Samsung Epic 4G Gingerbread confirmed - Android 2.3 ED12

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
It's been 2 weeks already - any updates on when we might actually get GB ?

Who knows?

As we've seen in the past, any announcement is just that. It's pointless to speculate when it might be released. It might even be released and then pulled shortly thereafter...gee, that's never happened before.:confused:

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm not holding my breath. Will they get it out before people start hitting their one years and start replacing their Epic's? Once they roll it out will they pull it back halfway because its buggy, bastardizing half of the users in the process?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Lol you guys are dying for another update and I'm trying to get sprint to reinstall eclair on my phone.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Lol you guys are dying for another update and I'm trying to get sprint to reinstall eclair on my phone.

I hear the Samsung Moment runs the heck out of Eclair, sure you could pick up one of those for cheap.

On the update/GB subject, why wouldn't we want another update? That is all the talk now, all the devices new and old are sporting or getting GB.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I hear the Samsung Moment runs the heck out of Eclair, sure you could pick up one of those for cheap.

On the update/GB subject, why wouldn't we want another update? That is all the talk now, all the devices new and old are sporting or getting GB.

I already have an epic. It of course started out with eclair and ran great. Everything about the phone worked better with Eclair than it does with froyo.

My 3g speed has decreased from 800 kbps to 45-98 kbps. According to sprint, this is a direct result of the froyo update.

I can no longer turn off geo tagging in the camera settings. Direct result of Froyo.

Apps that worked with eclair no longer work with froyo.

Time without signal bug not fixed with Froyo.

Now lets find out what I got with the Froyo update...

The ability to move some apps to the sd card. (I have never used this for a single app)

Flash player in the browser. Again, because of the substantial loss in 3g speed, the flash player can't even be used.

So I lost alot more than I gained when my phone was updated to froyo.

So do you really want to reply with the why wouldn't I want to update to gingerbread statement?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I already have an epic. It of course started out with eclair and ran great. Everything about the phone worked better with Eclair than it does with froyo.

My 3g speed has decreased from 800 kbps to 45-98 kbps. According to sprint, this is a direct result of the froyo update.

I can no longer turn off geo tagging in the camera settings. Direct result of Froyo.

The ability to move some apps to the sd card. (I have never used this for a single app)

Flash player in the browser. Again, because of the substantial loss in 3g speed, the flash player can't even be used.

So do you really want to reply with the why wouldn't I want to update to gingerbread statement?

Your data issues most likely won't be solved by going back to Eclair (which I can help you do from home if you'd like). Sprint is losing a lot of its contracted towers. If you've updated your PRL, unfortunately, that doesn't go backwards when you roll back to eclair. It can be rolled back manually, but it isn't covered on this website. If you really want to roll back to Eclair, you will lose everything currently on the phone, but its easy, quick and otherwise painless. If you want to save the apps, you can do so with root-- titanium backup--eclair--root--titanium restore, otherwise those will not be saved.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

I understand your frustrations Keith. Its a shame such issues exist and have impacted the use of the device for those who choose to run stock. I guess that is why the devs and custom ROMs are such a big hit these days because of what they fix/resolve that Sammy/Sprint left for you and others to deal with when running stock. That's your choice and your entitled to that.

Unfortunately I really don't think Sprint is going to roll back the device for you because now the official build is EC05 Froyo and that is what they support. You do have the option of manually returning to Eclair but I know your feelings on that subject so I won't go there.

I do have one bright bit of news, those who are running the leaked GB for Epic have reported it runs very well, speed and performance on regular RFS filesystem is reported to be very snappy and almost act like it was running on EXT4/overclocked from what I've been told. It sounds like Gingerbread has been optimized for the Epic 4g a lot better than they did with Froyo. So hopefully that will breathe hope for a good build come release time.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I understand your frustrations Keith. Its a shame such issues exist and have impacted the use of the device for those who choose to run stock. I guess that is why the devs and custom ROMs are such a big hit these days because of what they fix/resolve that Sammy/Sprint left for you and others to deal with when running stock. That's your choice and your entitled to that.

Unfortunately I really don't think Sprint is going to roll back the device for you because now the official build is EC05 Froyo and that is what they support. You do have the option of manually returning to Eclair but I know your feelings on that subject so I won't go there.

I do have one bright bit of news, those who are running the leaked GB for Epic have reported it runs very well, speed and performance on regular RFS filesystem is reported to be very snappy and almost act like it was running on EXT4/overclocked from what I've been told. It sounds like Gingerbread has been optimized for the Epic 4g a lot better than they did with Froyo. So hopefully that will breathe hope for a good build come release time.

So do the developers have the issue of poor 3g speeds fixed?

I'm being told by sprint, it's a driver problem with froyo. I however, feel it is an issue with their network and towers.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
So do the developers have the issue of poor 3g speeds fixed?

I'm being told by sprint, it's a driver problem with froyo. I however, feel it is an issue with their network and towers.

Its definately better on custom ROMs. k0nane (lead programmer) of ACS/Syndicate Frozen ROM has gone in and removed all throttling and anything slows down data. So yes when you hear our Sprint CEO talking in his latest commercial about data throttling and all those other comments that Sprint supposedly doesn't take part in to slow our performance ( ALL LIES... hehe)

Anyways its not perfect but 3g/4g data speeds are better on custom due to k0nane going in and removing all these methods of controlling data speeds to maximize it for us.

Last I heard after EC05 was released, Sprint did go to Sammy and talk about the EC05 modem not performing as expected and it was expected an update would surface to fix this but as you can see Gingerbread is on the radar now for Sprint/Sammy so I think what we have with EC05 is the best your going to get for Froyo at this moment... I really can't see them working on a Froyo update if they are working on getting Gingerbread out...

Reactions: 5dadd7

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae