Switch to Nexus S?

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I know it's a long shot, but I'm going to try to get Sprint to swap my Epic for the Nexus S when it comes out. If it weren't for Sprint and Samsung's buggy software and crappy hardware keyboard, I would love this phone 100% and not need anything else for a while (ala the Nexus S). When I got the Epic as a replacement for my 10th (yes 10th) Pre, they offered other phones that were "comparable models". I'm hoping that because the Nexus S and Epic are basically the same phone that maybe I can pay the 150 insurance replacement for the Nexus S. Does anyone here think that's a long shot?

I just got my replacement phone today and the keyboard worked awesome on DI18. When EC05 pushed and installed, the keyboard went to crap. It's so frustrating because I didn't even want a phone with a keyboard in the first place, just wanted to processing power and GPU of the Galaxy S devices.

Reactions: JonOvalle

drekosh

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I never had a problem with the keyboard. That's actually why I got the Epic.

As for getting a swap for the Nexus S....good luck.
Doesn't matter the phones are basically the same thing. The Nexus is new and the Epic isn't. To Sprint that is all that matters. I'm not saying you can't find a store to do it, but I don't think as a company they are going to support that happening.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I never had a problem with the keyboard. That's actually why I got the Epic.

As for getting a swap for the Nexus S....good luck.
Doesn't matter the phones are basically the same thing. The Nexus is new and the Epic isn't. To Sprint that is all that matters. I'm not saying you can't find a store to do it, but I don't think as a company they are going to support that happening.

This is my fourth Epic, and keyboard skipping letters was always a problem, but not so bad that I wanted to throw the phone against a wall. Maybe I just type too fast, but I can type just as fast on all my other old phones with keyboard with no problems. And what I meant as far as the swap goes was calling customer service and letting them know how unsatisfied I have been with all of my replacement phones' keyboards. That's how I got them to let me upgrade early from the Pre --> Epic. If it weren't for T-Mobile's crappy network I would drop Sprint and go to them in a heartbeat for that Nexus S.

Reactions: JonOvalle

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
The keyboard skipping letters is a known problem. There is actually a fix available if you're rooted. I'm using it now and it has made my keyboard many times more usable.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Will do....thanks.

Even if it works, I'm still gonna go for that Nexus S no matter how hard I have to struggle with Sprint. It's ridiculous the amount of work we have to put in to get basic functions and features to work properly, as sprint and samsung sit around and expect us to just be stupid consumers and not notice anything wrong

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I hope this is a new trend - Google releasing its Nexus phones on CDMA carriers. If so I might pick up a Nexus 3.

eze036

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
if you tell insurance company you have many issues with phone they may swap to another device..idk if itll be the nexus depends of they have in the same class...it worked with me when i had a htc6800 and they send me a touch pro2 all i had pay is $100

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I thought the nexus S doesn't have a memory card.... that might be a deal breaker to some. No camera button is kinda a drag. The hardest thing to get a hang of? The crazy layout of the capacitive buttons! LOL!

dominick

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have none of the noted keyboard problems (skipping, etc), but I do have a HUGE gripe to Samsung: WHY WOULD YOU PLACE THE FN KEY ABOVE THE SHIFT KEY, CONTRARY TO EVERY COMPUTER KEYBOARD?!?

/rant over

cheers/dom

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone have sound specifications on how much this phone has for APPLICATION data storage? I'm really hating the Epic's small allotment (despite App2SD) and if Nexus has a significantly larger partition, I'd seriously consider switching.

SandersJC1964

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone have sound specifications on how much this phone has for APPLICATION data storage? I'm really hating the Epic's small allotment (despite App2SD) and if Nexus has a significantly larger partition, I'd seriously consider switching.

Not sure how many apps you have installed, but I'm coming from an Optimus S, and I would hardly call the app storage small. I have practically everything installed on my Epic that I had on my Optimus, and still have 70% free, or about 350MB. I was dancing for joy if I had 20MB free on my Optimus. I think out of the box there's around 460MB give or take for app storage.

frankwhite8536

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
someone mentioned that the honeycomb virtual keyboard is nice from the market. I tried it and I use it all the time now. I rarely use the physical keyboard. And that's really why I went with the Epic.

footysr

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
someone mentioned that the honeycomb virtual keyboard is nice from the market. I tried it and I use it all the time now. I rarely use the physical keyboard. And that's really why I went with the Epic.

I don't hate the keyboard, I just don't use it. I find that I prefer the virtual and would certainly move to the Nexus S.

Frank I'm not seeing that keyboard listed. I've been running SwiftKey and it pretty much finishes sentences for you. ;)

JonOvalle

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
This is my fourth Epic, and keyboard skipping letters was always a problem, but not so bad that I wanted to throw the phone against a wall. Maybe I just type too fast, but I can type just as fast on all my other old phones with keyboard with no problems. And what I meant as far as the swap goes was calling customer service and letting them know how unsatisfied I have been with all of my replacement phones' keyboards. That's how I got them to let me upgrade early from the Pre --> Epic. If it weren't for T-Mobile's crappy network I would drop Sprint and go to them in a heartbeat for that Nexus S.

Im having the same problem man. its annoying. Im mostly annoyed now days to the new update actually slowing my phone down big time + reseting itself + the general bad GPS. btw, im on the 3rd reset after the update. Samsung, its not fair that you make s products, and sprint, youre an a for selling overpriced pricey products without the best service to back it up.
--Jon, a very dissatisfied customer :(

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I thought the nexus S doesn't have a memory card.... that might be a deal breaker to some. No camera button is kinda a drag. The hardest thing to get a hang of? The crazy layout of the capacitive buttons! LOL!

Pretty much my thoughts right here. Especially about the capacitive buttons, that's one thing Google should've put their foot down on and standardized across the board.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX