Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Profile,PRL, Firmware update error

Hey, everyone. I do not have an epic but the gf does. Prior to her getting the froyo update, her device stopped being able to update the PRL, firmware, and Profile. Now, after the update she still cannot. We called sprint initially and the woman told us it is a known froyo issue, and as if she is paid on the the number of times she picks up the phone not actually helping, she told us to go to a sprint store and it would be taken care of. Calling her bs I called back and got a much more helpful person. She tried to push the updates, which failed. Then she said they would give her a new device but this would void the insurance through Best Buy, and the gf does not want to have to go the more pricey route (with the fees to replace a device via sprint the fee is 35 now, 100 for physical damage). That being said, the gf said she was going to take ky to best buy and get it sent out, which takes from 7 to 30 days and does not grantee a replaced device. At any rate, I've factory reset the device and I'm not sure what to do to fix it. The error reads as follows for all attempts

"An error occurred while trying to update your firmware.
    please try again later.
    if the problem persists please call customer care.

Error: Internal Error"
    lafountain likes this.

You aren't the only one to experience this issue. I have had it as well since just before the update was supposed to begin, as I imagine others have.

Global Posts
    199 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

I have the exact same issue post update.

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Carrier
    ACE ROM v1.7

it is not a problem with the phone. it is a problem with sprint/google servers.

you do not really need to update your profile or prl anyways. i never do.

im having the same problem since i got my epic

@Cabrone, this is a known issue... Don't bother sending your g/f phone in to get fixed.

PRL and profile really don't need to be played with like everyone seems to think. I have never touched mine and things work fine. The PRL's are only updated once in a while and when they are its usually only a minor change.

There is a long drawn out method for those who want to attempt it to update your PRL manually.

[HOW TO] Update your PRL manually (EPIC 4G)
    cabrone likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

The second woman I spoke with at sprint agrees it is not crucial however she said If they [Sprint] push another update it may fail to go through. Is this correct? Will this issue fix itself or is it a device error?

Quote Originally Posted by cabrone View Post
    The second woman I spoke with at sprint agrees it is not crucial however she said If they [Sprint] push another update it may fail to go through. Is this correct? Will this issue fix itself or is it a device error?
    I am guessing that a good majority of those that got EC05 pushed were having the issue prior to the update. I wouldn't be worried about updates not pushing.

Yes this PRL issue started with some devices back on "leaked" DK28 Froyo and got worse in EB13. Its something on Sprint/Googles end and not your device.

Just remember Cabrone, you have the option of doing the manual update.zip method. That will preserve her data. I was able to get you threw the steps of using Odin, the update.zip method is even easier to do.

i talked to a sprint tech yesterday and the prl,firmware and profile updating is a system problem that they are working on. i was told that they don't know how long it will take to fix but will eventually be working right.
    cabrone likes this.
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Yes this PRL issue started with some devices back on "leaked" DK28 Froyo and got worse in EB13. Its something on Sprint/Googles end and not your device.

Just remember Cabrone, you have the option of doing the manual update.zip method. That will preserve her data. I was able to get you threw the steps of using Odin, the update.zip method is even easier to do.
    Prl update issues are not version specific. DI18 was also affected. It has been a sprint problem for months.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by keithvetter View Post
    Prl update issues are not version specific. DI18 was also affected. It has been a sprint problem for months.

Sounds good to me... You know what, I never touch mine. Things work great.. If it isn't broke then don't touch it... LOL... Darn Sprint has two famous lines to resolve everything... Wipe/Factory Reset and Update your PRL/Profile... The answers to everything...
    Retired Ambassador

Correct me if I'm wrong but from my understanding, The PRL (Preferred Roaming List) only effects your phone when you are actually roaming. From what I was told by sprint, it's nothing more than a list of ID's/login for towers belonging to other carriers. Without this information your phone wouldn't be able connect to the other networks when roaming.

Like Paul, updating that list has never improved anything on my phone.

Correct me if I'm wrong but from my understanding, The PRL (Preferred Roaming List) only effects your phone when you are actually roaming. From what I was told by sprint, it's nothing more than a list of ID's/login for towers belonging to other carriers. Without this information your phone wouldn't be able connect to the other networks when roaming.

Like Paul, updating that list has never improved anything on my phone.

Your 100% correct on that Keith. That is why I constantly pull my hair out when I see everyone posting how they updated their PRLs/Profile because it really doesn't do anything. Its for Roaming as you said, and they only update the list once a while. I've been a roaming before for short periods of time, never had a problem switching over and back. This is just another one of those things that has been mentioned to many times on the forums and used as an excuse by Sprint reps to resolve things.
    Retired Ambassador

It also has nothing to do with whether you receive you receive your update or not.

It also has nothing to do with whether you receive you receive your update or not.

Also correct.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Maybe you should tell that to Sprint, LOL

They seem (like all cell phone companies) to have no idea what is going on. At least the second woman I spoke with didn't pass the buck instantly to a store tech who would have no doubt told me to factory data reset (which I did after the first lady said to try that).

Maybe you should tell that to Sprint, LOL

They seem (like all cell phone companies) to have no idea what is going on. At least the second woman I spoke with didn't pass the buck instantly to a store tech who would have no doubt told me to factory data reset (which I did after the first lady said to try that).
    Cabrone, did your g/f's device get its OTA update or have you considered the update.zip method?

Default Re: Profile,PRL, Firmware update error

Reviving an old thread. My Epic 4G just started doing this same thing in the last week or 2. Stock Epic, never had any issue's with it before. I updated the PRL back a month or 2 ago which actually really seemed to help my reception (as my area has been under going the Network Vision Upgrades).

I need a new phone. Tired of the many issue's with this one (even if this isn't a phone issue).

Default Re: Profile,PRL, Firmware update error

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the list also has the potential to allow you to connect to different towers based on Sprint agreements with other carriers. It's not like "phone calls cast you $6" roaming. Just connecting to other towers in your area.

The reason why I think this is, I have been getting sh itty coverage at my desk on the north side of the building for like a year. They stood up a tower in sight of my office, but it didn't make any difference. I didn't connect to it. After updating the prl, I now do connect to it (according to Antennas app). It doesn't really display anywhere that I am "roaming". Like it never asked me to agree to roam.

I also updated this when I was travelling for work to the DC area. I got way sh itty signal and my battery was rapidly draining. I updated the prl and I got better signal because I was apparently allowed to connect to different towers that my phone didn't know about.

To be honest, I am just interpreting this based on my circumstance. i have nothing to back it up. I have had sprint service for a really long time. I can remember the big A coming up on my phone and then having fits when my bill came. I don't know if I just don't have to pay to roam anymore. I may be roaming all the time. Apparently this is a verizon town.