1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    356 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock TW FH13 ICS 4.0.4

Default Is the Epic 4G a world phone?

i see an option in the settings for international dialing in the settings. This phone can be used in different countries?

No, it's not a world phone. You can dial anyone in the world from the USA but you can't roam on European networks as there's no GSM radio.

Some places do have CDMA but they're few and far between.

To add what dchawk81 said,
    A true world phone would have a GSM chip set that covers 900mhz and 1.8ghz.(1800mhz) Thats for over seas, in the US we use 800mhz (sometimes labeled 850mhz) and 1900mhz. If you see a device labled as Quad Band GSM then it covers the 2 bands in the US and the 2 bands found in the rest of the world. Most ATT / TMOBILE devices have these capabilities due to them already having GSM chipset in them. Sprint and Verizon are CDMA 800/1900mhz.
    DropBox lets you sync files across Android, iOS, and Desktop Computers. Sign up for free, install, get me and you extra space! DropBox
    Twitter @AndroidTechGuy and @IAmSixNine
    Google+Google+

I keep a POS BB Tour around for work in Europe. Many places in Asia have or are getting CDMA. Now with the Google integrations that situation should work out great.

Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 alpha 1

Default wi-fi?

could you use phone in Europe when you have wi-fi connection?
    Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean people aren't after you.

ROM
    Stock

I think 4G is also available in Jamacia and Taiwan.

Quote Originally Posted by tedcousens View Post
    could you use phone in Europe when you have wi-fi connection?
    You would need a voice app that can use Wifi. Oovoo support told me that theirs would work. Skype should as well. I haven't tested it though. I bought a cheap Blackberry as a contingency though.