Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock

Default for those that have flashed Epic to boost or any other carrier

for those that have flashed Epic to boost or any other carrier...

How do you like the new service? Are you missing anything that you used to get on Sprint?

Thinking of having my Epic flashed to boost or Virgin Mobile and saving some $$$.

Experiences appreciated.
    Motorola Bag Phone--> Motorola Brick Phone--> Motorola Thick Flip Phone-->Motorola Star Tac--->Nokia 5510--->Nextel i90-->Treo600-->treo650-->treo700p--->treo755p--->treo800w--->EPIC 4G-->Samsung Infuse-->Galaxy Nexus GSM
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

ROM
    Stock

Bump for Thursday.

I cant believe with all the flashing ads on craigslist that nobody has done this yet. Virgin Mobile is $25 a month total for 300 minutes a month + unlimited text + unlimited 3g/data.

Boost is unlimited everything, for $50 a month but goes down $5 a month for every 6 months you pay on time. Essentially $35 a month unlimited everything after 18 months.

Metropcs doesnt have 3g, so that is a no go for me.

Cricket is not in my market, but is similiar.

I figure i can save thousands a year and have more than enough money left over to buy newer sprint phones outright and have no contracts/ETF to worry about.
    Motorola Bag Phone--> Motorola Brick Phone--> Motorola Thick Flip Phone-->Motorola Star Tac--->Nokia 5510--->Nextel i90-->Treo600-->treo650-->treo700p--->treo755p--->treo800w--->EPIC 4G-->Samsung Infuse-->Galaxy Nexus GSM
    Retired Ambassador

I have two things to say about this... 4g and very spotty service in my area with all of those services.

Can you hear me now?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

Sprint 4g is barely anywhere and Cricket/Virgin/Boost use the same network as Sprint, minus the roaming. Unless you see a triangle more than just occasionally, it wouldn't be an issue.

"Can you hear me now?" is (or was) Verizon's slogan.

OP, there are threads about this on XDA forum.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by dchawk81 View Post
    Sprint 4g is barely anywhere and Cricket/Virgin/Boost use the same network as Sprint, minus the roaming. Unless you see a triangle more than just occasionally, it wouldn't be an issue.

"Can you hear me now?" is (or was) Verizon's slogan.

OP, there are threads about this on XDA forum.
    thanks! I will do some research over there before I have it flashed.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    Stock

Just wanted to update this thread with what I have found.

Here is the thread of threads that goes everything on how to flash/program your EPIC to work on another carrier:

Mobile-Files.us Forum

Most people are flashing to boost. Boost is the same exact coverage as sprint, using the sprint network. $50 unlimited everything, goes down $5 every 6 months if you pay on time, so you end up at $35 a month for unlimited everything. No contracts/no taxes/fees.

You could theoretically do this on virgin mobile which is $25 a month for 300 minutes talk + unlimited text/3G.

4G will not work. No biggie for me as I live in a area that will probably never ever get Sprint clearwire 4G (Detroit).

Time to save some $$$$

Thanks for this thread/info kc8flb!

I'm on the same boat as you. I'm trying to save money for a wedding and buy a new home so my nearly $160 monthly cell phone bill is just ridiculous! I have a family plan with my fiance and she wants me to chop this cell bill down so this helps A LOT! I've accumulated many perks with sprint that I will lose if I leave. I really don't want to leave them since I've been with them for more than 8 years but saving money wins here over loyalty! I just don't want to lose access to my phone, lol!

If I was THAT tight, I wouldn't mind one of Virgin's Androids.

Having said that, I managed to mitigate the extra cost of Sprint over Boost/Virgin by eliminating the home internet and casually tethering. I wasn't really using the DSL for anything productive anyway.

If I need uberfast for whatever reason, I hit up the coffee shop, get a latte, and go nuts.

I'm also at the sweet spot where the switch doesn't justify the ETF.

ROM
    StOcK (As of now ;-) )

Default Re: for those that have flashed Epic to boost or any other carrie

Link is now down... Any way you could help a brother out? Been Googling for about 4 days now with barely any leads... I'm exhausted

Same as dyskid above. Sprint screwed me over a while ago so I've been using my wifi which sucks, seeing as it doesn't travel with me. Any help would greatly improve my quality of life.

i have payed 100 dollars to flash my phone to boost and it did not work. does anyone know a cheaper more reliable way to do it where i do not have to send my phone off. i am really annoyed with all the places you can go look to do it n not know if it is going to work or not!!!

I have just flashed my epic to boost and so far everything works just fine. I went to flashedphones.net and they remote flash for $150 or $120 for mail in. Well worth it

Default Re: for those that have flashed Epic to boost or any other carrier

For those on a small budget who want a smartphone with keyboard, I bought a "new" epic on ebay & had it flahed for $75.00 ...
    Have been using on Boost ever since and it works great anywhere . Dont use 4g but still am happy. Especially. Since it costs $35. Unlimited