Wifi Battery Drain

lancelot916

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm running midNIGHT 5.2 on EC05. Has anyone experienced significant battery drain due to wifi? is there a new setting we should use? I think on EB13 and before people suggested setting wifi sleep policy to never. But it seems this might be causing my battery drain.

yesterday, with wifi ON but not connected, I went from 75% to 9% in 2 hours. the battery said wifi took up 93% of my battery.

On normal days it accounts for a good 15%. is this normal? is there a new sleep policy setting I should use?

bender29

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed the same thing.. Did you manage to investigate further?

prior to EC05, wifi sleep was set to Never, and had acceptable wifi battery drain.

After EC05 (stock or custom rom), wifi takes up a big chunk of battery life. This is even if I have a wifi connection (as I do in the office).

I will probably try wifi sleep after 15 minutes after I have some more data on current behavior. The problem is the 3g signal is poor in the office, so it I wouldn't think it'd help much.

lancelot916

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
i never figured it out, but i ended up getting Juice Defender Ultra. it says it's $5+ on market but when you hit purchase it's actually $3.49. not sure why it does that.

anyway, now my battery is pretty good. it turns off wifi automatically when not in use and you can customize what you still want running. the bad thing is that since EC05 and perhaps my ROM installation, wifi sometimes has some issues turning on once it's off (I think it's ROM specific). most of the time it's okay, but sometimes it's annoying.

You can make JD never turn off wifi for home use (specify which network is home) if you want also. JD will also turn off data when phone is in sleep but again you can specify apps you want to still use data when in sleep if you want. It's a great app, the only one i actually paid money for so i'd recommend it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox