Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Question Can you change the colors of the text messages on the 2.2 EC05 update?

    Okay, so I finally got my 2.2 update for my epic 4g. For the most part, I dig it. However, I reallllly hate the color scheme they chose for the text messaging. Of all the colors in the world..those were the ones that had to get chosen. Anyways, does anyone know of a way to change that? Or at very least change it back to the way it used to be? The whole using bubbles scheme in order to blatantly rip off Apple is just not my jam. (If not, is there any app out there? I mean, it seriously bugs me.)

    Thanks.
  2. #2  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skokiaan View Post
    Okay, so I finally got my 2.2 update for my epic 4g. For the most part, I dig it. However, I reallllly hate the color scheme they chose for the text messaging. Of all the colors in the world..those were the ones that had to get chosen. Anyways, does anyone know of a way to change that? Or at very least change it back to the way it used to be? The whole using bubbles scheme in order to blatantly rip off Apple is just not my jam. (If not, is there any app out there? I mean, it seriously bugs me.)

    Thanks.
    No way that I'm aware of and yes the bubble sms is about the ugliest thing they could have ever done.. Looks more suited for the iPhone... LOL.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central





  3. #3  

    Default

    There are two ways: 1) root your phone to replace the mms.apk, or 2) use a 3rd party app from the Market like Handcent
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default

    Thank you for recommending Handcent! I love that it's free and it's pretty neat.
  5. #5  

    Default

    @skokiaan, I'm sorry I didn't mention the root option. I was basing your question on a unrooted form of EC05.

    Thanks Ragnarokx !
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central





  6. #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skokiaan View Post
    Thank you for recommending Handcent! I love that it's free and it's pretty neat.
    No problem! And if you plan on keeping Handcent, make sure you go into the stock messaging app and press menu button>Settings>uncheck Notifications box, so you don't get double notifications.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default

    p.s. is there any way to be able to link my "messages" button to the handcent app? (so when i click on messages, my texts come in my custom handcent style) thanks again.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default

    oh and i'm not looking to root my phone. it makes me nervous. if only we had the ability to re-install our operating system in case something goes wrong (like the palm os).
  9. #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skokiaan View Post
    p.s. is there any way to be able to link my "messages" button to the handcent app? (so when i click on messages, my texts come in my custom handcent style) thanks again.
    What launcher, Touch Wiz?

    You can edit the Froyo Touch Wiz dock bar, by tapping the Applications drawer button, then tap the Menu button and select Edit. Then slide the Handcent icon down to where the default Messaging icon is on dock bar. Then tap the Home button.....
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default

    Okay, here's the deal. I editted my Froyo Touch Wix doc bar and added that app to it. After I switched out my battery and turned it back on, it kept coming up with the "TWLauncher force close" error that would loop and be annoying. Anyways, I had to race to get to the "Manage Applications" area. Then I clicked to view all apps and clicked on TWLauncher. I then erased data and voila, no more lame force close looping. (And I didn't lose any of my apps, which is awesome. I just had to place my apps where I wanted on the home screes again.) Anyways, does anyone know how to add it to my dock without it crashing like that?

    Thanks.
  11. #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skokiaan View Post
    Okay, here's the deal. I editted my Froyo Touch Wix doc bar and added that app to it. After I switched out my battery and turned it back on, it kept coming up with the "TWLauncher force close" error that would loop and be annoying. Anyways, I had to race to get to the "Manage Applications" area. Then I clicked to view all apps and clicked on TWLauncher. I then erased data and voila, no more lame force close looping. (And I didn't lose any of my apps, which is awesome. I just had to place my apps where I wanted on the home screes again.) Anyways, does anyone know how to add it to my dock without it crashing like that?

    Thanks.
    The method I described above, is the way to edit your TouchWiz launcher dock bar.

    It's my guess that you did not do a Factory Reset to dump the device memory after you installed 2.2 Froyo. You most likely have a conflict with remaining files from the 2.1 Eclair, that weren't removed with running the update.

    I don't have the force close issue....

Posting Permissions