1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Odin Back to DI18 to Get ECO5 OTA Update Works

Respecting Jaggrey's request from the "Any EB13 Users get the OTA update to EC05? Post here!" thread, I started this one to report that I successfully Odin'ed back to DI18 from EB13 so that I can receive the EC05 Update as did Dfine1966, Citiz, Crinsd, FootySr, and CCEpic81. (It was their posts in the aforementioned thread that encouraged me to go ahead and do it!)

After Odining to DI18 I went to Menu, Settings, About Phone, System Updates, and Update Android to find the EC05 in the process of downloading! Within 5 minutes or so from that point, I was prompted to update to EC05.

Moral of the story: If you don't want to wait for the OTA from EB13, use Odin to flash back to DI18 like I and several others have and it is HIGHLY likely (modestly speaking) that you will be prompted for the EC05 Update.
    Last edited by ragnarokx; 03-26-2011 at 08:23 PM.
    Thanked by:
    adlebo 

I'd be cool with this but how much effort is involved with backing up all your pics, video, texts, apps, etc. to go back to eclair and then update?

Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    ROM
    Froyo EC05

Quote Originally Posted by smashclash View Post
    I'd be cool with this but how much effort is involved with backing up all your pics, video, texts, apps, etc. to go back to eclair and then update?
    You would need to download your apps again, so you may want to write them down. Don't worry, you won't have to purchase any paid apps again! You'll also have to reapply all of your settings.

I've used Odin to go back to stock before and it took less than 5 minutes. It took a little while longer to set my phone up the way I had it, but it didn't bother me at all...

I say if you don't want to wait any longer, go for it!!
    Hey there!
    twitter.com/firstborn80 :rolleyes:

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

Too much effort for me, so I got the rom from Paul and Driodxcon that allowed me to update directly from EB13 to EC05 with no data loss. Using this method gets your phone rooted, but you can continue to obtain future OTA updates from Sprint since it's a clean rom.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    356 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock TW FH13 ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by mzengr View Post
    You would need to download your apps again, so you may want to write them down. Don't worry, you won't have to purchase any paid apps again! You'll also have to reapply all of your settings.

I've used Odin to go back to stock before and it took less than 5 minutes. It took a little while longer to set my phone up the way I had it, but it didn't bother me at all...

I say if you don't want to wait any longer, go for it!!
    How do u odin? I dnt know how to go about doing this

Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    ROM
    Froyo EC05

Quote Originally Posted by carraser891 View Post
    How do u odin? I dnt know how to go about doing this
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/epic...ked-phone.html
    Hey there!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I used "appsaver" app for the apps and "sms backup and restore"app for my texts (both free from the market, they save items to your SD card), and the Google account syncs for my Contacts and Calendar.

I use Launcher Pro Plus for my Home Screens so I used the backup and restore function with that app, which was nice but not absolutely necessary. (LP Plus is the paid version but again, if you don't have it, it's not a deal breaker. IMO)

I wasn't concerned about losing the Call log.

Anything that is on your SD card (videos, pics, apps, backed up apps, backed up texts, anything) is safe and will not be affected by the Odin flash.

These or similar backup methods can be done in 30 mins or so. We've been combing these forums for longer than that! ;-)

~All the best

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    ROM
    Froyo EC05

There has to be an issue with the EB13 --> EC05 update!

I used Odin to go back to DI18 and while I was putting in my google password, the Sprint Zone notification showed up...about 5 minutes later, the software update popped up!

I got tired of waiting and checking the forums every 5 seconds...LOL
    Hey there!

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts

Appbrain for apps, I did this method and reinstalled like 90 apps with one push of a button, maybe 2.

Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    ROM
    Froyo EC05

I didn't redownload my apps either, thanks to someone on another forum! I downloaded My Backup from the market. It backed up all of my data too (sms, mms, settings, ringtones, etc.). Saved me a bunch of time...

Quote Originally Posted by mzengr View Post
    I didn't redownload my apps either, thanks to someone on another forum! I downloaded My Backup from the market. It backed up all of my data too (sms, mms, settings, ringtones, etc.). Saved me a bunch of time...
    did you do the paid version or free?

Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    ROM
    Froyo EC05

I got the free version.

ROM
    Legendary RC2

Thanks to Paul627g for your easy to follow directions on using Odin to revert from EB13 to DI18. I am a bit new at this but the instructions were very clear and easy to follow. The longest wait was for the .tar file to download. After that it was a piece of cake. Then almost immediately after it restarted, the EC05 download began.

I'll probably read a LOT more on this forum and proceed with rooting. I like taking stuff apart and putting it together.

Thanks again

Carl