULL WIPE ]

tag.png
[Odin-EC05] Froyo EC05 Prerooted/CWM v2.5.1.0 RFS (Odexed)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3/21 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release (Android 2.2) - EC05
Credit: Sprint Community Forums

Samsung Epic Maintenance Release (Android 2.2) - EC05

Enhancements/Fixes:
- Upgrade of the Google OS from ?clair to Froyo (2.2.1)
- Ability to install applications to external storage
- Improved Bluetooth device support
- Bluetooth Voice Dialing
- Flash Player 10.1
- Improved OS performance
- many others...
- GPS Enhancements
- Email PIN based authentication
- User friendly tethering for 3G and 4G
- Sprint ID

Important Notes:
- Software version is: S:D700.0.5S.EC05
- Devices with software versions DI18 and EB13 will receive the udpate
- Download and install time is approximately 10 minutes
- Released in stages with 100% of devices having received the update within 4 days
- Refer to the Samsung Epic Maintenance Release blog for install instructions
- Refer to this thread for more Epic specific information on Sprint ID

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well looks like Samsung has the source file posted again at their opensource.samsung.com site. Looks like last time around, just the source code not flashable.

We will keep you posted throughout the day...

Paul627g

Questions about receiving the OTA update?

Can I Still Get OTA Updates with Root/Leaked Froyo/Custom ROM/etc?

Last edited:

gyoung345

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I think this is all over the board, but that is the source code. You would need to compile it to deploy it to your phone. As of 9:56am, the compiled EC05 is not available on the Samsung website.

Reactions: citiz

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
What would happen if I downloaded it and used Odin since it's a tar file

Nothing, judging from the file name and basing off Froyo EB13 this is the source code for developers to use to build their kernels. Raw code, nothing flashable. Keep checking the opensource.samsung.com site, once you see a filename for EC05 pop up that has "update" somewhere in the filename your in business..

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I think this is all over the board, but that is the source code. You would need to compile it to deploy it to your phone. As of 9:56am, the compiled EC05 is not available on the Samsung website.

This source code can't even be compiled for use. It still has the modem and some other bits left out as before with Froyo EB13. Give it a few hours...

drekosh

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
EB13 was supposed to start deployment late on the first day. (10pm I think) Does anyone know if this release is supposed to be the same?

wolfeman11781

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Well, i have downloaded the update, but I can not get the phone to take the update as i am on EB13 from last month. I need help getting the phone back to Stock DI18 so I may attempt to to the update again. Does any one have or know where I may be able to get this file?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Well, i have downloaded the update, but I can not get the phone to take the update as i am on EB13 from last month. I need help getting the phone back to Stock DI18 so I may attempt to to the update again. Does any one have or know where I may be able to get this file?

Which update are you referring to?

Choose procedure #2 for restoring to Eclair 2.1 (DI18) in the link below.

[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

robomav

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
does the update include people on eb13 who updated the last time? not sure i want to check out the update or stay with my ace

wolfeman11781

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I forgot to mention, i can not use Odin, as I am on a mac. I believe, in order to get the EC05, i have to be on DI18. Currently I am on EB13, and have put the .zip file on the SD card and tried to load from that, as I did with EB13, but it will not take the update.
It keeps saying something like update failed, can't mount to sd or something. MAybe I need the phone in debug before I shut it down? I am kinda noob with this stuff.

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I forgot to mention, i can not use Odin, as I am on a mac. I believe, in order to get the EC05, i have to be on DI18. Currently I am on EB13, and have put the .zip file on the SD card and tried to load from that, as I did with EB13, but it will not take the update.
It keeps saying something like update failed, can't mount to sd or something. MAybe I need the phone in debug before I shut it down? I am kinda noob with this stuff.

I think several people have said in this thread that the source code available on samsung.com at the moment can not be used to update? Is that what your are attempting?

tektoys

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
i've been wondering about this, if we already have eb13 we will get ec05, BUT will this fix the bugs in eb13 or just add sprint id... i'm pretty sure it's a premature question but with folks here you never know lol

swanny1981

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
does the update include people on eb13 who updated the last time? not sure i want to check out the update or stay with my ace

Important Notes:

- Software version is: S:D700.0.5S.EC05

- Devices with software versions DI18 and EB13 will receive the udpate

- Download and install time is approximately 10 minutes

- Released in stages with 100% of devices having received the update within 4 days

Reactions: Mike77

tomy2001

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Is there a great difference between EC05 and EB13?

Hello Everyone!!!
I have to go to work, but I will be checking AC for updates.

Did you get the update?
How was it?

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok, here is a trick question for you that the link you provided doesn't answer - if you are stock rom and kernel and rooted, but did the camera/video lag fix to the stock kernel - will you get the update? :D
You flashed the kernel that fixes the camera/video lag? You should be okay.

garapueto

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Once the dust settles, will you guys have a comparison of what is different from the EB13 update? I'm hoping some of the little bugs like the camera issue are now resolved as part of the EC05 build.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Once the dust settles, will you guys have a comparison of what is different from the EB13 update? I'm hoping some of the little bugs like the camera issue are now resolved as part of the EC05 build.

Everyone will know the answer to the camera fc as soon as they receive the update and try it. Keyboard lag is my other question. Any time now we should know the answers to all this.