1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default PRL and profile updates

My wife has her 3rd new Epic from Sprint. All three have had a problem with updating the profile and plr. Today after spending an our on the phone with sprint level 2 support they bricked her phone by sending some update to it. She was then told to take it to the Sprint corporate store to run a test and if they couldnt fix it the store was told to give her a new EVO. We went to the store they did the test but the PLR and Profile still would not update. Store would not fix phone. Long story short Sprint management is sending a EVO today. My question is can anyone with any version of android update. Sprint says no. But I have not read where that is a problem. Thank you

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

since ec05, they have messed this up. no ones epic should update prl... maybe i can get an evo out of this, too. I have had issues with my phone since EC05.

Quote Originally Posted by rcollins001 View Post
    My wife has her 3rd new Epic from Sprint. All three have had a problem with updating the profile and plr. Today after spending an our on the phone with sprint level 2 support they bricked her phone by sending some update to it. She was then told to take it to the Sprint corporate store to run a test and if they couldnt fix it the store was told to give her a new EVO. We went to the store they did the test but the PLR and Profile still would not update. Store would not fix phone. Long story short Sprint management is sending a EVO today. My question is can anyone with any version of android update. Sprint says no. But I have not read where that is a problem. Thank you
    I never had a problem updating in the past..

Of course I'm rooted and run custom ROMs. I just checked and I'm running EC05 Froyo, rooted on a custom ROM and PRL and Profile update as expected.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    I never had a problem updating in the past..

Of course I'm rooted and run custom ROMs. I just checked and I'm running EC05 Froyo, rooted on a custom ROM and PRL and Profile update as expected.
    Wait, so it worked for you? When I went to the store, the clerk said that no one's epic was updating the profile/prl properly since the update (could have been a general statement). He seemed just as knowledgeable as me so i took him for his word literally. We tried a few things, but it still doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ruffolo View Post
    Wait, so it worked for you? When I went to the store, the clerk said that no one's epic was updating the profile/prl properly since the update (could have been a general statement). He seemed just as knowledgeable as me so i took him for his word literally. We tried a few things, but it still doesn't work.

Come on Andrew, you've been around these boards long enough are you honestly believing those people down at Sprint? LOL...

Good enough?

Custom ROMs baby, they just never stop impressing me...
    Paul

ROM
    SyndicateROM Frozen 1.1

Mine worked also. But I am running a Custom ROM also.

Here's a noob question, PRL obviously affects the radio, but what does it stand for and what does it do exactly? Profile too..

Thanks.
    Wes

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Come on Andrew, you've been around these boards long enough are you honestly believing those people down at Sprint? LOL...

Good enough?

Custom ROMs baby, they just never stop impressing me...
    I have, but I odin'd back to stock EC05 to go to the sprint store to see what they could do about me not having service in my apartment and at work.

Edit, son of a B@#$$ it started working again. ODD... Another odd note is that the PRL is now 60676... it was having issues before when I was on 60677. Very strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ruffolo View Post
    I have, but I odin'd back to stock EC05 to go to the sprint store to see what they could do about me not having service in my apartment and at work.

Edit, son of a B@#$$ it started working again. ODD

LOL... I dunno what the deal is with stock.. Custom has never failed me, DK28/EB13/EC05 always had no problems with PRL/Profile updates when I did check them out for the users. I don't believe in messing with it personally..

@WesR6, it updates the PRL (Perferred Roaming Lists) for Sprint and the towers that they use. Its only updated everyone once in a while, its not like its a weekly update or anything...
    Paul

I was having a problem with my Epic where it wouldn't update the prl or profile. It was on prl 60677.
    I wiped the phone with odin and formatted the sd card to no avail.
    I took it in for service and no matter what they tried they couldn't get it update. It would get unknown error,internal error, error 34, connection error. They did a full reset on the phone and then it was having problems with the data part activating. I could make voice calls but not text or use the internet. If you tried to finish activating the phone it would just fail.
    They ended up replacing the phone, the new phone has prl 60675. Now the prl/profile will update with no errors. Now that its updating without errors it not getting any newer version then 60676.
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by WesR6 View Post
    Mine worked also. But I am running a Custom ROM also.

Here's a noob question, PRL obviously affects the radio, but what does it stand for and what does it do exactly? Profile too..

Thanks.
    Wes
    I can't believe people are still worried about a damned PRL update. The PRL (preferred roaming list) is nothing more than a list of towers belonging to OTHER phone carriers so you can roam and connect to their towers.

There is probably nothing wrong with your phone. My phone sometimes will update and sometimes won't. It has more to do with Sprints network than your phone. From what I have been told their prl updates are not even pushed out 24/7 as it takes up bandwidth. It's entirely hit or miss if you get prl updates.

BTW... Prl updates have NOTHING to do with getting any of the system updates.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by keithvetter View Post
    I can't believe people are still worried about a damned PRL update. The PRL (preferred roaming list) is nothing more than a list of towers belonging to OTHER phone carriers so you can roam and connect to their towers.

There is probably nothing wrong with your phone. My phone sometimes will update and sometimes won't. It has more to do with Sprints network than your phone. From what I have been told their prl updates are not even pushed out 24/7 as it takes up bandwidth. It's entirely hit or miss if you get prl updates.

I wasn't worried about the PRL update, what really caused me to bring in my phone was the fact that the firmware or profile wouldn't update.
    This was happening to me around the time they started pushing out EC05 to the phones. I tried updating the one day and I was getting errors (internal error, error 33, connection error, unknown error) no matter what I tried so I took it in to the Sprint store.
    The tech determined that phone was faulty and replaced it.
    Last edited by Dvin211; 04-12-2011 at 11:50 AM.

LOL.. Sorry I just can't help it.. I just love how Sprints answer to everything is either a Factory Wipe/Hard Reset or replace the phone because its faulty...

Maybe they should come to the forums and start asking some of us if we want a job at their stores, at least then they have a better chance of getting someone in there that actually knows something....

Edit: Sorry I don't mean to poke fun and anyone I just really think it shows that these places (any carrier) need to look more into the people they hire and maybe redefine their techniques for troubleshooting. I've been to the Sprint store enough times over the last few months and its really a joke how much they push off on simply a bad/defective phone or cure all problems with a factory restore/hard reset. The factory restore/hard resets only cure the problem for a few hours, maybe a few days then these same people are back at Sprint, waiting in line again...

Maybe they should spend a little time hitting these forums and reading the fixes and work arounds we have discovered and they might actually make a few more customers happy.

I'm not saying there isn't a such thing as a defective phone, but I'm sure more "good" phone have been turned in as defects when all it took was someone with a little "know how" to get it working correctly.
    Last edited by Paul627g; 04-12-2011 at 12:02 PM.
    Paul

LOL.. Sorry I just can't help it.. I just love how Sprints answer to everything is either a Factory Wipe/Hard Reset or replace the phone because its faulty...

Maybe they should come to the forums and start asking some of us if we want a job at their stores, at least then they have a better chance of getting someone in there that actually knows something....
    I totally agree on that. I tried everything I could think of before I brought it in for service.
    I wiped x3 formatted the sd card then used oden to revert the phone back to dk18. Nothing I did made any difference.
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Dvin211 View Post
    I wasn't worried about the PRL update, what really caused me to bring in my phone was the fact that the firmware or profile wouldn't update.
    This was happening to me around the time they started pushing out EC05 to the phones. I tried updating the one day and I was getting errors (internal error, error 33, connection error, unknown error) no matter what I tried so I took it in to the Sprint store.
    The tech determined that phone was faulty and replaced it.
    Firmware, profile, none of those updates have anything to do with the system updates that get pushed to your phone. usually none of them work on my phone either but I still get the updates pushed to my phones.

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

This is a BIG DEAL for me since I recently moved and am roaming at home and at work. I'm hoping that one of these updates will let me text while roaming at work. I can do everything else (data, receive text, make and receive calls) but send a text. It fails. PRL would be what fixes this issue if Sprint ever gets a deal going with VZW in my hospital. I will probably end up switching to vzw over it.
    Retired Ambassador

Yep... Cases like yours are the only reason to need theses updates to work. However, in the past 6 months I have only had 1 prl update. But that doesn't mean you won't have several. Prl updates are area specific. Because I got an update in texas doesn't mean you will get one in NY. Good luck.

Andrew, if you can't text while on roaming, you won't be able to. That is solely up to the carrier whose tower your using if you'll be able to use services like SMS and Data. It's up to whatever agreement that Sprint and that carrier has worked out, and more often then not, those are strictly voice only.

Global Posts
    1,095 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock - but Rooted

I'll defend Sprint, I am probably the only one. Being a computer geek (not a phone geek still learning) - It is difficult for any phone geek or noob no matter how well versed to know every combination of mod out there that you can do to your Epic - let alone if the person who did the mod to his phone even did the mod correctly thru his own fault, a bad downloaded flash, or just simply flash that didn't take hold properly. With that being said without wasting time, what is the best course of action since they don't have the time to browes the hundreds of different combinations that a user could have.

Nothing against your expertise, but I bet you don't know how to fix everyones problems with every mod combination and user screw ups - so if my bet is correct, then I bet again, you would just say oh heck, lets start clean and start over and do it right - now with that being said, if you only had to worry about just a few customer problems, then maybe - but there are more than just a few customers, and they all want it fixed now in 30 minutes or less.

Edit: Sorry I don't mean to poke fun and anyone I just really think it shows that these places (any carrier) need to look more into the people they hire and maybe redefine their techniques for troubleshooting. I've been to the Sprint store enough times over the last few months and its really a joke how much they push off on simply a bad/defective phone or cure all problems with a factory restore/hard reset. The factory restore/hard resets only cure the problem for a few hours, maybe a few days then these same people are back at Sprint, waiting in line again...
    With some many customers complaining of bad phones with different combos of mods, it is hard to control, because customers always tell lies, or white lies or forget to tell what they did to their phone - so many times I will ask a person what they did to their computer when it died or crapped itself out and they always say they didn't do anything different, only to find out later that they loaded some off the wall software or clicked on some screwed up link, etc to screw their system up.

Maybe they should spend a little time hitting these forums and reading the fixes and work arounds we have discovered and they might actually make a few more customers happy.
    If the Sprint Tech were to cruise this forum, SDX, XDA, and a mulitude of other forums out there and learn every combination of mods possible for the epic, plus take calls to fix them would be just an impossible job - now add too that they have to know how to fix all the other Android phones out there with every different version of OS on it, any mods that are particular to their phone - I mean an Evo doesn't use the same rom or kernels that the epics do - talk about hard - yikes!!!

Thats why large organizations buy the same workstation for their employees - it is easier to support

I'm not saying there isn't a such thing as a defective phone, but I'm sure more "good" phone have been turned in as defects when all it took was someone with a little "know how" to get it working correctly.
    I agree with you, there are a lot of good and bad phones. It would take more than a little know how to fix PalmOS, Android with its many versions of their OS, and a multitude of different Android phones out there and even more mods that Dev's put out there and glitches that can happen with their non final always beta versions depending on when the phone user used what version to do the mod.

Whew longest response I have done in a long time , especially defending Sprint - no I do not work for Sprint in any form or fashion. Yes there are bad Sprint Techs as there would be in any organization, but there are more people out there that should not even attempt to do any mod to their phone especially if it is their daily driver. I mean how many people drive cars, I doubt that they could all be top race car drivers.

Sorry, I just had to defend Sprint since everyone feels they are a hosed company - Bottom line, they are the best bang for the buck in my area for service. I guarantee there will be people who bought a Sprint phone because they liked that particular phone and didn't bother to see if their service would be good in their area - then when it is not they blame the phone and the company - now add to the fact that they think a mod will make their phone perform better and fix their problem - I mean heck, if you bought a desiel fuel car and in your area they only had gas stations - I doubt that would be a smart move - yet that is what they are doing.

Ok, I'm done - sorry again, I do not mean to demean anyone, but there are a lot of stupid users out there, probably more than the Sprint Techs, because if there weren't stupid people out there, there would be less demand for stupid techs!
    Samsung Galaxy S3 (tweaked and rooted)
    Samsung Epic 4G (retired rooted backup)
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    Apple iPad 3 (yes, I have one of those also)
    For all mobile devices

Oh my! I rooted my SGS3!
    Rock Solid and Perfect!
    Retired Ambassador

That's why my phone is mod free...

Got the epic yesterday. Im an evo person myself. I was on phone over an hour with sprint activating the epic. As for the firmware update my phone wouldnt do it, but says it has it. The reason sprint said is about a month ago bad firmware was being sent out. This was causing phones to act crazy , text people , make calls etc... My evo started doing that as well even though it had custom myn 2.2 . Some phones had to be replaced as they couldnt get the software out. Don't know why they couldnt. So needless to say no firmware updates til they fix the software. On a side note my friends iphone 4 started acting like my evo only worse around the same time, even though hes on verizon and Im sprint. Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by mouseglider View Post
    I'll defend Sprint, I am probably the only one. Being a computer geek (not a phone geek still learning) - It is difficult for any phone geek or noob no matter how well versed to know every combination of mod out there that you can do to your Epic - let alone if the person who did the mod to his phone even did the mod correctly thru his own fault, a bad downloaded flash, or just simply flash that didn't take hold properly. With that being said without wasting time, what is the best course of action since they don't have the time to browes the hundreds of different combinations that a user could have.

Nothing against your expertise, but I bet you don't know how to fix everyones problems with every mod combination and user screw ups - so if my bet is correct, then I bet again, you would just say oh heck, lets start clean and start over and do it right - now with that being said, if you only had to worry about just a few customer problems, then maybe - but there are more than just a few customers, and they all want it fixed now in 30 minutes or less.

With some many customers complaining of bad phones with different combos of mods, it is hard to control, because customers always tell lies, or white lies or forget to tell what they did to their phone - so many times I will ask a person what they did to their computer when it died or crapped itself out and they always say they didn't do anything different, only to find out later that they loaded some off the wall software or clicked on some screwed up link, etc to screw their system up.

If the Sprint Tech were to cruise this forum, SDX, XDA, and a mulitude of other forums out there and learn every combination of mods possible for the epic, plus take calls to fix them would be just an impossible job - now add too that they have to know how to fix all the other Android phones out there with every different version of OS on it, any mods that are particular to their phone - I mean an Evo doesn't use the same rom or kernels that the epics do - talk about hard - yikes!!!

Thats why large organizations buy the same workstation for their employees - it is easier to support

I agree with you, there are a lot of good and bad phones. It would take more than a little know how to fix PalmOS, Android with its many versions of their OS, and a multitude of different Android phones out there and even more mods that Dev's put out there and glitches that can happen with their non final always beta versions depending on when the phone user used what version to do the mod.

Whew longest response I have done in a long time , especially defending Sprint - no I do not work for Sprint in any form or fashion. Yes there are bad Sprint Techs as there would be in any organization, but there are more people out there that should not even attempt to do any mod to their phone especially if it is their daily driver. I mean how many people drive cars, I doubt that they could all be top race car drivers.

Sorry, I just had to defend Sprint since everyone feels they are a hosed company - Bottom line, they are the best bang for the buck in my area for service. I guarantee there will be people who bought a Sprint phone because they liked that particular phone and didn't bother to see if their service would be good in their area - then when it is not they blame the phone and the company - now add to the fact that they think a mod will make their phone perform better and fix their problem - I mean heck, if you bought a desiel fuel car and in your area they only had gas stations - I doubt that would be a smart move - yet that is what they are doing.

Ok, I'm done - sorry again, I do not mean to demean anyone, but there are a lot of stupid users out there, probably more than the Sprint Techs, because if there weren't stupid people out there, there would be less demand for stupid techs!

Hey thats fine, I knew someone would take the time to tear apart my post.. LOL.

Anyways I don't expect any one person to know all the mods, etc. to fix things as I don't myself but I do think all carriers should really take a bit more time to maybe consider having their main tech support people look around at many of the common fixes and then they can implement those into their "first line of defense" sorta speak. I just hate seeing the usual wipe and reset as a fix to everything. Especially when even the customer, regardless of skill level knows many times this won't fix their problem.

I'm not singling out Sprint even though it may seem that way, all carriers have their ups and downs, good and bad.. I really feel that the carriers all of them have leap frogged way to quick from one OS to the next. Many are left "holding the ball" with broken OS's and many in serious need of updates to fix many common bugs that could be easily addressed. They chose not to and move forward on pushing out the next new device and OS on the block...

To some dropping a few hundred bucks every 6 months, 1 yr whatever may not be a big issue to get the newest device. To many especially with todays economy you kind of expect your device to last a bit longer with better support. Today it seems like you buy the latest new released device and before you even get a case/screen protector, etc. purchased for it the same device is being replaced by something new. Good business for the carriers/device makers but hard on the consumer.

Last I know there are Sprint or carrier techs in general that are decent at their job and actually take the time to learn and support the devices they sell. There is also a good percent that simply are hired because they have good sales skills or know how to take apart a device and put it back together but that's where it ends.. They don't educate themselves on the products they sell/repair and that shouldn't happen today when you have many qualified people that could fill those positions much better. (Not selling myself here, I would be a horrible sales rep.. LOL.. )

Thanks for the comments, I do enjoy getting into a bit of a debate now and then.. At least it shows someone takes the time to read what I'm typing out..
    Last edited by Paul627g; 04-13-2011 at 12:55 PM.
    Paul