How good is your data connection?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I would like to compare my data speeds to others on the sprint network. I average about 200 to 300 kbps on 3g and about 1 mbps on 4g. What are the rest of you getting?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Robcy

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
500KB - 800KB down and 300KB - 400KB up on 3G
2.3MB - 5.1MB down and 700KB - 1.1MB up on 4G

all test run with speedtest.net app.

I have had one time peaks of 1.8MB on 3G, and 8.5MB on 4G.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I used a different app a few months ago and was getting 400s for download. Hmmm. Ill try again later at the times i tried last time and report back. Im in a heavily populated area with travelers from all over.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Wow that sucks. I never get over 300 kbps from my 3g connection with speedtest.

Last edited:

bipoler#AC

Banned
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Right mines sucked so bad I. Got new sidekick 4g is GREAT on low. It 5mpbs. I even seen 13mps amazing

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Right mines sucked so bad I. Got new sidekick 4g is GREAT on low. It 5mpbs. I even seen 13mps amazing

I just got rid of my 3 year old sidekick because where I live t mobile sucked. I had to pay for a land line for my house because I couldn't get reception at home. android is a much better os than danger. With a ton more apps.

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I get this with w/ speedtest.net:

3G: 1954kbps down - 621kbps up - 236ms ping time
4G: 11070kbps down - 990kbps up - 133ms ping time
Wifi: 29543kbps down - 2702kbps up - 19ms ping time

All in the basement of my house, although I sit within two feet from my Airave and wireless N with maximum signal on my phone - pretty close to outside speeds in a good signal area - this is with a rooted stock EC05 rom and kernel with a few patches, camera and video lag fix, call log fix, screen rotation recalibrate thru terminal services.

I am a happy camper as I also get around 20hrs per full charge on the way I use my phone - I leave everything on, wifi never sleeps, never shut gps off, always sync, but no BT as I don't use it - very rare 4G usage - I use 4 samsung OEM batteries, and simply pop a fresh one in every morning. With that being said, I can burn a battery down in 8 to 10 hours if I try and use it non stop - although I am not a gamer. I also use no battery saving apps, and I never use a task manager or manualy shut my apps off as I let the OS handle it. :) :cool:

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I just got rid of my 3 year old sidekick because where I live t mobile sucked. I had to pay for a land line for my house because I couldn't get reception at home. android is a much better os than danger. With a ton more apps.

t-mo's solution to crappy service is wifi dialing. Sprint's is the airave. I had to get an airave for my apartment, and I roam at work (waiting for them to call me on how much data i use, its 1x speed, so it can't be that much). I like the airave, but I think I would prefer not to have the device. Wonder how the T-Mo wifi calling is... can you send/receive text messages through it? I have wifi at home and at work that I could use.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the airave will help me much, I get the same crappy 200 - 300 kbps 3g anywhere in town. I also get the same 1 mbps 4g anywhere in town.

bipoler#AC

Banned
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm loving this new sidekick similar software to epic jus sacarfices on hardware slighty but the end jlustifys the means...I mean I'm in the BEST coverage area for both sprint @& tmobile...but sprint 4g just isn't cutting it...I think carries are confusing 4g speeds with 4g technology...either way tmobile is fast!

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Someone else posted something similar, poor signal strength. I think the two are related. Poor signal and slow speeds go hand in hand.
Also sprint has more smart phones then ever, and higher end devices too, which are using more data and i think taking its toll on the network. But thats just my guess.

TechnoGeezer

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I just measured WiFi, 3G & 4G at home; Values are an average of 5 separate measurements.
WiFi: 5427 kbps down / 2085 kbps up (wireless G router & Cablevision)
3G: 814 kbps down / 178 kbps up (usually 1 to 3 bars signal)
4G: 1388 kbps down / 64 kbps (???!) up ; signal strenght uncertain

What is up with the 4G upload speed? Now I know why I always use WiFi @ home.
I'm on stock EC05 Froyo, with only a few issues. I had DI18 before but didn't do the first Froyo update. I'm hoping the Gingerbread update (should it come) will improve stability, at least, but I'm afraid the speed issues are network related more than device hardware or software. Opinions?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Here are my results, and why I will probably switching to Verizon very soon:
snap20110505_022824.png

Airave Indoors (data is optimal cause its using your internet connection pushed through an EVDO-Rev.A mini tower)
snap20110505_023208.png

4G connection litterally right outside my door
snap20110505_023528.png

Airave off, 4G radio on in the apartment. Cannot get a connection (hence why I even got the Airave). Airave solves problem here, but I get 0 Sprint signal at work, must roam on Verizon and get 1x download speeds. Sprint sold most (or possibly all) of its towers a while ago. Anyone who tells you that the PRL doesn't matter doesn't realize that a roaming tower may be turned into a Preferred tower, so YES, IT DOES MATTER. Maybe not all the time, but if a tower by you gets switched, then it could be beneficial (or the opposite).
I'm in South Florida, work in Miami, so I'm in a 4G area for both WiMax and LTE. I've played with the Thunderbolt, and I'm quite jealous of the speed of LTE, unfortunately, of the 3 units I played with 2 had connection issues with LTE (not a good start, so no way in HELL I would consider that phone). The one that didn't have connection issues was in a different store and ran beautifully. That store is further away from where I live so I'm a little hesitant of the speeds I'd see. One thing's for sure... It'll penetrate buildings here a lot better (Hurricane proof = withstand wind speeds >>>150mph).

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Luckily Sprint works good for me in my area and the vacations spots that I have gone to. I am hoping that one day cell coverage will be a non issue regardless of carrier and as good as a landline - until then I keep my fingers crossed. Besides the fact that Sprint is still cheaper for me of all the carriers.

Even though I have a small rambler 2 level home 1800sq ft per level, I have two Airaves - one on each level, and each Airave is at the opposite ends of my home. The Sprint coverage map shows that I am in a good signal area, but if you zoom in on the map, it shows I live in a doughnut hole, if I move 1/8th of mile in any direction the signal is pretty good, just not where my home is :(

Also both of my Airaves is set for an optimum output for an 8000sq ft home - default out of the box is set for a 5000sq ft home. With that much output it is passable for my 3600sq ft home - ouch!

Luckily I use wifi (I also use two wireless N router access points cause I want to have the fastest speed possible for my two phones) and although without the Airaves turned on, I get good 4G but poor 3G - strange!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol