Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Contact management Samsung Epic

In the laundry list of complaints with this thing, I'm really unhappy about contact management. Coming from the Palm Pre it was seamless. Facebook and google contacts integrated perfectly.
    On the Epic however, I've found that each time I update and restore contact information, it produces redundancies. For example, if I had "mom" stored originally, there was one instance. When I updated to EB13, it produced two instances, when I installed EB05, there are now FOUR instances.
    Is there some application or something in the rooted/homebrew community that will truncate this information? Is there a better way of integrating Facebook and my google contacts? (Usually FB has the same contact information that google has as people use the same accounts to create profiles on multiple networking sites.)
    If anyone knows, please help me on this as I don't want to go through and link contacts, delete contacts each time....and suddenly there are 2500 contacts I'd have to go through as each one has quadrupled itself. Major pain in the neck!
    Any support is appreciated!!
    Thanks in advance.

Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gummy Nex

Am I the only one that wants WebOS on this hardware? Android is great and all, but I miss my Pre. Just type, cards, contact management, the simplicity of it all.... Palm had a winner with it's OS. Unfortunately the Pre was the worst hardware blunder in history.

It seems like a lot of Pre owners went to the Epic. I love my Epic, but I wish it worked as flawlessly as my Pre. Not to mention the simplicity of "rooting", Govnah, undervolting, and switching kernals. Android is like 20 times more complicated.
    Thanked by:

Count me in as a Pre -> Epic guy. I do miss some of the simplicity and the more natural use of the WebOS experience. The Android OS seems to hit right on what WebOS was missing and WebOS hit the things Android is missing. IMO. Maybe Yahoo! should jump in the mix and make WebDroidOS.

On topic. I noticed this too and my OCD took over. What I had to do, and it was relatively painless really, was to export my contacts to the SD card. Download Contact Remover and run it. This will delete all your contacts. Once that's done, I resynced my accounts (facebook, corporate, etc.) and imported my contacts back onto the phone. I chose to upload them under my google account.
    Hope that helps, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post
    Am I the only one that wants WebOS on this hardware? Android is great and all, but I miss my Pre. Just type, cards, contact management, the simplicity of it all.... Palm had a winner with it's OS. Unfortunately the Pre was the worst hardware blunder in history.

It seems like a lot of Pre owners went to the Epic. I love my Epic, but I wish it worked as flawlessly as my Pre. Not to mention the simplicity of "rooting", Govnah, undervolting, and switching kernals. Android is like 20 times more complicated.
    The only reason the whole Android rooting seems more complicated these days is because Sprint & Samsung can't seem to get a good working version of Froyo and keep issuing new updates. In the long run its harder on the devs making the ROMs and kernels and it makes everything so much more confusing.

Once we have something solid in concrete things will get simplified once again and it won't seem so hard.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yeah, I used My Backup and stored my contacts to the SD card...for some reason it imported the contacts from the SD card AND my google/facebook contacts. I was looking today and found that there were as many as SIXTEEN ENTRIES for some people!! Ugh. I may try and work around it, delete everything off the SD card, delete all the contacts, then re-sync but I'm thinking at this point my Google account also has redundant information.
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by billbryan516 View Post
    Yeah, I used My Backup and stored my contacts to the SD card...for some reason it imported the contacts from the SD card AND my google/facebook contacts. I was looking today and found that there were as many as SIXTEEN ENTRIES for some people!! Ugh. I may try and work around it, delete everything off the SD card, delete all the contacts, then re-sync but I'm thinking at this point my Google account also has redundant information.
    It's easy to find out. Sign in to your google account from a pc. You can remove any duplicate contacts from there.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

I don't understand the problem you're describing, unless maybe you're using software to export your contacts and then re-import them into memory. If so, you are probably creating phone contacts that are duplicates of your Google and Facebook contacts.

In contrast to your complaint, I love the seamlessness of Android contact management. I don't create any phone contacts at all. My contact list only shows information from my GMail and Facebook accounts. The info is always up to date and Android automatically links matching people in the two accounts so that they appear as one merged entry in the contact list.

If I wanted, it would include contact info from Twitter and Yahoo! too. I can't imagine it being more simple, seamless and useful than it is. I suspect you have to actively do something to mess it up.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by topofmurrayhill View Post
    I don't understand the problem you're describing, unless maybe you're using software to export your contacts and then re-import them into memory. If so, you are probably creating phone contacts that are duplicates of your Google and Facebook contacts.

In contrast to your complaint, I love the seamlessness of Android contact management. I don't create any phone contacts at all. My contact list only shows information from my GMail and Facebook accounts. The info is always up to date and Android automatically links matching people in the two accounts so that they appear as one merged entry in the contact list.

If I wanted, it would include contact info from Twitter and Yahoo! too. I can't imagine it being more simple, seamless and useful than it is. I suspect you have to actively do something to mess it up.
    I've done the same thing you have only, each time I've had to restore my contacts after crashes, it's duplicated them. Currently, I'm running the official Froyo and haven't had any crashes (aside from some applications that don't work) but I have so many duplicate contacts, it's ridiculous. I also use only my Google and Facebook contacts. It never "automatically" joined contacts that were one in the same, I would have to manually do it.
    Currently, even when I do join contacts, most of the time, their pictures don't pop up in the call or text history. It is strange indeed. I haven't rooted, everything is stock. No clue why it's happening but I don't like it.
    Basically, I've got to go through and delete every redundant contact. Complete pain considering there are nearly 3000 entries at this point.

another Pre --> Epic and I'm missing my Pre.

I had duplicate contacts (Facebook and Google) and now it keeps reverting my husband's number from the 10 digit (areacode + phone) to a 7 digit (just phone). I'm frustrated and ready to throw this thing against the wall.

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

I have the same experience where the contacts merged between Google and my corporate exchange contacts nicely. However, my problem is that the phone numbers duplicate themselves. Does anyone know how to get around this?

ROM
    AC!

For the people who misses their Pre Phones, send me all your epics, because you really don't seem to grasp, that when someting is good, is never EASY, because then everyone would have girlfriends :P.
    I've got a friend that has a Pre, and yeah is very simplistic, though is a boring interface, and i believe it lacks the customizations that i adore about android :d

ROM
    AC!

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    another Pre --> Epic and I'm missing my Pre.

I had duplicate contacts (Facebook and Google) and now it keeps reverting my husband's number from the 10 digit (areacode + phone) to a 7 digit (just phone). I'm frustrated and ready to throw this thing against the wall.
    Are all your contacts in Google ? as in , are you syncing only Google Contacts?

ROM
    Stock-ish

Quote Originally Posted by billbryan516 View Post
    I've done the same thing you have only, each time I've had to restore my contacts after crashes, it's duplicated them.
    I don't understand... why are you restoring contacts? I haven't restored any contracts over the life of my phone (and the one before... and my nook...). Once they are in my Google contacts they are always there as soon as I sign into Google the first time.

Sent from my NOOKcolor
    Retired Ambassador

Yeah, I can't for the life of me figure out why you would save contacts to the phone.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

Especially since you didn't do that on the pre either... Cloud synching is good!

I very confused as well.

I have exchange, fb, google all synced, No issues. Pre- to epic here too.

Kikoshi: You never lived with one. You can customize to your hearts content: preware for the win. Just the crappy hardware was an OS killer. That and no promised updates and no promised flash and no promised... well you get the idea. Still OS was great. (ok, is great, but I still don't see a phone worth getting, veer? come on, you're kidding me right)

Default I thought I was the only one...

I'm glad to see some folks who have a genuine love for WebOS. I too came from a Pre (got it on the first day) and migrated to the Epic. The Epic was faster (but it was running with a newer generation processor) and the hardware was awesome. Functionality-wise though, you cannot beat WebOS. I wish, more than anything that Palm chose to license their operating system to Samsung/Sony/HTC so that some beautiful, sturdy hardware can be merged with the functionality and simplicity of WebOS. I like android, but only because I hate iPhone and can't get good hardware with WebOS.