Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Switch to Nexus S?

I know it's a long shot, but I'm going to try to get Sprint to swap my Epic for the Nexus S when it comes out. If it weren't for Sprint and Samsung's buggy software and crappy hardware keyboard, I would love this phone 100% and not need anything else for a while (ala the Nexus S). When I got the Epic as a replacement for my 10th (yes 10th) Pre, they offered other phones that were "comparable models". I'm hoping that because the Nexus S and Epic are basically the same phone that maybe I can pay the 150 insurance replacement for the Nexus S. Does anyone here think that's a long shot?

I just got my replacement phone today and the keyboard worked awesome on DI18. When EC05 pushed and installed, the keyboard went to crap. It's so frustrating because I didn't even want a phone with a keyboard in the first place, just wanted to processing power and GPU of the Galaxy S devices.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9 Beta 2

I never had a problem with the keyboard. That's actually why I got the Epic.

As for getting a swap for the Nexus S....good luck.
    Doesn't matter the phones are basically the same thing. The Nexus is new and the Epic isn't. To Sprint that is all that matters. I'm not saying you can't find a store to do it, but I don't think as a company they are going to support that happening.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by drekosh View Post
    I never had a problem with the keyboard. That's actually why I got the Epic.

As for getting a swap for the Nexus S....good luck.
    Doesn't matter the phones are basically the same thing. The Nexus is new and the Epic isn't. To Sprint that is all that matters. I'm not saying you can't find a store to do it, but I don't think as a company they are going to support that happening.
    This is my fourth Epic, and keyboard skipping letters was always a problem, but not so bad that I wanted to throw the phone against a wall. Maybe I just type too fast, but I can type just as fast on all my other old phones with keyboard with no problems. And what I meant as far as the swap goes was calling customer service and letting them know how unsatisfied I have been with all of my replacement phones' keyboards. That's how I got them to let me upgrade early from the Pre --> Epic. If it weren't for T-Mobile's crappy network I would drop Sprint and go to them in a heartbeat for that Nexus S.
    Thanked by:

The keyboard skipping letters is a known problem. There is actually a fix available if you're rooted. I'm using it now and it has made my keyboard many times more usable.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    The keyboard skipping letters is a known problem. There is actually a fix available if you're rooted. I'm using it now and it has made my keyboard many times more usable.
    The fix was incorporated into a midnight ROM I tried prior to EC05 and it didn't help any...

I remember the fix needed some tuning before it was working correctly. Might want to give it another shot.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Will do....thanks.

Even if it works, I'm still gonna go for that Nexus S no matter how hard I have to struggle with Sprint. It's ridiculous the amount of work we have to put in to get basic functions and features to work properly, as sprint and samsung sit around and expect us to just be stupid consumers and not notice anything wrong

I hope this is a new trend - Google releasing its Nexus phones on CDMA carriers. If so I might pick up a Nexus 3.

Global Posts
    378 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

if you tell insurance company you have many issues with phone they may swap to another device..idk if itll be the nexus depends of they have in the same class...it worked with me when i had a htc6800 and they send me a touch pro2 all i had pay is $100

I thought the nexus S doesn't have a memory card.... that might be a deal breaker to some. No camera button is kinda a drag. The hardest thing to get a hang of? The crazy layout of the capacitive buttons! LOL!

ROM
    Stock 4.4

I have none of the noted keyboard problems (skipping, etc), but I do have a HUGE gripe to Samsung: WHY WOULD YOU PLACE THE FN KEY ABOVE THE SHIFT KEY, CONTRARY TO EVERY COMPUTER KEYBOARD?!?

/rant over

cheers/dom

ROM
    Marcusant v2 MTD, Samurai

Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    The fix was incorporated into a midnight ROM I tried prior to EC05 and it didn't help any...
    I'm 99% sure the keyboard fix is also incorporated in the SyndicateROM... for me it made a huge difference. Skipped keys went from ~1 in 5 to about ~1 in 25.

Does anyone have sound specifications on how much this phone has for APPLICATION data storage? I'm really hating the Epic's small allotment (despite App2SD) and if Nexus has a significantly larger partition, I'd seriously consider switching.

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    ROM
    Full Stock

Quote Originally Posted by brandonc View Post
    Does anyone have sound specifications on how much this phone has for APPLICATION data storage? I'm really hating the Epic's small allotment (despite App2SD) and if Nexus has a significantly larger partition, I'd seriously consider switching.
    Not sure how many apps you have installed, but I'm coming from an Optimus S, and I would hardly call the app storage small. I have practically everything installed on my Epic that I had on my Optimus, and still have 70% free, or about 350MB. I was dancing for joy if I had 20MB free on my Optimus. I think out of the box there's around 460MB give or take for app storage.

someone mentioned that the honeycomb virtual keyboard is nice from the market. I tried it and I use it all the time now. I rarely use the physical keyboard. And that's really why I went with the Epic.

Impaled! Tip for a better keyboard - xda-developers
    Try this out if you're having problems with keyboard skipping. You must be on a current EC05 ROM to use it.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frankwhite8536 View Post
    someone mentioned that the honeycomb virtual keyboard is nice from the market. I tried it and I use it all the time now. I rarely use the physical keyboard. And that's really why I went with the Epic.
    I don't hate the keyboard, I just don't use it. I find that I prefer the virtual and would certainly move to the Nexus S.

Frank I'm not seeing that keyboard listed. I've been running SwiftKey and it pretty much finishes sentences for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    This is my fourth Epic, and keyboard skipping letters was always a problem, but not so bad that I wanted to throw the phone against a wall. Maybe I just type too fast, but I can type just as fast on all my other old phones with keyboard with no problems. And what I meant as far as the swap goes was calling customer service and letting them know how unsatisfied I have been with all of my replacement phones' keyboards. That's how I got them to let me upgrade early from the Pre --> Epic. If it weren't for T-Mobile's crappy network I would drop Sprint and go to them in a heartbeat for that Nexus S.
    Im having the same problem man. its annoying. Im mostly annoyed now days to the new update actually slowing my phone down big time + reseting itself + the general bad GPS. btw, im on the 3rd reset after the update. Samsung, its not fair that you make s products, and sprint, youre an a for selling overpriced pricey products without the best service to back it up.
    --Jon, a very dissatisfied customer

Quote Originally Posted by frankwhite8536 View Post
    nothing comes up on the Market if i type in Honeycomb virtual keyboard.

ROM
    ACS SyndicateROM Frozen

Quote Originally Posted by brandonc View Post
    I thought the nexus S doesn't have a memory card.... that might be a deal breaker to some. No camera button is kinda a drag. The hardest thing to get a hang of? The crazy layout of the capacitive buttons! LOL!
    Pretty much my thoughts right here. Especially about the capacitive buttons, that's one thing Google should've put their foot down on and standardized across the board.

Global Posts
    129 Global Posts

Default Worth the upgrade to Nexus S 4g?

Hey all, I have an EPIC right now since launch day. It is amazing and I do like it.

This isnt your typical "Should i update to nexus S" because my situation is different.

My situation is that my mom just got an EPIC and I was thinking of returning it for the Nexus S and then swapping phones with her. This will make it so the nexus costs me 200, which I would have spent towards her epic anyways(her epic cost me a 100 actually). So basically it would cost me 200 or 100(depends on how you see it) to get a nexus.(100 would be spent for an epic anyways, instead would we be spent towards nexus).

Is it worth the hassle of returning her epic and while keeping her number active and new line status active(tmobile transfer) on my epic while i switch to a old sprint phone to get a nexus s when its available?

Are there amazing roms for the Nexus S? If i were paying 600 to get a nexus s I wouldnt do it b/c the epic is nexus s are very similar. However my situation is different and i get a thinner phone and first updates! any other benefits you people can tell me about the nexus s over the epic? A draw back is that i would lose HD recording

ROM
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

The way I look at it. You have to ask yourself....do I want pure Android? Is the answer is yes than get the Nexus. :-D

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    If by some chance I helped you out, please be so kind as to hit that thanks button. You'd be a lot cooler if you did.

I'm not sure if the upgrade will be worth it. Specs wise they are the same phone with the exception that your Epic has a physical keyboard. I have never used touch wiz, but it doesn't look that bad. Personal opinion, I think vanilla Android is overrated.

To the OP, if you son like the physical keyboard and really don't want to use a physical keyboard anyway, then why not just use the virtual keyboard and wait to see if there is a software fix down the line?

ROM
    Codename 2.0 RC/Matr1x 19

the gingerbread keyboard that came with midNIGHT ROM is the first virtual kb that I actually don't hate and don't mind using. I do sometimes actually prefer it for certain things, but I love having the dedcated number row and arrow keys of the hard kb, so I use them both quite a bit depending on what I'm doing. SINCE i started using custom ROMS/kernals that all have the lag fix built in I have had zero issus with skipped keys.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast