1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Does Epic's rear cover hold up?

I have 2 batteries for my Epic. I usually keep one on the charger and swap it out daily or as needed.

Has anyone done this for any length of time? I'm worried that repeated removal/re-installation of the rear cover would cause it to wear out and I'm not sure of the availability of replacement covers.

Thanks!
    Awesome Possum

ROM
    AOSP JB/CM9

No need to fear that back cover is SOLID. I have 2 batteries plus I am constantly pulling the back cover off because of rooting/playing around. I am sure some devs can jump in here and agree because those guys are probably doing it more than most users. This is the first time I have even seen a post about the back cover, so I think you are good.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts

Agree, I swap batteries a good bit, no problems.
    Thanked by:

You should be fine. Just take your time when pulling it off and try to release the clips with as little pressure on them as possible. I'm roughly 7 months on my Epic and my back cover is still in good shape.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,095 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock - but Rooted

I have four batteries - 3 in their own chargers and one in the phone that I rotate daily - in other words, I put a fresh battery in every night at midnight and have a fresh battery for the next start of day at 7am - although I did buy a spare back cover that is still in the bag since January.

I will sometimes pull the cover off more often if I am testing things and I have never had a problem so far.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 (tweaked and rooted)
    Samsung Epic 4G (retired rooted backup)
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    Apple iPad 3 (yes, I have one of those also)
    kickstand4u For all mobile devices

Oh my! I rooted my SGS3!
    Rock Solid and Perfect!
    Thanked by:

I have the Epic and the Samsung spare battery/charger.

My 2 battery related areas of concern are 1) The Epic back cover, and 2) The Epic's charger/data port

I don't want to wear out either (back cover or port).

I feel better about the back cover, at least.

-Gary K
    Awesome Possum

ROM
    AOSP JB/CM9

Quote Originally Posted by egkor View Post
    I have the Epic and the Samsung spare battery/charger.

My 2 battery related areas of concern are 1) The Epic back cover, and 2) The Epic's charger/data port

I don't want to wear out either (back cover or port).

I feel better about the back cover, at least.

-Gary K
    Umm yeah the mini usb port is another story. I am not sure if it is just me or because I also use the car dock but I definitely feel like my USB port is getting more loose. It still charges but occasionally I'll grab my phone while it is plugged in and the mini usb will just fall right out and because of that I am EXTREMELY careful while flashing anything with odin.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Great....thanks for all of the replies!

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

Mine's held up well, too, though I've only had it since mid-February. I love popping in a fully-charged replacement battery, all the while chanting the magic incantation, "If you don't have an iPhone, you don't have an iPhone...."

Global Posts
    184 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arhoolie View Post
    Mine's held up well, too, though I've only had it since mid-February. I love popping in a fully-charged replacement battery, all the while chanting the magic incantation, "If you don't have an iPhone, you don't have an iPhone...."
    Love the iPhone thing. I've had no problems with my cover thus far. The Mini USB However..........starting to loosen up quite a bit. Just as we all feared when we got these phones. Not sure if it's the male or female end though.
    Joe-KC2UUZ
    Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G on....Sprint

My back cover has seen better days. Top right never seems to want to fully close.. But I guess I can't really say I was gentle with it when I was first rooting my phone and had to constantly remove the battery

Sent from my Epic 4g using Tapatalk